Cleaning A Rusty Fuel Tank - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 01-29-2010, 09:41 PM   post #16 of 25
slip knot
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35095
Default Re: Cleaning A Rusty Fuel Tank

Just did a quick search of both the Kreem an Caswell products and Think I may be trying them out soon. Both look like good products. I like the two part epoxy in the caswell product but it looks kinda pricey. The kreem product looks a bit more affordable. Will certainly try them out on my next gas tank rehab. Thanks guys.
slip knot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 PM   post #17 of 25
P B G
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 31016

There's also a POR-15 product.

If you search motorcycle websites, that's really who those products are aimed at.

Copy this into google.

site:advrider.com/forums

Then type the names of the products, or Tank Coatings after that, and it'll give you pretty good results about the products.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 10:02 PM   post #18 of 25
Yazooman
Banned

MTF Member # 15682

I will try the vinegar first but was wondering if bleach will remove rust. We ran some bleach thru the coffee pot the other day and it worked great.
Yazooman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 10:08 PM   post #19 of 25
P B G

MTF Member # 31016

NO bleach.

Vinegar works great in coffee makers, you can run it through the reservoir and it gets mineral scale out of the heating element.

http://www.adbio.com/science/analysis/ph_scale.htm

Check the pH, you want an acid to treat the rust. Notice on the scale 7 is distilled water, neutral, battery acid is down at .3, vinegar between at about 3, bleach is up above 12.6, not an acid, a base, like baking soda but more so.

You will cause rust in your tank using bleach. Bleach is to baking soda what battery acid is to vinegar.

You can put either baking soda or vinegar on your skin, swish it in your mouth etc. You cannot do the same with either bleach or battery acid.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 PM   post #20 of 25
mrcaptainbob

MTF Member # 177

I cleaned an old, hard-to-replace tractor fuel tank a few years ago for a friend. Power washed the inside, plugged up all the holes except the fill. Poured some acetone in the there and counted the number of square head bolts and nuts I put in. Sloshed it all around and dumped it out, counting to make sure the same number came out. After rewashing, I coated the inside with a product called Red Kote. It coated the inside with a rubbery coating that is not affected by today's fuels, holds any other loose particles tight. The fuel bowl has remained clear on friends tractor for about three years now. Red Kote was now pricey and does a GREAT job.
mrcaptainbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 02:29 AM   post #21 of 25
crazytrain
Village Idiot

MTF Member # 36540

Just a warning if you do use Muriatic Acid #1 use in a well ventilated area best done outside, and #2 Don't leave it in the tank too long it will eventually eat away at the metal causing more problems. I know this from experience, When I worked as a stone mason we used Muriatic Acid to clean up our trowels and mud pans that had dried mortar on them. I left a trowel in too long by accident and came back to a trowel that had the edges eaten away. worst part was it was a fairly new expensive trowel made pretty much worthless. We used a light coat of WD-40 to stop our tools from rusting after a Muriatic Acid bath. I don't know if you would want to spray that into a gas tank though. In what ever method you use.

It's all fun and games until someone calls the cops!!!

Tractors I Have
70 something Sears SS14 with Snow/Dozer blade
62 wheelhorse 502 in alot of pieces at the moment

Tractors I've Had
Unknown year John Deere S80
Unknown year Snapper RER
Unknown year Snapper RER parts mower

crazytrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 AM   post #22 of 25
melvin
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28272

If you will have tank steam cleaned to completely remove any fumes.this is what I did to save the tank.while burning trash in a barrel I threw tank in fire.next day removed the tank found the filler neck which had fell off.I put tank in vise and resoldered the filler neck.with one end in vise I put a wooden dowl in filler neck and with a few taps the tank seperated.I took a cone shaped wire brush in drill and it cleaned to bare metal.tank had a few rust holes,I completely coverd inside of tank with jb weld.not on solder seams.the solder seams were still tinned .I put the tank back together and resoldered tank.tank looks good as new with no leaks.this is for someone with more time than money.Mel
melvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 09:16 AM   post #23 of 25
glenn27
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by olcowhand View Post
I always coat after acid treatment. I use Kreem. You don't need to buy the complete kit if you have some acid already. Just buy the jug of Kreem coating. Acid to clean/etch, then to quickly dry & prevent rust, use some acetone to displace the water after rinsing tank with water. The one jug of Kreem will line several tanks. Kreem has never let me down. Still have tanks holding perfectly that had pin-holes before lining. No coating has flaked or peeled at all after several years.

I just picked up some Kreem yesterday to use--I need to coat one where it had a little seep...
Several guys in this area that do old hot rods/bikes swear by it...

Sometimes you just have to laugh..To keep from going insane!!

Jimmy Buffett
glenn27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 09:22 AM   post #24 of 25
glenn27
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
Just did a quick search of both the Kreem an Caswell products and Think I may be trying them out soon. Both look like good products. I like the two part epoxy in the caswell product but it looks kinda pricey. The kreem product looks a bit more affordable. Will certainly try them out on my next gas tank rehab. Thanks guys.
I picked up the three pack deal--even though I really didn't need the 1st part-cleaner for $40.00--and it will do several tanks..the man I got it from at the motorcycle shop gave me some hints--but his most obvious warning was -

* Prep everything right*
*Let DRY GOOD!
*Take your time..

I'll post on here when we do it..

Sometimes you just have to laugh..To keep from going insane!!

Jimmy Buffett
glenn27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 10:22 AM   post #25 of 25
skou
MTF Member

MTF Member # 36031

if it were me i would let fill it with diesel let it sit a couple of days and the wash it through with diesel and remember to fit a fuel filter. my personal experiance is that fine rust like that wont devellop if you just keep your tank filled when you put the tractor in storage and also after the first couple of tanks you wont have rust collecting in your filter and tank cleaners/sealers are only for those tanks which have flakin and heavy rust on the inside or a leak.
skou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.