My Tractor Forum banner

John Deere 655, 755, 855, 955 series

202K views 149 replies 46 participants last post by  STLSteve 
#1 ·
Anyone have one of these units? Likes and dislikes? There seem to be a decent amount of them around without a ton of hours and prices seem ok too. Just curious if they have any known issues or problems. Thanks!

#2 ·
I've been doing some research on a 755 (way too big for what I need day-to-day) as a do all sort of tractor for the 5-10 acres I hope to buy in the future. Yes, I know that's cart before the horse. I'd also do some bush hogging with it for a little side money.

I cannot find a doggone thing wrong with the 755. New enough that parts and service are no problem, plenty of parts and accessories, yet small enough to store and work on in the exurban garage/shed. Also as you note, price is pretty good as well.

#3 ·
Hook,

I had a 755 for a number of years and it was a great tractor -- just a little big for my needs. It's hard to compare these series to today's tractors, but I would put the 755 very close to the 2520. I really liked the balance and weight distribution, speed of hydraulics, and comfort. Little things like the two sets of lights, location of the 4WD lever, and ability to climb off and on the tractor without shifting to neutral and setting the brake were nice. :)

#4 ·
No doubt it is way more than I need...but some of the prices you see on these units make it all too tempting!:thThumbsU

#5 ·
Hook,

Then go for it! :) My size comment was sort of time dated. What I have done to my landscaping over the years since the 755, it would probably work out just fine. On another note, my wife loved the 755 but hasn't warmed up to the 2210 (maybe that's a good thing) :)

#6 ·
I have an 855 for all the small stuff around the farm...
Plus...no funky fan for the transmission...:D
...fairly bulletproof...as i use it like my AG tractors...have raked and tedded with it...;)
Minus...
The two sets of forward lights were made semi-useless with the FEL in place...:rolleyes:

Some parts are no longer available new, you would have to get them thru a parter

#7 ·
Before getting a job in corporate America, I sold Deere L/G and CUT equipment
at a local dealer. The 655, 755, 855, 955 were new at that time and we sold many of them. The only issue that I recall is that the 655 is somewhat short on power for FEL use; the Hydro uses enough that the tractor is nowhere as powerful as the larger 755, 855, 955. With that said, choose your tractor with size and intended use in mind.

#9 ·
I am amazed with what our 855 has done since new in '95. Other than fixing flat tires, replacing worn tires, a few dead batteries, a few broken hydro hoses and snapping off the front right axle/knuckle the thing has been used and abused and keeps on chugging. It stays outside uncovered year round (cant stand this, it is my dads machine, everything of mine is washed and usually under a cover stored in the garage...I wonder why?) and other than physcically breaking something, it has never just "broke" down on us. It has been used as a skidder clearing house and tower lots, wooded areas from blown downs (100'+ tall red pines) excavated foundations for towers and one 40' x 60' hole after blasting for a house foundation. A few years ago, I hauled enough red pine out of the woods with it to cut up over 3000 board feet into 2x6's. Every year it is used to mow,split and haul firewoor, and clear snow.

Maybe others can give input, but I am not quite sure my 155C will hold up as well as the 855 has! LOL

#10 ·
I've read nothing but great things about the 755. There's one here locally that the dill hole JD dealer can't sell because he's a jerk and is asking way too much. I looked at it and it's a very nice machine. Just was too big for what I needed or otherwise I would have asked my good JD dealer to find one for me.

#11 ·
I have a 950 which is the gear transmission, older version of the 955. It is a very capable machine and I would buy another in a heartbeat.

As has said above, routine maintenance is about all that I've had to do to mine. The only significant issue that I've had is a gasket failure between the bell housing and transmission, allowing the loss of hydraulic fluid. It took me about a day to replace the gasket and the lock washers that allowed the bolts to back out causing the failure.

The Yanmar engines are very dependable. I have almost 1700 hours on mine and it doesn't use a drop of oil between changes. It sips fuel too.

In summary, if you can get a good deal on a 55 series, you won't be disappointed.

#12 ·
Kind of thinking out loud here!

I'm mulling over the idea of replacing my JD 58-520, 2554 Bush hog ZTR (54" w/25 HP Kohler), & JD 69-140 H1 w/Johnson loader with a 955 or similar JD tractor w/loader. I would like to, at least, "break even" on the deal. Looks like around $10,000!

I would probably need the 30+ HP to mow some heavy brome grass & weeds (2'-3' tall) at the farm once a year. How wide of a brush cutter could I expect to pull? I don't have to be in a big hurry to mow it, just field edges.

Would mostly be used for loader work, with some mowing & blade work.

Any thoughts? ~~ grnspot110

#13 ·
I run a five foot King Kutter hog on mine. It handles it great.

#14 ·
What about the 855? I see a lot of price difference (CL) for the 9 HP. Would it handle a 4' cutter, are the smaller cutters hard to find? I've been using a 6' Rhino on my 520, I know the smaller tractor won't handle that, but the smaller equipment would be easier to transport. Farm is 30 miles from home, I have the trailers I need.

Little history, I grew up farming with two-cylinders & have changed my collecting habits to garden tractors. Just don't need the bigger tractor anymore, except for 1-2 days mowing/year! ~~ grnspot110

#15 ·
The 855 will handle a four foot brush hog very well. I don't know that I would put a five footer behind it or not. It might handle it well, but I feel the machine is more matched for a four footer.

#17 ·
I have had 655, 755, 855 and cant say anything bad about them. 655 was a little underpowered but I now use it for a spray tractor only and it has over 2300 ours on it. 755 and 855 have over 2500 hours on both of them. they are a tank, and todays 2305, and 2520 dont compare. The 2520 I have seems top heavy, and the 2305 just doesn't measure up to the tank like attitude of the 55 series.

#18 ·
I'm still researching this!

Could somebody get me the width & length (w/loader) of the 955?

Also considering a gear drive, maybe 790, 870, or 950. Wouldn't be as handy for loader work, I know. But I'm kinda' "old school", I like the taller back wheels! Also see more ag & industrial tires on the gear drives, a must for me & expensive to replace the turfs.

Thanks, grnspot110

#19 ·
Man...I should have jumped on the deal that prompted me to start this thread last year....was a 755 with sub 1000 hours. Had a front plow and rear ag tires...everything worked....he wanted $3,600 for it...cosmetically looked good too. "Sigh"....guess hindsight is always 20/20.

#21 ·
Sorry, all the tractors are gone. I went by there yesterday and the only JD stuff he has left is a gator, excavator, and a trailer. Everything else is gone and he's a Simplicity dealer now.

#22 ·
I have a 655. It may be under powered for what some of you guys want but it works great for me. I do landscaping here at my house and I love the little thing. I just bought a 4ft tiller and it runs it with no problems. I have picked up some pretty heavy loads with the bucket too.

I paid $5000 for mine. 1250hrs and a few new parts. Came with a bucket, belly mower and a ballast box.

Jason

#23 ·
Sounds to me like you got a good deal, northern.

#24 ·
I've had a 755 since 1989, bought it brand new. I can't say enough good things about this tractor. I use it almost everyday on the farm and the only thing I've had to do with it is replace a couple of glow plugs and replace the fuel pick-up tube. Oh, and I also put new tires on it.

#30 ·
I recently purchased a 955 with a Model 70A Front End Loader for $4000. This is not a running tractor however. It is a "Tractor in a Box". The previous owner had overheated the original motor and then purchased a shortblock for the tractor and hired a "Non-Mechanic" to assemble the block. Needless to say, my brother and I picked it up in pieces.

We have since completed the teardown and reassembly of the block and should have it installed later this week. So far I am impressed with this little engine. It is a well built sturdy little engine with close tolerances.

While we were at it, we started looking at the old short block and found that the #3 piston had seized. We popped the pistons out and ran a bottle brush in the cylinders, and there are NO scratches. In my spare time I will most likely redo this block as well so that I can have a spare sitting on the shelf.

I have also included a picture of the grill that I have rebuilt for this tractor!

Attachments

#32 ·
I have also included a picture of the grill that I have rebuilt for this tractor!
Awesome job and cool idea on the grill! I had to straighten ours out as it started to corrode near the battery and fell of while working the woods. It went un noticed until it was half way w***** around the front left tire! Wanted to buy a replacement until I found out how crazy expensive they were. We have replaced the muffler, a few front tires from punctures, a front steering knuckle and several batteris on the 855. Not bad for almost 1000 hours of work and being stored out in the elements for the last 15 years:Stop:

#31 ·
I worked for a farmer who started doing excavation and he had a 955 cannot emagin all of the things we put that tractor through. Mmm mowing, spraying with homade triples front and rear. What a site that was. But if this guy could dream it , the tractor could do it. Or at least try. He sold it back when JD put out the 4400 series. the tracto is still going strong. I know the fellow who boght it. Basisly bullet proof.

#33 ·
Friend of mine has a 955 with the 70A loader and we took the grill out because it kept trying to fall out. He loaned it to me for two weeks and I had so much fun digging a hole in the middle of the woods for no reason.

#34 ·
About the only problems I've ever seen were with the front axles if folks greatly overworked them. What I mean is going into a pile of dirt and getting a bucket so heavy that the back wheels would be off the ground. This would eventually shell the front gears in the hubs. The good thing is these were limited to landscapers and commercial guys, and the rest of the tractor would be trashed as well. So, it was easy to tell it had a bad life. They were also usually 955's.

Some early models had bad paint adhesion and the paint would flake off in sheets. Most have probably been repainted by now though.

Excellent, excellent machines otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.