My Tractor Forum banner

Utility/ motorcycle trailer build

6K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  scottc785 
#1 ·
So, I've been wanting to build a utility trailer for some time now and I've finally gotten around to strating the build. I decieded I didn't want just a utility trailer but a trailer to haul a motorcycle too. I came across a boat trailer for really cheap so that's going to be the foundation of my build.

#4 ·
Hey Scott~ I was thinking of doing the same thing, build a trailer with 2 or 3 rails (movable) for motorcycles and large enough for a subcompact tractor. Hope you get your photos up online.

#9 · (Edited)

Ok so now that I have a pic here it is........I'm starting out with an old boat trailer. I stripped all the boat parts off and shortended the tounge. next i'm going to pull the hubs, get rid of all the old grease,clean.inspect and re-pack the bearings.I'm also going to pull the fenders off and sand and re-paint.

#14 ·
I don't care for how they have the axle attached to the springs. It is customary to use two U-bolts per spring, not one.

Now would be the time to take care of that.

#20 ·
:ditto: I totaly agree, I do not like the single U bolt set up at all, I know it may work, but the 2 U bolt per spring makes you feel a little more safe

Also make use you use a high grade U bolt, you best bet is to go to a trailer shop or the trailer section of a Boat/RV/TSC type store

#19 ·
Ok so after a week or better of battling the flu I finally got back out to the shop to work on my trailer. I haven't done a whole lot just finished up some welds and shot some paint on the trailer itself and the fenders. On the trailer frame I used Valspar implement gloss black which I think worked pretty good although I learned you have to really thin that stuff out......I swear it was like like trying to shoot cottage cheese lol. on the fenders I used Valspar rattle can chrome which is a real nice rattle chrome In my humble opnion. So that's it for now.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

#25 ·
:ditto:
^^^What he said.

For $40 or so, I'd add a second bolt.

Do you really want to risk having to repair your tractor if the trailer falls apart under it? Add on to it the hassle of leaving the trailer and tractor on the side of the road somewhere, and having to go get the big one to drag the whole mess home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.