New ATV law in Illiniois starting Jan 1 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

ATV's, RTV's, UTV's, and Snow Mobiles For fun or work or play

Old 12-27-2009, 03:17 PM   post #1 of 39
NEWT92
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 8405
Default New ATV law in Illiniois starting Jan 1

Effective January 1st, 2010, (per Illinois Section 11-1426.1 of the Illinois Vehicle Code) anyone operating a "non-highway vehicle" on a street, highway or roadway (including the right-of-way) is now subject to the state's mandatory insurance requirements just like automobiles. For purposes of the law, a "non-highway vehicle" means a motor vehicle not specifically designed for use on a public highway, including the following:

An all-terrain vehicle
A golf cart
An off-highway motorcycle and
A neighborhood vehicle. A neighborhood vehicle means a self-propelled, electronic powered, four-wheeled motor vehicle (or a self-propelled, gasoline powered, four wheeled motor vehicle with an engine displacement under 1,200 cubic centimeters) that is capable of attaining in one mile a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, but not more than 25 miles per hour and which conforms to federal regulations.

You will now need to carry an insurance I.D. card while using any of the above vehicles while using them in a public roadway.
Non-highway vehicles operating on a roadway will be subject to the same penalties as a motor vehicle. Those penalties are:

Three months drivers license suspsension;
SR-22 for three years;
$500 fine payable in court;
$100 drivers license reinstatement fee

If you can prove insurance coverage is in effect when stopped by a law enforcement officer, the charges might be dropped and the Secretary of State's statutorily penalties will not be enforced.

What does this mean to you? If you already have your "non-motorized vehicle scheduled on your insurance policy, most likely all you will need is an insurance I.D. card. If it is not currently on your policy, we may need to schedule it onto your policy. Everyone's situation is different, so give us a call to find out what needs to be done so that you can avoid the ticket and ride legally under Illinois law.
NEWT92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 04:21 PM   post #2 of 39
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage
Default Re: New ATV law in Illiniois starting Jan 1

I guess if you are on the road, with a potential to cause damage to another person or their property, I suppose I don't disagree with it.

I've always carried insurance on my boat, though it is not specifically required.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 04:28 PM   post #3 of 39
Dan Lovell
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1486

I regularly drive my JD Gator on the street here in MI., don't know if it's legal. It has two cup holders that normally have something in them. My Buddy lives about a quarter mile down the road and He likes Miller Lite if You get My drift. By the way I lived in IL. for a very long time and nothing they do surprises me.

Dan
Dan Lovell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 04:55 PM   post #4 of 39
Kbeitz
Collector of many tractors

MTF Member # 86

Thats better than Pa. law... Insurance or not we cant drive on the roads...

Kbeitz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM   post #5 of 39
grnspot110
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 4515
Garage

We can't operate on the road here either, but I have a "basic" car policy on my Mule, since I haul it quite a bit (fire, theft, & liability). ~~ grnspot110
Old 12-27-2009, 05:21 PM   post #6 of 39
NEWT92
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 8405

Here in Illinois, ATVs, Gators, golf carts, etc ARE not legal on public roads, and just having this insurance on them dont make them legal.

Now, a few of the local village/towns allow golf carts within city limits. You have to have insurance, head lights, tail lights, and mirrors on them, then buy a permit from the town when they approve your cart. Oh, and you have to have a valid drivers license too.
NEWT92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 05:37 PM   post #7 of 39
Mac102004
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28317

Here in NS you HAVE to have the bike registered to use it off your own property and you HAVE to have insurance on the ATV. You can not drive on the road, period, even dirt roads, as long as they are maintained roads you can't drive on them. No insurance $300 fine, driving on the road $300 fine. You guys have it easy.
1976 Case 444 Demo
1979 Sears SS16
Mac102004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 05:50 PM   post #8 of 39
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac102004 View Post
Here in NS you HAVE to have the bike registered to use it off your own property and you HAVE to have insurance on the ATV. You can not drive on the road, period, even dirt roads, as long as they are maintained roads you can't drive on them. No insurance $300 fine, driving on the road $300 fine. You guys have it easy.
Yeah, but you guys have slightly better beer, and much larger deer, so it all equals out in the end.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 07:55 PM   post #9 of 39
Brett-JDX748
Has anyone seen ChimChim?

MTF Member # 1790

I just think it's absolutely insane that in states like PA you now have to have a freaking plate on an ATV but no, you still can't legally drive it on the road... WHY NOT? An ATV meets all the requirements that a Moped does (lots of those don't have turn signals, brake lights etc).

I think it would be awesome to have a Polaris Razr to drive to work during the summer, it would probably be economical and my 15 mile drive can be all back roads if I want.

I think the law needs to get with this decade... For pete's sakes, Yamaha made a street legal pocket crotch rocket decades ago!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zhxi14pg0U

That knockin, ain't a loose rod, Son!
Photos

Former Fleet:
2009 Craftsman GTS5000 Excellerator - Sold
Photos

2006 John Deere 3320, FEL, Backhoe, 62 MMM - Sold
Photos

2005 Cub Cadet 6284D FEL, Backhoe , 70" rear finish mower - Bought back, LEMON
Photos
Brett-JDX748 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 10:01 AM   post #10 of 39
Mac102004
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett-JD3320 View Post
I just think it's absolutely insane that in states like PA you now have to have a freaking plate on an ATV but no, you still can't legally drive it on the road... WHY NOT? An ATV meets all the requirements that a Moped does (lots of those don't have turn signals, brake lights etc).

I think it would be awesome to have a Polaris Razr to drive to work during the summer, it would probably be economical and my 15 mile drive can be all back roads if I want.

I think the law needs to get with this decade... For pete's sakes, Yamaha made a street legal pocket crotch rocket decades ago!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zhxi14pg0U
A moped? How about a bicycle! You can go buy a $100 bicycle pay $13 tax on it and drive wherever you want on any road you want or any trail you want. Not to mention have most of the say when it comes to shared use trails. I can't drive my $13,000 ATV that I paid $1700 tax on, paid $50 to register it for one year (including a $40 trail infrastructure fee) another $150 to insure it for a year, on any road, and I have almost NO say when it comes to shared use trails.
1976 Case 444 Demo
1979 Sears SS16
Mac102004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 10:32 AM   post #11 of 39
Bart
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 8013

Allowing golf carts or ATVs on the roads is a safety issue. When government motors completes it switch over to government approved cars you will at significant risk of great bodily harm if you have a collision with a golf cart. So please keep your big golf carts and ATVs off the road.
Bart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 04:25 PM   post #12 of 39
Brett-JDX748
Has anyone seen ChimChim?

MTF Member # 1790

Now you tell me WHY as a licensed motorist, that if I bought one of these for ohh 13K, I have a license, I have insurance and it's registered, why I can not drive it to work??? It can maintain 55-60MPH I see no reason why I can't drive it on the roads.

I am not advocating unlicensed drivers being able to drive on the roads. But there is no reason why you shouldn't be permitted to drive a ute, when you can drive a freakin moped or pedal bike as a previous poster talked about, on the roads.

That knockin, ain't a loose rod, Son!
Photos

Former Fleet:
2009 Craftsman GTS5000 Excellerator - Sold
Photos

2006 John Deere 3320, FEL, Backhoe, 62 MMM - Sold
Photos

2005 Cub Cadet 6284D FEL, Backhoe , 70" rear finish mower - Bought back, LEMON
Photos
Brett-JDX748 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 AM   post #13 of 39
Ironmower
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 25539

Until about 4 or 5 years ago, you could here. Times are changing. It only takes a couple of a-holes to ruin it for everybody. I know for awhile we (west virginians) had the highest fatality rate, on ATV's. Mostly alcohol related. Those white oaks will stop you in a hurry. And they're puttin the halts to one of the funniest "free" places to ride around here. The rail road tracks would bring hundreds (no joke) of people from all around to ride. But the thievery of CSX property, new tie plates, "workin" signal light wire, has put an end to it all. I hear even the Potomac river lots, the RR rent out aren't going to renew leases this year. Can't blam'em.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 AM   post #14 of 39
johndeere
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 207

Well this is good to know.I got my Suzuki 700 Kingquad late in the season last summer.So I did not have it added to my policy.I certainly will now that I heard this.

I ride mine on back roads from farm to farm and often like to just take a ride.In my area as long as your not out acting like a nutt and take things slow and easy your OK riding on back roads.
johndeere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 02:31 PM   post #15 of 39
nuffer460
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20566

A UTV is about the same size as a Smart Car. Why is one street legal and one isn't. About the same price, size, and power. Go figure. New York State needs insurance and a DMV plate. Still can't run on the roads. Far!!! They do watch. I get away with about an 8th mile when plowing driveways.

Massey 44 w cultivators, Nuffield460 / John Deere 36A FEL

John
nuffer460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.