My Tractor Forum banner

The Money Pit - 20' boat project

6K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  SnowMower 
#1 ·
I picked this boat up off of a buddy for $500.
Apparently it was a government seizure, boat was used for running smokes across the St Lawrence.
He had picked up the boat as project, but lost interest. I was looking for just such a project, because much of my fall fishing takes place on the Bay of Quinte (Lake Ontario) ... big water needing a bigger boat.

The boat itself is a blank canvass and perfect for this type of project. The only thing in it is the console with the steering wheel. The only problem with a blank canvass though is I have to buy everything I plan to add to the boat.
Specs:
20' long
7.5' wide
25" transome with 2' set back plate
weight = heavy - but no bad yet, wait till I fill it.

It didn't have a trailer when I bought it. My buddy put it on one of his little spare trailers to move around the yard.
So, I bought another boat and trailer, so that I could get the trailer underneath (my wife was really happy about that :00000060: )

Still to do (well, what's not to do really).

Add another axle under the trailer.
Paint the boat.
Get motor and rig it.
Wanna try to build a T-Top for it.
Need to add rod holders (want this thing set up to fish 4 comfortably).
Need to clean up the console (fill holes and repaint).

And the list goes on an on. Haven't made any real progress over the winter so far. Waiting for things to warm up in the spring to start on the paint.

Sorry for the long post and all the pics. Would love to hear your guys thoughts on body work (fiberglass) and adding a 2nd axle to a trailer.

thanks
Bill
(will update as progress is made)

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
As for the trailer. I had looked into doing that with mine. I have a real heavy 20' boat on a single axle trailer. They will live there, but you have to make sure the tires, axle, and springs are up to it. You will need big, high load range trailer tires.[I run 225/75r15's load range D] and check out the rest of your parts. If you want to study more, check out this place..

http://www.championtrailers.com/

They have a lot of info in there catalog, and web site.

Keep us up on the project, and ideas. I love a good boat project!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 ·
Overdue, but a few updates.

Got the center console painted.

Got the inside walls painted. (Used Varithane Plasticote. Neat stuff).

Found a power plant. 1997 force 120hp outboard. I got it for a song. :)
Came with manual, control, and 3 props for $750 ... the guy was starving ... so I helped him out.

Put the mowing fleet to work so I could paint the bottom.

Outside painted with a fancy royal blue stripe.

Still to come ...

A little bit of touch up paint here and there and the non-skid floor inside the boat.
Gotta get the motor mounted and connected.
After that it'll be little things like lights, bilge pumps, rod holders etc.

Hoping to have her done by early/ mid October for big water fishing trip.

Bill

#8 ·
Was hoping to have her seaworthy this fall, but I ran out of money and my wife ran out of patience. :00000060:

Did manage to get her on the trailer and haul her down to the water to see her float.

I'm pretty happy with the progress made for this year.
Now, she'll get treated to a 'tempo' garage and get put to bed. Will work on it here and there as time, money, and weather permits.

Bill

#12 ·
Actually, it is all interlux bright side.
While technically not for below the water line, because my boat is a trailer princess, I am told as long as it does not sit days in the water, it should be fine.

Funny, my boat buddies don't get the tractor humour. :)

Bill

#13 ·
Decided I NEEDED to fish out of this boat this.
I bought this boat for big water fishing, and we had a trip to Bay of Quinte (Lake Ontario) scheduled for Oct 27th.

I came up with a plan.
A buddy lent me an older 25hp that I mounted on a 'kicker bracket'. Tied the steering into it. The start and throttle is all controlled through the tiller.

Took it out for a test run on Sunday with a couple of buddies.

They made a mini-movie of it. :bannana:

The Money Pit - maiden voyage

Bill

#15 ·
Nice fish! Glad the boat worked out for your trip. I like your pretty lady's hat, looks VERY Canadian and also VERY warm.

#17 ·
The fish is a fresh water drum, also called sheaphead. One of the few actual native species to the Great Lakes. This one was just shy of 11lbs. They fight great!

I almost got a pic of her with a 10lb+ walleye, but I somehow managed to knock it off with the net before I landed it. :duh: Believe me, I am still hearing about it. :tsk:

Heading back this Sunday.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.