My Tractor Forum banner

Time to buy! X500 or Conquest??

21K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  Haulin' Daze 
#1 ·
I have narrowed it all down to 2 tractors. Deere X500 or Simplicity Conquest. Let's have some chatter from the experts to help me!

Mowing a little over an acre, mostly flat with 1 good slope (wouldn't quite call it a hill). Snowblowing about 175' pretty flat, paved driveway with a pad at the house. Pull a cart with some mulch/rocks a couple time a year. No ground engaging. If I were JUST mowing, I'd look at the X320 or Broadmoor.

So, I want something that will last 15-20 years with regular maintainance. The Wife will use it on rare occasions while I'm away. I am equal distance from both dealers (5 miles in opposite directions). Both dealers have been in business for decades and have good reputations.

I originally wanted something with hydraulic or electric lift for the blower in the event the Wife has to use it. I just got back from checking out the Conquest w/2 stage blower and it was pretty easy to raise/lower without any hydraulics/electricity. I have a quote with the electric lift on the X500. Simplicity seems to have better financing options right now than Deere.

Both seem more than capable for what I'll be doing. I am not tied to either brand. I have quotes for both with blowers/weights/chains and turbo/powerflow baggers.

I would LOVE some input! Engines, tranny, grass cut, ease of use, blowing, etc.

Thanks!:fing32:

See less See more
#2 ·
X500 has a Tuff-Torq K72 trans and It is a Mid Level Garden tractor
Conquest has a Tuff-Torq K66 trans it is advertised as More of a Yard Tractor It can take a Tiller and there is a 1point Hitch(sleeve Hitch) available for it Not strongly advertised By Simplicity The Top of the Line Model conquest Has Power steering which would be a nice feature for snow Blowing Deere takes Both those a tiller and sleeve Hitch as well Both Tractors have diff/lock.

I would suggest Going with a Conquest with a Briggs over the Kohler Courage twin The Briggs have Electronic Fuel Management. Here is another thing to Look at with Both How easy are the Blower to go On and I know there Deere is Very easy and straight forward. But for your Intended Purpose either One would do Both are fine Machines:thThumbsU

#3 ·
If money were less of an issue to me, I would of bought Simplicity because I love their striping / cut quality.

But, comparing the Kawasaki and TT k72 transmission in the Deere vs TT K66 and Kohler/Briggs in the Conquest.. (I got a Courage and K66 in my $2500 Sears) I may lean Deere if that is your max price range.

I would take a Prestige over an x500 or x520+ though.

You might want to check if there are any Sears PGT9500 (basically a rebadged Prestige w/o deck roller) left at the Sears outlet stores?

#4 ·
Good input so far! I knew the X500 had a little beefier tranny, but it is also more $$. Correct me if I'm wrong but the tranny in the Conquest is NOT the same as the X320 right? I know that is not serviceable. Again, both are probably more machine than what I need, but I want it to last. Both of these have serviceable tranny's that I can change fluid/filters, right?

I originally compared the Prestige to the X500w/electric lift, then concluded the Prestige is much more tractor (and more $$) and it was kind of apples to oranges.

I know the X500 is more than enough for my uses, and the X320 was not. To me, the Conquest kind of falls between them (even though it's a different brand).

X500 has electric lift, 44"blower, 1 weight, 7 bushel powerflow bagger and "I'll even throw in a hat for you and pink one for the wife". :bellyemot $8282

Conquest has 42" 2 stage blower, 4 50lb weights, chains, 10 bushel turbo bagger. $7900

I should also say the Simplicity dealer will double the warrantee to 4 years, free delivery/pickup/drop off for service, and free loaner if needed.

#11 ·
I should also say the Simplicity dealer will double the warrantee to 4 years, free delivery/pickup/drop off for service, and free loaner if needed.
Just make sure You get that in writing from Him on doubling the warranty Unless it a extended warranty from Briggs Outdoor Power But I see they changed to a K-66L Sealed Trans on the Conquest and That right There Makes Me want to say Run Away from the Conquest Unless You get them to Put in the drain Kit for it which is available from Tuff-Torq No Parts Number for it in the Simp Parts Catalog Just a reference Number 16 Just for this class of tractor I think it a Bad Idea to have a sealed Unit It fine to have a sealed unit on a Lawn tractors Not a Yard tractor though technically the Conquest fall in along the Lines of a GT and it Looks Like the conquest with Power steering is still totally serviceable without having to Get a drain Kit :thThumbsU

#5 ·
Oh yeah, 46" mower on Conquest vs 48" on X500. Suposedly Simplicity has a nicer cut?

And it's the 23 hp Kohler on the Conquest. Simplicity dealer actually told me that the 23 Kohler is a better engine than the 24 hp B&S. Says the Kohler has been around a lot longer and rarely does his dealership see them come in with issues.

#6 ·
I can see your dilemma here.

I have two questions to make the comparison more equal:
1) Is the JD a two stage blower as well. The 2 stage are a lot more expensive than single stage blowers.
2) Is it correct that the JD comes with only one (42 lb) weight. If so you will need 3 more to compare to the Simplicity. Actually in weight it is almost 4 more as you will then compare 210 lbs vs 200 lbs. This is an additional $ 150 on the Deere cost.

Anyway based on what you are planning to do I think the TT K66 will be plenty for you. Unless you have big hills or is a very big guy :thThumbsU

I am personally a big Kohler fan, but that is limited to the Command engines. I have heard a lot of issues with the Courage engines. That being said I have never owned or used one myself.
But if I was in the same situation I would likely go with the Briggs engine. It is more of a gut feel and I would like to see the engines in person before making a decision. If you have a good relationship with your dealer I would trust him though.

One word of caution as you are mentioning having the tractor for 15-20 years. I believe either of those engines are likely in the 750 to 1000 hour rating range. At 20 years that is 35-50 hours per year.
I am putting 75+ machine hours on per year, but I also have a 5 acre lawn to take care of as well as a long driveway to snow blow.

Finally a very important issue will be how comfortable you are on working on the tractor yourself. The 4 year warranty with free pickup and loaner is a very strong offer.
So I would say for less money and with better service/warranty I would go with the Simplicity.

PS: Yes, you can see on my signature line that I am a Simplicity fan. That being said I have not bought a Simplicity that was less than 8 years old and none from a dealer. So I think my comments are still balanced. It was a bit of a coincidence that I ended up with the Simplicity tractors - but I like having 2 (or 3) identical tractors when they are used. Before these I had 2 Craftsman GT5000 tractors.

#8 ·
I can see your dilemma here.

I have two questions to make the comparison more equal:
1) Is the JD a two stage blower as well. The 2 stage are a lot more expensive than single stage blowers.
2) Is it correct that the JD comes with only one (42 lb) weight. If so you will need 3 more to compare to the Simplicity. Actually in weight it is almost 4 more as you will then compare 210 lbs vs 200 lbs. This is an additional $ 150 on the Deere cost.

Anyway based on what you are planning to do I think the TT K66 will be plenty for you. Unless you have big hills or is a very big guy :thThumbsU

1. Yes, they are both 2 stage blowers. JD MSRPs theirs for $1499.

2. The quote says 1 weight from JD. I know they can be found cheaper at a box store. Simplicity is 4 50lb weights and bracket.

3. I go 195 lbs dry. 205 lbs with liquid in me. Right now I'm closer to 205! :drunkie:

BTW, is there anything else I should be looking at?

#7 ·
You are correct, The Conquest is an upgrade from the x320. (K66 vs K5x series). The K66 can have an optional external filter for serviceability. Mine was not equipped with that option, so you may want to check.
TuffTorq lists the K66 as a ground engaging transmission (Deere used to sell an entry level GT with it) but Simplicity likes to go overkill.

The early Courage single cylinder engines got a bad reputation. I think the twins are now good enough, like many engines check the oil at every use, and you should do fine.

I do really like the sound of your Simplicity dealer, )you do know what you are looking at, so I'm back to leaning Simplicity.

Fwiw, it does look like Searsoutlet still lists a few
PGT9500's for $4100-$4400 (then add a few hundred for shipping). A killer deal to get a Prestige frame transmission, power steering and deck lift. (But a 30hp Briggs) ... But you do not get the dealer.

#9 ·
Oh the joys of living where the tractor gods refuse to shine their lights. I found a "reconditioned" PGT9500 at an Outlet Store on the other side of the country and shipping would cost me $555.13. Oh! But if I have a Sears card I can get it for 0% for 12 months. I took one look at the information they want from me for that card and said No Thanks.

Do a "Ship-To-Store" transfer and I'll "gladly' pay the nearly 9% sales tax to see what I'm buying before I put down my rapidly diminishing pension dollars.

Regards,

Dan

#13 ·
Although not new, I have had a JD 345 and both a Conquest and Prestige. I ended up keeping the Prestige. Engines are the heart of the matter, and I am not sure which you are seriously considering, but the better the engine the longer your satisfaction...as long as you maintain it correctly. I prefer the Vanguard and Command. It did seem like my Vanguard used less gas than the Command or Kawasaki engines. The JD snow blower went on easier than the Prestige snow blower, but only taking it off and putting it on, one time each a year, leaves little difference in the few extra minutes. Both blowers worked very well. Most of the time I am using the tractor to mow. The Simplicity deck never scalped the high spots in my yard, while the JD did. Also my powerflow units had differences. The JD had a plastic fan...the Simplicity fan was metal, which I preferred. Lastly, having seen so many broken JD hoods, and "bumpers", I really prefer the metal hood on the Simplicity. Although I used the power lift when tilling, it is not really needed for everyday use. It may be easier in lifting the snowblower, but also it does not work when the tractor is not running, where the manual lift does... something to consider, just in case you were to break down while out blowing snow. Not positive on this, but I think the Simplicity came with 4-Ply original tires. I hope some of my thoughts are helpful, even though they do not apply to new equipment, which I have never owned and don't know much about.

#15 ·
Thanks for all the great input guys. I WAS leaning a little more toward the Conquest, but started reading more about the k66 trnny. I was under the impression that it is fully servicable. From what I've read, that is not true. You CAN change the oil (although I've been reading it is very difficult unless modified), but there is no filter. Once it goes it's about $1200 for a new one, not including labor.

The X500 has a k72 correct? That IS servicable right? Should something go wrong, they would be able to crack it open and fix it, not just throw it away, right?

Again, I WILL NOT be doing ground engaging stuff, I just want it to last.

Thanks again for all info!:trink39:

#16 ·
Yes the K72 is serviceable on the X500 The K72 on the X500 does not have a external filter though (external filter only on X530, X534 & X540) But a Internal filter this has Been pretty commonly used in many Deere Garden tractors without Hydraulic Lift But it does have a drain Plug item Number 26 & if You want a removable filter there is a Kit From Tuff-torq as well which fits In front of Item Number 30 & 31 Now there is a Kit available to convert that K-66L back into the same setup as the K-66AC with a internal filter or the K-66L can be set up with a drain Plug at a extra cost. All I have to say on this One There Goes Briggs changing a Proven system again slowly the quality that Simplicity once was in being eaten away:banghead3
for example the current 46inch deck shell is Based on a Older Murray Deck design

K-72B used in X500

:thThumbsU

#23 ·
....if You want a removable filter there is a Kit From Tuff-torq as well which fits In front of Item Number 30 & 31...
Sergeant,

I contacted tech support at Tuff Torq back in March 2011 to ask about installing the externally accessible filter on the K72B. Derrick in tech support said that the internal charge pump that is used in K72B is not setup to accept the filter. I seem recall reading elsewhere too that the filter will infact fit but no fluid will every get pumped through it. The charge pump would have to be upgraded.

#17 ·
I am somewhat under the impression the "serviceable" means the oil is easily changed.

Integrated hydros are all very complex. I am fairly sure you can buy replacement parts for a K66. I would ask the dealer if changing the oil is allowed under warranty. Is that a service they can perform?

(In higher-end equipment, there are seperate hydro pump, motor and transmission, and it is "easier" to rebuild 1 of the 3 components vs replacement.

The external filter would do more oil impurity filtering vs an internal filter that is mostly a screen for catching metal filings.

I am not hugely concerned with the k66 for your use, it is a bit overkill and that's a good thing.

#19 ·
I agree that the k66 is probably perfectly fine, but I read a couple different guys on other forums talk about their k66 conquest junking out on them after a couple years. They were told $1200 for a new tranny, they are sealed and can't be opened to fix.

Now who knows if what I read is completly true. And if true, were they using it for much more than it's rated? Who knows.

Again, the hardest job I'll use it for is blowing snow. I just don't want to be "that guy" who has issues after 5 years and has to spend $2k or so for a new tranny. :crybaby:

#18 ·
IMO the conquest isn't in the same league as the X500 JD's, this is apples and oranges.

The comparison should be an X500 and the prestige or the X400 and the conquest. Is Simplicity really that over priced?

And there is no doubt that the simplicity will give a better cut, so much so that you will be hooked for life, I know i am.

The 9500, is a good buy at sears and its a prestige in black, looks nice! all simplicity attachments would fit, just a thought.

#21 ·
I agree that the k66 is probably perfectly fine, but I read a couple different guys on other forums talk about their k66 conquest junking out on them after a couple years. They were told $1200 for a new tranny, they are sealed and can't be opened to fix.

Now who knows if what I read is completly true. And if true, were they using it for much more than it's rated? Who knows.

Again, the hardest job I'll use it for is blowing snow. I just don't want to be "that guy" who has issues after 5 years and has to spend $2k or so for a new tranny. :crybaby:
Your comparing this
a X400 series tractor to this
a conquest.

ezliving4ume
Keep this In mind the Older X400 series is Just the 2WD versions of the Current X700 series Models The X485 Pictured is Basically the Same as the Current X720 model If the X485 were All Wheel Steer it would be basically the same as a Current X724. A Conquest or even a Prestige does Not compare to a X400 series a Legacy XL in 2WD does compare to a X465, X475, X485 or X495 and For what would be considered the Super Garden tractors Today Your Only Real Choices would Be the Deere X700 or Legacy XL series No other Brand comes Close to these two brands, Kubota & Cub Cadet came close at one time But Both Cub & Kubota Did away with there Hydraulic lift Garden tractors The Current Kubota GR series is Really a Lawn tractor On steroids Though it has AWD and shaft driven Front Implements it’s Not a Garden tractor so No other Brand come Close to the Deere X700 or Legacy XL series in this Type of Garden tractor Unless You go Up to Subcompact Tractors.

Haulin' Daze
As Far as the K-66L There are two Kit available to make the Transmission serviceable But Your Dealer would have to contact Tuff-Torq To get them Both Kits are Mentioned In the Parts Manuals for the Conquest's with the K66L they Just don't Give a Internal Simplicity Part Number Just a Item Number. The tractor Manufacturer is calling it sealed But If You contact Tuff-Torq who actually Produces the transmission even the trans That are considered sealed Can Be worked on and Rebuilt it’s Just the average owner Probably can’t or doesn’t want to do it themselves and it may Be cheaper on Labor Costs to just replace the transmission. That said the Only Conquest I would consider if I were You is the Top of the Line Conquest where You can charge the fluid Yourself with out Having to buy a Kit to Make it that way:thThumbsU

#25 ·
I've got an X500 and I can't imagine the equivalent Simplicity being any better than it. Go drive them both and see which one you like better for sound, ease of operation, controls/layout, etc. I don't have a blower, but I seem to think the worst thing about the Deere one is the plastic chute if you have a gravel driveway.

#26 ·
My Conquest is a 2005 20/44 and is in it's 7th cutting season. I have been doing my yard and the neighbors yard and field which comprises about 5 acres. I also cut firewood and haul quite a bit with it. Best investment I ever made, but it was only $4000 in 2005. It has 470 hours on it now and no problems with the K66 tranny. Still runs strong.

Hauling firewood uphill out of the woods.

Coming out of the woods.

I have a Toro walk behind blower for the snow, but the Conquest with the blade is a nice back up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdHEIDDvBo4

Your looking at both good machines. Just showing you what I have.

Kevin

#28 · (Edited)
You have the K66AC trans which has a Oil drain & a Internal filter that was standard where the K66L it is not standard equipment Until they changed the trans I would have said the Conquest is Probably the Better Buy for His Intended Purpose Because the Conquest is a Lawn tractor first & a Garden tractor 2nd hence the name Yard Tractor over the Deere X500 The Current Top of the Line Conquest with Power steering has a serviceable K66L I just suggest to HD if He goes with one of the other conquest in the Line Just have his dealer Order this Part Number 1A632099320 DRAIN BOLT KIT from Tuff-torq and Install it $1.37 for the Kit :thThumbsU

#30 ·
I purchased a Conquest in 05 based on recommendations from posters on another board and my son's father-in-law. It was priced lower than the comparable Deere at the time. The cut was exceptional and it handled snowblowing my 1,100 foot driveway with no problem. It handled very well in all weather and was comfortable to ride.

However, at 97 hours the tranny started leaking and needed to be replace at a cost of $1,500.00. I also had the ignition switch replaced once, two seat switches and one battery. The battery I was okay with since it was after 3 years of use but the other repairs I believe should not have happened.

I sold the unit and now have a Deere X540. I have had the X540 for a year and am very happy with its performance. Fine in all weather and runs up and down my hills with no problem at all. Very comfortable ride and excellent handling. I have the power steering/ tilt wheel and hydraulics for the deck.

So I would say go with the Deere, maybe the X530 if you can swing it.

#31 ·
Okay, you're now the 3rd person I've read about with a tranny issue on a Conquest. This is now really pushing me towards the Deere. Too bad as I really like the Simplicity dealer.

I'm still open to all ideas though. I have another day or two before final decision. :banghead3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.