My Tractor Forum banner

Engine Block Heater Question??

18K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ccsial 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Just wondering what everyone else does.

How long do you leave your engine plugged in before using??
I thought I read somewhere you are not supposed to leave it plugged in all the time, not even the night before just a couple of hours/minutes? I don't know.. Can not seem to find where I read that.

Then my follow up question is:
After its been plugged in for the right amount of time, how hot is it? By looking at the gauge is it what it is for normal operating of less?? I would assume it would be and should be less but how much???

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated
Thanks.

#3 ·
I wouldn't think more than a couple of hours on a small engine. I leave my Dodge Ram Diesel plugged in overnight if the temp is going to get near 0. It helps with the engine, but the power steering fluid gets so thick, it's hard to steer until it warms up. I could probably do just as well with 2 hours.

#4 ·
OK, Let me rethink this. I agree with two hours, doesn't seem to long or anything. I just don't know. However is that the same for when your tractor sits in a garage that may get below freezing for 14 days a year?? Normally garage is between 40F to 50F depending how much the overhead door goes up and if I turn the heat on if I'm working in there.

Also if you could tell me where your temp needle is in the gauge after its been plugged in that long it would be great. I have not had mine plugged in real long I guess, but every time now it has been under 1 hour and the needle seems be be above the cold line but not to the start of the green line.

#5 ·
I have used a block heater for 5 plus years and would not go without one. Like yourself, I have a nice garage and it rarely gets below 40F in there and for the most part, the cord is not even hooked up to the tractor, but if I anticipate a snow or use, I do like the guys above suggest, a 2-hour cycle using a timer. As you may know, the 2210/2305 unless someone has modified the unit does not have temp needles, but rather idiot lights. However, I will say after two hours you can put your hand on the block and you can feel warmth. Personally, I like the way it starts and operates, smooth and very easy start. Personally, I see no disadvantage in owning a block heater. This is not to imply the unit will not start in cold weather using different techniques, i.e., cycling the engine while the mower deck is engaged or leaving it in hi or low range, because it will start, but I personally do not like the way the engine sounds on that initial start up and prefer to use the block heater.

#7 ·
My neighbor always just plugged his big Cummins powered farm tractor in for abt 2hrs prior to use in the winter regardless of the temps. He has never had an engine related failure. We do get some pretty cold weather here in the winter as well.

#10 ·
My '90 VW heats up nice and warm in less than an hour. Nice to have as diesel's don't put out much heat from the defroster, well not until the engine is spinning fast (on the highway) at least. My old '86 Turbo Diesel heated up much fast and gave more heat. It had to be because of the oil inter-cooler hooked into the radiator flow I guess?
MU

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.