My Tractor Forum banner

wiring for B&S 12.5 flathead?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  fordphan 
#1 ·
Hi everybody;
I have a 12.5 I/C B&S that was given to me, the only problem is when they removed it they cut the wires. There are three wires that come out of the starter side of the engine. A black wire that goes to the coil, I think is a kill switch wire. There are two wires that come out from under the flywheel one is white and one is black, what do these connect to? Thanks

#2 ·
One of the pair should have a diode in it . It's 12v dc and goes to battery positive , possibly at keyswitch tab in common with lead from battery. Does you carb have an anti-backfire solenoid? If not the second wire of the pair is lkely AC for lights if it comes from under the flywheel with the other wire. I think the anti backfire wire , if it existed, is paired in a connector with the coil kill wire.

#4 ·
Using the motor info on the fan shroud, the B&S website might have an instruction booklet for that engine which would list the wire colors. I had to install a 12.5hp into a machine that had a 10hp, and the B&S website saved me time. The 'diode' was not on the 12.5, nor on the remaining wiring for the 10, inmy case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.