Human Powered Snow Plow! - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 01-01-2010, 11:38 AM   post #16 of 46
Justin
Father to Triplets + 1

MTF Member # 19622
Default Re: Human Powered Snow Plow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_warrior View Post
Mother Earth News is actually a pretty cool magazine. Take a look at other things on their website (or pick up their magazine in TSC or other store) before leveling a judgement.
MEN (mother earth news) does have some really good articles. It also has some very Liberal editors. If you can skip the editorials, and political nonsense it is a good mag. They have actually lost a lot of subscribers in the last 6 months due to some editorial views. They do however have the balls to print the letters of the people cancelling their subscription, so you have to respect that. I'm a subscriber, but they tread a little close to the line sometimes.
74 Sears ST 16 with automotive ignition conversion, 10" moldboard plow, cultivator, hiller, single disk with 2 cinder blocks, 42" MMM, middlebuster, manual 3pt hitch, Ag tires with wheel weights and tri ribs on the front
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 12:16 PM   post #17 of 46
simplicityguy92
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11189

i looked at the article and it uses a lawntractor transmision so it has forward and reverse
simplicityguy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 12:33 PM   post #18 of 46
scrat2
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 21897

By all means I wasn't knocking Mother Earth News, as I read it from time to time. There are some interesting articles and have used some of their ideas. Just saying that snowplow would'nt work here with the recent snowfalls we've had here. I'd probably have a heart attack using that thing in 10 to 12 inches of snow. I'll stick to my Custom 6 with the snowplow, thank you!
scrat2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 12:42 PM   post #19 of 46
Hugh-SS/16
Onan Lover

MTF Member # 31282
Garage

What happens when the snow is 2 ft deep????

can you say frozen a$$
GT_80 Fan Club Member: #0001

Need Tires?Click Here!

John Deere, Mahindra CUT, Gravely, Stihl
Ellington Agway Power Equipment
74 West Rd (Rt 83)
Ellington, CT
860-875-0690
The above opinions are solely mine and do not reflect that of my employer
Hugh-SS/16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 12:55 PM   post #20 of 46
KATT
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 34056

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschoendorff View Post
This. Right here. Why the **** would anyone want to pedal in the snow?
Wy would someone pay a fitness club to pedal a bike or walk on a treadmill to nowhere ??

He could be powering an electric generator and have power lift and angle. or like a paddle boat, make a 2 seater and spend quality time with the wife !!!

You can bet he doesn't need a heated enclosure after a couple of minutes
KATT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 01:15 PM   post #21 of 46
MADD Man
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!

MTF Member # 2909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
MEN (mother earth news) does have some really good articles. It also has some very Liberal editors. If you can skip the editorials, and political nonsense it is a good mag. They have actually lost a lot of subscribers in the last 6 months due to some editorial views. They do however have the balls to print the letters of the people cancelling their subscription, so you have to respect that. I'm a subscriber, but they tread a little close to the line sometimes.
Justin , none of this is directed at you, I was just expanding on your comments on subscription cancellations. It is cool that they print all those complaints.

For the guys who think the mag is for green freaks. I am a subscriber and have been for years. It is a great magazine. They have been around for 30 plus years. They have lost a lot of subscribers to the left and the right. Some conservatives think they are too liberal and the lunatics on the far left complain about tractor ads and cigarette ads. Check out their website and search "tractor" and you will see articles on home mades, human powered, electic conversions and also comparisons of modern equipment. Like this article:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Moder...t-Tractor.aspx

Not every reader of that mag can get away with the pedal plow. Oh yeah and if you bothered to read the article instead of just looking at the picture, he clearly states it did well with 5 inches of light snow but wouldn't be feasible with a heavier snow fall.

It is like every thing else in this world. If you keep an open mind, take what you can use from the mag and ignore the rest you might learn something new. It can't be simplified to black/white, democrat/republican or John Deere/Cub Cadet , there are a lot of other color tractors out there and a lot of other views.

I try and take everything with a grain of salt. The green movement that is popular in the manufactured city of Hollywood is a lot of BS. My dad was green before it was cool. He rode his bicycle 13 miles to work each way (26 round trip) for 25 years and picked up aluminum cans along the way. He was helping the planet sure, but he was doing it because he is very frugal and smart. Each can is a nickel in NY. He is also one of the healthiest people I know at 65 years old. Nothing wrong with being cheap/green/intelligent.

Anyway, it is still pretty neat and the guy would fit right in over at the home made forum. He could just run his tractor with bio diesel or get a GE elec Trak.

Looking for:
Hi/Lo pulley kit for a 64/65' Broadmoor
The winning powerball numbers
The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

Last edited by MADD Man; 01-01-2010 at 01:27 PM.
MADD Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 01:23 PM   post #22 of 46
89YT12
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 35873
Garage

to not get off the subject to bad, the name of the site just reminds me of al gore and his man made global warming hoax, maybe it the libertarian in me i dont know but totaly believe global warming is a hoax, especialy since the earth hasnt warmed in years.........but thats opening a whole can of worms that would be better in the off topic section

anyway, its actually pretty cool, thats why i said thats great, i just personaly dont see it working to well

89YT12 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 01:25 PM   post #23 of 46
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Quote:
What happens when the snow is 2 ft deep????
One sits inside, drinks coffee, reads the NY Times and waits for the neighbor with a tractor that craves seat time. Like my neighbors... bless 'em!

Just another "15 Minutes of Fame-er" got his picture taken.
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 01:50 PM   post #24 of 46
DaddyJohn
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35650

Not that I'm in a rush to run out and do it, but I think his little rig is pretty cool. Seems like if you get on the snow early and often (every 4-5" or so), it should work fairly well.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:06 PM   post #25 of 46
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439

As soon as I'm caught up on fixing my Ranger and F250 I will be building something similar to that accept it will be 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering. I kept the 2 rear steering hubs from a Noma 4 wheel steer tractor I got a year ago,, plus I bought 2 more off of ebay. My purpose for building it is for exercise all year around. I was planning on a snow push blade for it too. I too look at Mother Earth News for the cheap living type articles but couldn't care for the political views of that magazine. On another green type website I found there is a company in Germany that has started to build what looks like a 4 wheel ATV but its pedal powered. I emailed them a year ago but never got a reply back. There are millions of people in this country that need to get exercise for various health reasons,,, even if they don't have any health problems exercise is just good for everybody.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVFE02NTgU Pictured:79 Mustang Pace car 5.0 4sp I sold in 1990. All Toro: 520xi, 2x 266-H. Selling: Briggs Intek 24hp oil pan, Sears 4ws hydro transaxle, Sabre BM 19920 NOS sleeve hitch, parting Toro 117 Groundsmaster & WH C-175. Wanted: WH or Toro 42" rear discharge mower deck.

Last edited by Boyd; 01-01-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 03:10 PM   post #26 of 46
MADD Man
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!

MTF Member # 2909

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJohn View Post
Not that I'm in a rush to run out and do it, but I think his little rig is pretty cool. Seems like if you get on the snow early and often (every 4-5" or so), it should work fairly well.
He could definitely use some chains on that thing.

Looking for:
Hi/Lo pulley kit for a 64/65' Broadmoor
The winning powerball numbers
The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
MADD Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 04:28 PM   post #27 of 46
tranks
Professional amateur!

MTF Member # 36078
Garage

wonder if hes going to put a mowing deck on it for summer.......

building a steerable yard cart --- New video post #53

1971 John Deere 112--2000 New Holland LS55H
1985 John Deere 112L
tranks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 11:04 PM   post #28 of 46
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I read that magazine at the Library sometimes..I see a few good ideas in there once in a while,but many push the limits as to how to "save" money building something instead of buying it or using a product already designed for the purpose..like one article on how to build an S-10 "hybrid" pickup truck yourself..by the time you buy a used (junk) truck,an electric motor,batteries,and do all that work,to end up with something impractical for its original purpose and probably a hassle to insure and register,I get kinda disgusted reading those types of articles..seems to me some people have way too much time and money to spend trying to find a "free" way to do things..

But I have seen some articles that had good ideas and cleverly built things that worked out well too--my beef with their "plans" is they are often very vague about details,like the one in particular I ran across online on how to make a lawn mower into a welder using an old altenator--it gave the basic info,but didn't go into detail about HOW it welded ,or how long it could be expected to last..(it also had a "well worn" 12V battery in the circuit,with the altenator set on "kill" to put out maximum volts and amps in DC form,I dont see how that was safe or worked at all,myself!)..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 11:12 PM   post #29 of 46
ben2go
MTF New Poster

MTF Member # 11920

I like Mother Earth News.I subscribe to the website,and used to subscribe to the magazine.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 AM   post #30 of 46
Oo-v-oO
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 32338
Garage

The Story of the Bike Plow

Oo-v-oO is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.