Gravely L Snow Blower Help - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 12-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Wequetequock
MTF Member

MTF Member # 33370
Default Gravely L Snow Blower Help

As you all probably know I have only been a Gravely L owner for a few months, have a 48" blade for snow plowing and a set of chains to help with traction. At work on Friday one of the guys asked me if I was interested in a snow blower attachment for $ 100, he sold me the 48" blade when I first picked up the L, the blade was in excellent condition. He said the blower has been under cover and is in good shape. I have read some comments on the site and sounds like some of the blowers have problems, should some be avoided, what should I be looking at, is $ 100 a fair price?
Please advise.
Wequetequock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
jrd
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 13434
Default Re: Gravely L Snow Blower Help

There were several blowers which were contemporary with the L models. Which one are we talking about?
jrd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 02:04 AM   #3
Fla Don
Gravely bug bit.

MTF Member # 33720

Even $100 for a dogeater isn't bad if it is in good condition.
Fla Don is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
deerecharles
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35519
Thumbs up Re: Gravely L Snow Blower Help

From what I have observed them go for on Ebay and what people's asking prices on Craigslist are $100 sounds good ,even if it is an open reel model like Fla Don said.
deerecharles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
Wequetequock
MTF Member

MTF Member # 33370

Thanks for the replies looks like the price is right, I did ask for details on the blower, the guy is a user of the equipment and isn't too familar with details. His father had an outdoor business for years and had a bunch of walkbehind Gravelys. I will post a photo when I get the attachment.
Wequetequock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Error401
MTF Member

MTF Member # 29895

I'm looking at a couple of blowers, but I had a question. I have a half mile shale driveway out in the country. I currently have a Troy blower in town that has an enclosed reel. This latest snow we had in VA was ~18" and to tell the truth was kind of a pain to blow with the troy. Sure, it did a bang up job going strait ahead, but not turning. My driveway in the country isn't strait.

So, is there an advantage for me to get an open reel dog catcher for my rig in the country, rather than a later model? I have a 7.6 C tractor.

Thanks,
Whitt
Old 12-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
bluegoose

MTF Member # 23010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error401 View Post
I'm looking at a couple of blowers, but I had a question. I have a half mile shale driveway out in the country. I currently have a Troy blower in town that has an enclosed reel. This latest snow we had in VA was ~18" and to tell the truth was kind of a pain to blow with the troy. Sure, it did a bang up job going strait ahead, but not turning. My driveway in the country isn't strait.

So, is there an advantage for me to get an open reel dog catcher for my rig in the country, rather than a later model? I have a 7.6 C tractor.

I really don't believe you'll come out ahead with a dog-eater vs. for say an enclosed MA-210. The 210 is going to process the snow and blow it more efficiently that the 115. And the weight of the 210 will allow you to push snow at the end of your driveway as you're turning around (or just lift the blower up and pivot). The problems with many of the non-Gravely walk-behinds is that they simply don't have the required weight to bear down and muscle thru an embankment of snow - they tend to "ride up" on the snow. The enclosed reel design of the MA-210 will not be a negative for you.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #8
Error401
MTF Member

MTF Member # 29895

Thanks Goose. Yeah, I know all about that ride-up thing from the troy. It got the job done, but that's about all there is on the plus side with that rig.

One blower I have a line on has a square chute, but it also has an enclosed reel. I think someone fab'd up the shroud. It looks to be in good condition, but it's about 3 hours from here so dropping by to see it isn't a real option at the moment. The other one I haven't heard back as to what model it is, and it's 4 hours away.

Did the 115's have any issues (like the pre 106 mower heads)? All the 210's I've seen seem to be north of Maryland, and that's kind of a long drive.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
BlownL67

MTF Member # 15892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wequetequock View Post
As you all probably know I have only been a Gravely L owner for a few months, have a 48" blade for snow plowing and a set of chains to help with traction. At work on Friday one of the guys asked me if I was interested in a snow blower attachment for $ 100, he sold me the 48" blade when I first picked up the L, the blade was in excellent condition. He said the blower has been under cover and is in good shape. I have read some comments on the site and sounds like some of the blowers have problems, should some be avoided, what should I be looking at, is $ 100 a fair price?
Please advise.
$100 ain't to shabby at all for a blower, but my only question is....what style blower is it ?
BlownL67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
gm1276
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 26660

Quote:
Thanks Goose. Yeah, I know all about that ride-up thing from the troy. It got the job done, but that's about all there is on the plus side with that rig.

One blower I have a line on has a square chute, but it also has an enclosed reel. I think someone fab'd up the shroud. It looks to be in good condition, but it's about 3 hours from here so dropping by to see it isn't a real option at the moment. The other one I haven't heard back as to what model it is, and it's 4 hours away.

Did the 115's have any issues (like the pre 106 mower heads)? All the 210's I've seen seem to be north of Maryland, and that's kind of a long drive.
I've heard varying reports on the MA115s from they're horrible to they're decent. I have one and I used it in light snow, performed decent. Certainly doesn't throw the snow as far as an MA210, but what does? There's a video on youtube of a guy using an MA115 34" and it appears to work pretty well. If you can get one cheap I'd definitely spring for it, otherwise stick to the MA210 or later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXr6GUUN4ak
gm1276 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
krislu
Gravely Fan

MTF Member # 170
Smile Re: Gravely L Snow Blower Help

The original square chute I didn't hear anything bad about myself. It was the open reel with the more modern round chute (the one in GM1276's video) that I have always heard to stay away from but after seeing that video I have to wonder. Although I must say the dogeater video doesn't look as good as this MA video. - Kris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aslrE...eature=related

Last edited by krislu; 12-24-2009 at 01:24 PM.
krislu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
gm1276

MTF Member # 26660

Great video and that MA is not performing 100% either. See how it starts to push the snow and not swallow it all up? That's a product of loose clutches. Could be the reel clutch or the slip clutch, probably the one on the reel because it seems most people don't ever touch it.
gm1276 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
js5020d

MTF Member # 3908

Quote:

I have seen a few of the older square shooters that were enclosed, many of them were postal units by the sellers descriptions.

I use a square shooter,, never had a newer model, but it works ok. Some of what I see as disadvantages are the inability to direct the snow discharge in any direction except to the right or left and not having that hand crank to adjust the direction. The open reel is of course something to be careful of, not only for yourself and the pets, but any nearby object,,, I bit a car bumper with mine once trying to get to close, it was very unforgiving even though the slip clutch went off. The impeller on the very early ones just used flat plate fins and are easily damaged by stones, the later impeller is tougher in my opinion but both suffer from just enough clearance between the impeller and housing that small stones wedge in between and of course jam the impeller, probably the reason they dont toss the snow as far,, not a prob if your using it on pavement, but on gravel it can be.

What I like about the square shoot,,,, its simple, not much rocket science whatsoever,, and my thoughts are even if you cant find some parts it would be very easy to make or adapt them.
js5020d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #14
Error401
MTF Member

MTF Member # 29895

Thanks guys. Great info and opinions. Many thanks, and happy holidays.

Whitt
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #15
jrd

MTF Member # 13434

My biggest gripe about the MA115 is that the impeller is just not big enough diameter. That translates into slower speed at the ends of the impeller vanes, and snow going less far.

There are other things about the 210 which I also think are improvements, like slower auger speed, more flexible chute design etc, but to me it's the impeller that matters.

Merry Christmas!
jrd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.