My Tractor Forum banner

425 - Silicone sealant for rear K92 trans-axle cover / rear PTO.

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Tomadvanced 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I have a used rear PTO for my 425 on the way, and was wondering what silicone sealant would be best to use to form a proper seal to the K92 trans-axle? One that also has longevity, once and done.

Some type of RTV Silicone Gasket Sealant; red, black, gray, copper, or blue?

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
ditto on the black....but dont use to much! I never put enough sealant on to squash out, cause if it squashes out where you can see it, then it probably squashed out internally as well!

#5 ·
Black or Gray. Use gray on auto differential covers.

#6 ·
I like the red high temp RTV which is what I used on my K46. Autozone sells a product called "The Right Stuff" I think Permatex makes it, its an RTV in an aerosal can so you don't have to squeeze the tube. This stuff works really well sealing anything! I 've used it on automotive transmission pans and oil pans in place of cork gaskets and it never leaks.

#8 ·
Silicone and hydraulics don't mix well. If you're going to use silicone be very very careful that none of it ends up in any spots where it can come into contact with the hydraulic fluid once everything is back together.

Why not buy a new gasket from JD and not worry about any kind of sealant? Did the original installation instructions say to use a sealant?

#9 ·
Just a note about the 'too much' caution. I keep a box of cheap latex/plastic gloves in the shop. When applying sealer I don a glove and use it to wipe a THIN coat on the gasket both sides. Much easier to get a consistently thin coat that way. And, lots easier to clean my hands!

#10 ·
Thank guys. I picked up a tube of Permatex ultra black RTV for autozone. It should do the trick. I hear you guys in regards to using a small amount. Just enough for form a seal. When the parts come in I'll get a better idea of how much to use.

Nouveau *******: There actually is no gasket for the rear PTO/plate. It's sealed with RTV from the factory. The JD part number is TY24344 (Clear RTV, 3 oz. tube).

#11 ·
In general, I like grey Permatex silicone. On engine case halves, cam boxes, manual transmissions with no gaskets (with two machined mating surfaces)I use Loctite 574. Hylomar with paper or cork gaskets. Rubber gaskets dry with grey silicone on inside corners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.