Home made wasp spray - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

My Place Pics and stories about your home and property

Old 05-24-2009, 09:24 PM   post #16 of 30
Ken in NJ

MTF Member # 284
Default Re: Home made wasp spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
im dealing with those carpenter bees right now , they think they own my greenhouse.
I am kicking butt with the carpenter Bees !!! I found the best weapon is my "Chris Evert" yard sale bought tennis racket !!

I have fun taking them out ... I bet I have gotten well over 100 this season so far ... If you wait till they get close to each other .. u can even get 2 at a time, I have noticed a HUGE decline in those pesky pests.

I bet they would FEAR a Billy Gene King model !!!
Ken in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 10:26 PM   post #17 of 30
gt275
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 9448

Try Windex or any window cleaner. Kills em almost instantly. I learned that at work when they where flying around the office.

2005 GX345 (purchased 11/09 w/124hrs) 20hp V-twin liquid cooled Kawasaki, 54" deck, Differential lock, Femco Cab Weather Enclosure, 42" snowblower, Electric Spout Rotation Kit.
2001 345 (purchased 7/12 w/1063hrs) 20hp V-twin liquid cooled Kawasaki, 54" deck, , 48" Snowblade, Front Bumper Guard.

Deere 10P poly Cart
Agri-Fab #125 Spreader

-SOLD-
1998 GT275 17hp Kawasaki, 48" deck, Cab Enclosure, 38" Snowthrower, Manual Spout Kit
1997 LX188 17hp V-twin liquid cooled Kawasaki, 48" deck
gt275 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 11:20 PM   post #18 of 30
Toolin
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert

MTF Member # 18867

danbike, here's a related thread you may not have seen: Yellow Jacket War is On
Toolin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 11:25 PM   post #19 of 30
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner on the bald faced wasps and yellow jackets we get here,nothing else kills them quicker,you can nail one coming at you in mid air and it'll drop before it gets to you--I've been stung too many times after using "wasp killer" spray,that fails to kill them fast,they live up to 5 minutes after being sprayed often..only bummer is carb and brake claner is pricey(not much worse than "wasp spray" though)--and it can RUIN many things it gets on,like painted surfaces,plastic eyeglass lenses (DOAH!) and other things made of fiberglass or plastic too,like plexiglass windows!.

If ammonia and water works,I have gallons of Ammonia lurking about,also a w gallons of vinegar!..that'll make em sick at least!..I like the "Napalm" method with a lighter and a spray can,but its too easy to start wildfires ot burn the shed down killing them that way--more FUN though!..once their wings melt,its easy to squash them with your boots..I hate finding a nest when I'm on a ladder,especially when both hands are busy holding onto the ladder or a paint brush,etc..I also hated finding a nest in a junk car I was stripping at the junkyard,after squeezing into it,when cars were parked to close against the one I was taking parts from,it sucks when you cant make a hastyretreat,you always get stung!..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 11:59 PM   post #20 of 30
cndbx
MTF Member

MTF Member # 24933

I wait until dark set up a big flash light there is usually a couple on patrol outside the nest ,Then I blast the nest with wasp spray I use the whole can. Then after the next couple days pass I knock down the nest.
Last year I was putting a lattice top on my fense they got me pretty good
I did not see the little buggers but they were watching . Carb cleaner or brake clcan works also
cndbx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 01:04 AM   post #21 of 30
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

A few years ago,I noticed a football sized nest of wasps under a bay window in our parlor outside,and Iwaited till it got dark out,and it was a chilly night,it dropped into the 50's..I searched all over the house for something to spray them with,but were fresh out of wasp spray,and I had no carb or brake cleaner..

But I DID have a brand new can of that "Great Stuff" expanding foam!..so I used that,I shoved the nozzle into the nests hole,and let her rip!..the nest started vibrating like 1000 wasps were trying to fly away at once,then about 10 seconds later--silence!...the next morning I went out to look,the nest was about twice as big as it was before,and hard as a brick!..I scraped it off with a putty knife in one peice,and placed it in my metal wheelbarrow,and just to be safe,I doused it with some gas and tossed a match at it!..took 1/2 an hour for it to burn completely..

About 2 weeks later ,I saw another nest identical to that one they built,wrapped around two 150W floodlights ,way up on the eaves of the house!..so some escaped I guess,or their relatives moved in after the funeral!..I was able to soak that nest by hanging out of a bedroom window at 1 am the following night..couldn't reach it good enough to remove it all,some is still there ,and that was 5+ years ago!..that paper mache' must be pretty rugged stuff!..
Old 05-26-2009, 07:07 AM   post #22 of 30
Kbeitz
Collector of many tractors

MTF Member # 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor-Holic View Post
A few years ago,I noticed a football sized nest of wasps under a bay window in our parlor outside,and Iwaited till it got dark out,and it was a chilly night,it dropped into the 50's..I searched all over the house for something to spray them with,but were fresh out of wasp spray,and I had no carb or brake cleaner..

But I DID have a brand new can of that "Great Stuff" expanding foam!..so I used that,I shoved the nozzle into the nests hole,and let her rip!..the nest started vibrating like 1000 wasps were trying to fly away at once,then about 10 seconds later--silence!...the next morning I went out to look,the nest was about twice as big as it was before,and hard as a brick!..I scraped it off with a putty knife in one peice,and placed it in my metal wheelbarrow,and just to be safe,I doused it with some gas and tossed a match at it!..took 1/2 an hour for it to burn completely..

About 2 weeks later ,I saw another nest identical to that one they built,wrapped around two 150W floodlights ,way up on the eaves of the house!..so some escaped I guess,or their relatives moved in after the funeral!..I was able to soak that nest by hanging out of a bedroom window at 1 am the following night..couldn't reach it good enough to remove it all,some is still there ,and that was 5+ years ago!..that paper mache' must be pretty rugged stuff!..
That would be a hornet's nest...

Kbeitz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 12:22 PM   post #23 of 30
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

OK,they were yellow jackets!..Wasps,Bees,Hornets--if they STING,I lump them all together!..they all must DIE if they insist on building nests in places they shouldn't be,and stinging me!..

I devolped a real hatred for them when I worked at the junkyard,I should have got hazard pay for dealing with them!..

You haven't felt "fear" until you find youself in the back seat of a 40's automobile,trying to cut out the back window rubber to get the glass out for a customer,when you suddenly realize the entire underside of the front seat is nothing but a 2x6' hornets nest,and you have NO fast easy exit to GET OUT!..I got stung about 25 times that day!..and the guy had a long wait to get his back window..I bet there was 2000 hornets under that seat..

I had to toss about 3 gallons of old stale gas on the seat from 30 feet away,to get them to leave,and it took 2 days before they all finally moved to another nearby vehicle!..we couldn't walk near it for months after that,or they would fly right into your face and bounce off you,then attack!..many customers got stung too,it was entirely at their own risk,if they wanted to go look for or pull their own parts..we warned them to bring carb cleaner!..and if they were allergic,"no admittance"!..made the ones who wanted to roam the yard sign a waiver of responsibilty,so the owner wasn't liable if they got hurt or stung,etc..

We didn't like the hot summer weather,it meant hornets and baking in the hot sun,since junkyards dont have many shade trees usually!..pulling windshields sucked,100+ degrees inside a musty mildewed old car,that usually smelled like barf or a cespool!..you'd come out soaking wet and dehydrated,and stung, often..doing it in the middle of winter wasn't much better either!..
Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 PM   post #24 of 30
nomadrivingmecrazy
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 24503

Soap and water mix works perfectly!! Do it all the time with no fear.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 PM   post #25 of 30
Jon318
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 18785

Havent any of yall ever heard of Dave?

I like his method. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watchv=ko8VWx...eature=related

Hes also the guy who made the redneck roller coaster.

Last edited by Dad0850; 05-26-2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Link altered, contained offensive language.
Jon318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 PM   post #26 of 30
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Now for those of you ultra-safety sticker minded... "Please don't bee alarmed ladies and gentlemen! Certainly Dave has previously filled those truck fuel tanks up to the cap with soapy water and orange juice before applying the happy little flames to the filler necks! Eveyone just be calm but keep your children back behind the blast shields and see that they are wearing the shade 5 glasses provided by the management."

You know, I think I used to work with Dave's uncle!
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 06:22 PM   post #27 of 30
Mr Fixit
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 3525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in NJ View Post
I am kicking butt with the carpenter Bees !!! I found the best weapon is my "Chris Evert" yard sale bought tennis racket !!

I have fun taking them out ... I bet I have gotten well over 100 this season so far ... If you wait till they get close to each other .. u can even get 2 at a time, I have noticed a HUGE decline in those pesky pests.

Ha! My wife is addicted to taking out the carpenter bees that are eating on my pole barn. Almost every evening she hangs out there with a brrom and fly swatter. I would say that she has killed a few hundred between last summer and this one. Hopefully they will get the hint to relocate. lol

Past tractors: 1986 John Deere 318, Allis Chalmers 917, JD L140
Mr Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 03:31 PM   post #28 of 30
Tall Grass
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 26551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in NJ View Post

You beat me to it! I totally agree with the use of a tennis racquet or even cheaper a badmitton racquet. When the swarm comes for you then quick action is what counts. Just start swinging the racquet back and forth over and around your head as you haul butt outta the danger zone.
We used to play "badmitton & bumblebees" as a kid. Get close to the nest and then throw a rock and get ready to rumble! You can hit just as many or more on the back swing as well. When that bores you then slim down to a yard stick!

PS. We didn't play that game very much. Only a couple times.
Tall Grass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 06:58 PM   post #29 of 30
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Well so much for the mystery of the disappearing bees then... Guess it's not "microwave emmisions" but more "macro waving" of tennis racquets.
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 12:26 AM   post #30 of 30
2008 Impala
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 23056

I just evicted a family of hornets from an overhead light fixture. Used some of the foamiing wasp and Hornet killer and it worked well. Got rid of the nest today. The rule here is if you arent a relative and you arent paying me then you must go. Too bad these things dont understand that rule.

2007 Sears Craftsman LT1000 Lawn Tractor.

Late 1950's Jacobson 2 1/4 horse 2-cycle.

1988 Lawnboy 8480. 4.5 horse F engine.

1996 White 3.75 horse Briggs(traded for a 1995-97 John Deere 14SE). 5.5.horse Kawasaki engine.
2008 Impala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.