In the market for a chainsaw - Page 4 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 PM   post #46 of 51
palmrose2
MTF Member

MTF Member # 72114
Default Re: In the market for a chainsaw

If I had .38 acres and needed a saw once in a while, I would spend $200.00 on a PP2050. That's Poulan Pro 20"bar 50 cc. I wouldn't hesitate.

There is a nice write up here. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/192321.htm

I use a 1974 Jonsereds 52 a small 50cc pro saw, a 1995 Jonsered 2050 (plastic crank case no problems, very light), and a PoulanPro 3516avx that has a better than stock bar and chain, and a muffler mod for increased performance.

P.S. "50 hour engine (homeowner) versus 300 hour (commercial)"

The EPA rating only indicates how long the polution levels the motor will operate at and still meet EPA emissions standards. It has nothing to do with motor longevity.

Last edited by palmrose2; 04-16-2012 at 05:11 PM.
palmrose2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 08:43 AM   post #47 of 51
jdemaris
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21690

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmrose2 View Post
If I had .38 acres and needed a saw once in a while, I would spend $200.00 on a PP2050. That's Poulan Pro 20"bar 50 cc. I wouldn't hesitate.
Yes - I've done that for several remote properties I own in the NY Adirondacks and northern Michigan. I consider the Poulans "throw-away" saws that - if stolen - I won't lose sleep over. I've got several in 55 cc, 50 cc, 42 cc, etc.

Poulan Pro product support is near zero and useless. Their saws don't make near the power that higher priced saws do with the same ccs. But - for the price - or occaisional use - makes a good deal. Especially if you buy for $140-$150 instead of the full $200 retail price.

Last time I needed an extra saw - I drove all around Presque Isle and Alpena counties in northern MI (lower peninsula). I refuse to buy a new saw with a plastic crankcase. I went to several Husqvarna dealers and most they had were plastic crankcase only. I also looked for good used saw. Finally gave up and bought several Poulan Pros from Home Depot and Tractor Supply. At least they have metal crankcases. Clamshell and not very big - but at least the crank and main bearings are all metal supported.

One of my new Poulans came with the so-called "tool-less" chain adjuster. What a useless piece of junk!. Near impossible to keep the chain tight with any serious cutting. I called product support and got nowhere. Finally - I removed the plastic single-nut tool-less device, drilled the bar cover, added two bar nuts and made use of the one stud that was there but not being used.

I've got the new 50 cc Poulan Pro. I tried to download an owner's manual from the Poulan Pro Website and they don't have one!. Like I said, awful product support. I also ran my 50 cc Poulan Pro alongside my 51 cc Makita/Dolmar. No comparison. Power-wise and cutting speed with the Makita/Dolmar is MUCH better. No comparison. But to be fair, the Makita/Dolmar DCS510 cost $330 with a 18" bar and two chains. The 50 cc Poulan Pro cost me $179 new with case.

Same when comparing my 55 cc Poulan Pros to my el-cheapo Husqvarna 455 or my pro-model EFCO 156. The Husky and EFCO with engines the same size as the Poulan Pro cut much faster. Huge difference. The 55 cc Husqvarna cost me $75 at a yard sale. The EFCOs were $320 each brand new when John Deere dealers dropped the line and were liquidating inventories. The 56 cc EFCOs are amazing pro saws.
Tractors: IH B275 (2), Case VAC,/VAC-14(2), Case DC (3) Ford 641, Shaw R12, MF35, Ferg TO35, Bolens Ridemaster, AC HD4/ HD6 dozer, Oliver HG dozer, Oliver OC46 crawler, Deere 300B TLB/ 1010 crawler, Ford 4000 TLB, Pettibone TLB, IH 3414 TLB
Garden tractors (over 100 ).
Chainsaws: Remington Mall (2), Sthil S10, 040, 041G, 045 Super, 051, 041 Super; Dolmar/Makita DCS510 and DCS6401, Echo(3), EFCO/Deere CS56 (3), Poulan Pro (4), Husqvarna 455, Hoe, Lombard 2 man, Homelites (over 20).
jdemaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 PM   post #48 of 51
palmrose2
MTF Member

MTF Member # 72114

My little 3516avx (42cc) had the tool-less chain tightener too. I agree it is junk, and I too modded the clutch cover to use a scrench. What impressed me the most about this PoulanPro is how much difference a muffler mod made. I couldn't stand to use it it was so weak. My bud had a Craftsman that was identical but for color. I let him try my little Poulan and in 10 minutes his Craftsman was on the workbench getting modded. I don't mind using my little yellow saw now.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 PM   post #49 of 51
Onan18
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 40653

A STIHL RS chain will REALLY make a difference on one as well. My Dad has a PP4218AV Classic and it was gutless from day one. Last fall I really needed a small saw as I was re-building my 026 PRO after I dropped a tree on it so I broke ouy the old Poulan, got it running, and put an RS chain on it and WOW, the dang thing cuts almost as good as my buddies 025!

Joe
Onan18 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 PM   post #50 of 51
palmrose2
MTF Member

MTF Member # 72114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onan18 View Post
A STIHL RS chain will REALLY make a difference on one as well. My Dad has a PP4218AV Classic and it was gutless from day one. Last fall I really needed a small saw as I was re-building my 026 PRO after I dropped a tree on it so I broke ouy the old Poulan, got it running, and put an RS chain on it and WOW, the dang thing cuts almost as good as my buddies 025!

Joe
I've got full chisels with no safety features on all my saws. Round file type. Carlton and Oregon. I've used Stihl chains in the past and had no problem with them.
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 08:01 PM   post #51 of 51
hairyapple
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 49515
Default Stihl

I have had and used my Stihl.024 for almost 30 years. It has never given me a days grief. It's got an 18" bar and electronic ignition. I recently bought an MS362 because I had a lot of black locust come down in last October's storm and they were getting the best of the little 024. So far I have these 2 saws, a back pack blower, a pole pruner and a brush cutter, all Stihl. They are easy to get parts for, always start and do what they were intended to. If you buy a 6 pack (6 ounces) of Stihl 2 cycle synthetic oil with the saw the warranty is extended for a 2nd year.
hairyapple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.