My Tractor Forum banner

SAE 30 or 10w30 Mobil1 for Kawasaki Air Cooled?

9K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  cheez 
#1 ·
Which Mobil 1 oil is best for the Kawasaki air cooled engine in our John Deeres?

#2 ·
10w30 after 50 hours of break in, IMHO it`s over kill. Just run a good grade of motor oil. Got over 340 hours on my 15 hp Kawa. and it starts on the first pull ever time. Never have to add a drop of oil between the 50 hour changers.

#4 ·
I ran Mobil 1, 10w30 in my X585SE year round and really liked it. Easier starting in the winter and ran cooler in the summer. slkpk

#5 ·
Best to do what the manual says, as far as oil weight goes. If you upgrade to synthetic, that's entirely up to you.

JMC:fing32:

#7 ·
I recently changed from the JD oil to Mobil 1. Don't know if it makes a big difference, but a less than 2 quarts it makes me feel better. PS>>I'm convinced that my X585 runs quieter.

#6 ·
As long as it's under warranty, I'm leaving it with what they ask for. I'm also using JD Oil. Better safe than sorry...

#8 ·
Oils and engines have evolved over the years. In the past you needed straight 30W oil. The use of muli-visc oils wasn't recommended because of excessive oil consumption. In some engines even today that still hols true. But you will find that now many engines give a temperature and viscosity range for you to help determine what type of oil to use. I think a multi-visc oil is a better choice, and that is what I would use. I would change the oil for the winter, and then change it for the spring/summer/fall. Quick thought, why do many auto/truck engines use 5-30 year round, when the temp.range for 5w-30 only goes so high?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.