My Tractor Forum banner

Got me a Heald Super Bronc today

29K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  Savian1973 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, boy I like CL found me a Heald VT-7 Super Bronc while it's not a beauty queen it does run and drive and it will give me some thing to do this fall/winter. Here she is:

This is the Trail Bronc that I finally got running.

GB in MN :trink39:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Great find GB in MN,

- you will have fun rides with that "Heald" and the "Super Bronc" model / very nice

Here is a link I found / as I didn't know about all the mini bikes in production, years ago:
http://www.minibikeclub.com/members/gallery.shtml

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

#4 ·
Thanks guys the Trail Bronc VT3 has a 5 hp Tecumseh and the Super Bronc VT7 has a 7 hp Tecumseh, the SB has electric start which is nice . Will strip both this Fall/winter and repaint etc.
GB in MN

#10 ·
Hi eveled,whose the mfg, the one with no engine kind of looks like a Tote goat(?) the other I have not seen before.
Yea Motown, thats a good mini bike site, lots and lots of photos and information there.
GB in MN

#11 ·
Here's a couple of photos since I've been working on the Super Bronc and got it running rode it more today:

#12 ·
Awesome find. The fact that it has all the parts is a huge accomplishment in itself. I wasn't so lucky. I got my hands on a Superbronc that has the wheels the fenders and even a good Tec 10th motor but I can't find the clutch/brake combination Tav. This didn't have the jackstaff setup but I am sure it would work if I flipped the rear wheel but would rather have th the tav and brake all in one deal. I have had a few people promise to get me one over the last few months but here I am without the Tav. If anyone has one let me know.

Again awesome find. I would also like to find a trail bronc eventually.

#15 ·
Hi Guys, SERadtke, I'm near Alexandria, MN, when did you buy your Super Bronc and which model is it?
Savian1973, yea finding a Tav system can be tough, I have seen them on e bay once in a while and the sell for lots of money. Have you talked to Ron at Power Tec in Benton Harbor, Mi. from what I learned from him is the 10 hp was very hard on the Tav system a little to much torque for the system so later on Heald came out with the VT-10-40 which used the bigger clutches like on the Super Trykes and went back to a jackshaft with the rear wheel turned back like the VT-7's but I can understand wanting to try and keep it original. Mine is a VT-7 with the 7hp Tec. Here's a couple of photos of it now:

#17 ·
Hi I bought my Super Tryke in 1981 the kids just about run the wheels off it about 4 yrs ago I restored it and I use it all the time wouldn't couldn't be with out it. Started out with the std 8 hp Tec but in about 1990 switched to a 11 hp electric start Honda what a great machine.
GB in MN

#18 ·
When we ordered our kit, we got all the options. Bench seat, carrying racks, hyd. disc brakes, reverse, and a Briggs twin (I think it's 16hp). I had to re-engineer the brake system.... I ended up using a master and two calipers off of a ZR580 which works MUCH better! It has been a great machine, we keep it up at the lake and use it there.

#20 ·
Hi GB, thanks for some insight. I did speak with Ron and he said with all new parts I could be looking at 5-6 hundred dollars which is way out of my range. I wouldn't even mind flipping it but I hasn't even seen a tav and jackstaff for a SB 1040. It's almost come to the point where I may just sell it or trade it along with some cash and find another super bronc or trail bronc. This would be my last choice of course. This just seems depressing. :) lol I just want to getting running so bad. Any other suggestions?

#22 ·
FYI, there is a company making a system that is supposed to be TAV compatible/equivalent. If you do an internet search for Torq-A-Verter you should come up with the company that sells them. Don't know anything about it, just know they are available. Of course they are not cheap, but from what I understand cheaper than Ebay for true Comets.

Paul

#23 ·
Hi dritybernie, yep thats my Rupp was going to restore it this winter but haven't gotten to it yet I need a drive clutch for it and a set of tires both are not cheap but will get on it one of these days.
Hey Shawn, yea I ordered the cargo boxs later upgraded to the hyd brakes but didn't get the tranny with reverse sometimes wish I had, did get the nfull electrical a speedo squeeze bulb horn and a windshield (that's the windshield I put on the Super Bronc). I need a cable for the speedo its a VDO speedo haven't been able to track one down yet, if you know of a source I'd appreciate it.
Savian1973, the VT-19-40 didn't you a TAV they used the Comet 40 clutch set up the driven clutch(40) uses a 3/4" jackshaft they had a jackshaft set very similar to the TV-7 but the -40 had a hyd disc brake setup on the jackshaft and drive chain is on the RH side. The Chinese are building TAV system and they are less money then comet systems but in talking with Ron he says even though they look alike parts will not interchange. Have no idea of the quality I've asked but no one has used them enough to have a good feel for how they will standup. Here's a photo of the Super Tryke:

GB in MN

#25 ·
Hi Paul, I wasn't putting them down(at least didn't intend to) I have thought seriously about their clutches was just saying so far its hard to get reliability reports and that the parts are not interchangeable but that will probably be the way I go when I get to the Rupp. The way people bid up comet clutches on e bay is nuts(at least I think). Lots of folks knock Chinese products well in the 50's and 60's the same was said about Japanese products. I have a Harbor Freight 6.5 hp clone engine cost $130.54 with shipping and it runs just great starts instantly as good as any Briggs or Tec in my book.
GB in MN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.