My Tractor Forum banner

Does anybody have 44in tiller on a X540?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  bmurph44 
#1 ·
I went and looked at one today but the owner had no lifting arms with it, he was using the arm and linkage from a 3 point hitch setup which attaches from the side of the rear housing frame or whatever you call it. I'm looking for a picture, drawings etc. or somebody that has one and can tell me what it takes to hydraulically lift the tiller.

That 44 inch tiller was way bigger than I had imagined from the pictures I had seen, almost too big.

#2 ·
The 30" tiller has no problems getting the job done.... I know, I owe a report on mine and I'm working on it - It's been a busy week at home.

When I go to look up parts for the 42" tiller (and diagrams) all it will show is for the 30" tiller... Odd.

#4 ·
I don't know.... When I was looking for a used tiller I had to price out the parts individually. When the new tiller arrived from JD, all the parts except for the three large pieces below were in one bag with a JD sticker and a JD part number. I will see if I can still find that bag.... The problem parts are going to be the lift rod (M154256, M154251, M76877), the brace (AM135571) and the link(M154255).

#5 ·
I was just curious, I haven't bought it yet. I'm hesitating because that 44in tiller is so big, I think a 30 would be best for me but finding a decent used one cheap is gonna be a challenge. I have to go to my JD dealer tomorrow to pick something up so I'll try to find out about the lifting stuff then.

#6 ·
Not sure if I'm going to provide any useful info here but I'll try.
The tiller in your avatar looks VERY similiar to my Ariens tiller. It is 32 or 34 I can't remember which. Anyways in the pic below you can see how it mounts. It has "hooks" on the two bottom corners that hang on the pins that would retain your lower arms in a 3 pt hitch set up, the top slides into where your top link would connect and then there is one arm that connects to 1 lift arm (right side of tractor if looking at it from the rear) which provides the lift. I'm not sure how the larger models attach.

#7 ·
Not sure if I'm going to provide any useful info here but I'll try.
The tiller in your avatar looks VERY similiar to my Ariens tiller. It is 32 or 34 I can't remember which. Anyways in the pic below you can see how it mounts. It has "hooks" on the two bottom corners that hang on the pins that would retain your lower arms in a 3 pt hitch set up, the top slides into where your top link would connect and then there is one arm that connects to 1 lift arm (right side of tractor if looking at it from the rear) which provides the lift. I'm not sure how the larger models attach.
greenenvy, thank you but I was referring to a newer 44 inch tiller for my X540. That picture is my 40ish year old 300 with a 33 tiller, a real workhorse for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.