Bolens H16 XL? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 01-27-2010, 07:05 PM   post #1 of 5
gravelyman
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11640
Default Bolens H16 XT?

I just got an offer for an H16 XT but I've never heard of the model before. I think it's like the H16 XL only with a 16 horse Briggs Twin. Is that right?
1986 Gilson GT18E

Last edited by gravelyman; 01-27-2010 at 07:32 PM.
gravelyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 09:17 PM   post #2 of 5
nsconductor
jbs1257

MTF Member # 1700
Default Re: Bolens H16 XL?

From what i can see on the charts it is definitly a Medium frame tractor such as the H16xl but it does have a twinn briggs 16hp on it. I came up with either a 1659 or 1668 model number. I am not sure if it is hydro with hydro lift or hydro with manual lift though.
nsconductor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 PM   post #3 of 5
larryccf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28340

actually it's a 1658 - i've got two, one nearly orig and one modified into a franken tractor
the hydro pump/motor and transaxle were supplied by Eaton, and it uses an eaton 11 hydro pump/motor, which is still in production and supported by Eaton, and is a fairly bullet proof pump

a lot of parts from later models are interchangable, if that helps
larryccf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 10:01 PM   post #4 of 5
gravelyman
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11640

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look at a 1658 this weekend, so it may be my first Bolens tractor! I was looking at large frames and articulating Bolens, but I think a medium frame would be just right for my small property (2.5 acres). You guys seem to like the Eaton hydrostat units a lot, but what makes them so much better than Sundstrand and other pumps that tractor companies used to use? Just curious.
1986 Gilson GT18E
gravelyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 12:32 AM   post #5 of 5
larryccf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28340

i can't speak with any authority about which is "the best" and doubt there's much of a difference - owners of all three of the common hydrostats seem to report pretty positive about them

the only fact on the eaton 11 that stands out is that eaton still supports it with parts as it's a current production model - something like 40 years running now

if you go to the eaton link http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products...light_duty.htm , about halfway down the page you'll find the service manual you can download as a pdf

interestingly, the eaton is rated for 20 hp input power, so at 16 hp it's definitely not being stressed, but iirc they also used it in the HT20 and HT23 models (i could be wrong on that, if i am, i'm sure someone will step in and correct me)

on my franken unit, the eaton 11 hydro was also running a homebuilt front end loader and runs it without any hesitation - it took a 4 ft wide bucket full of logs and 4 94lb bags of cement up to full height in what seemed like 7-8 seconds, so it's definitely impressed me

if you do a search under my name, you'll find a thread where i pulled my eaton 11 down for inspection - might be a good thread to save for reference
larryccf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.