3pt finnish mower HRM48H and 4118D - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-17-2009, 07:28 AM   post #1 of 12
cobra2266
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29662
Default 3pt finnish mower HRM48H and 4118D

I am new to this form but have been a Case /Ingersoll finatic for many years. I am hoping that someone wil know the answer to this. I have a 4118D tractor and i recently came across a mint 3pt mower deck for it a HRM48H. I have the parts catalog for this deck and it shows the compatability as a 4118D tractor needs a AHRM4H deck. Looking through the catalog the only thing that stands out as a difference between the two decks is that the ARHM4H has a drain back line and the HRM48H does not. Do any of you guys know if this deck will work with a 4118D and why would a drain back line be needed? The HRM48H dech looks like it has a plugged port where the drain back line could be added just dont want to mess uo the Hyd motor on this deck. Thanks for any insight
cobra2266 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 07:39 AM   post #2 of 12
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029
Default Re: 3pt finnish mower HRM48H and 4118D

The only tractors that used the hydraulically driven decks were the "All Hydraulic" models produced in 1992 and 1993. Therefore, this deck is compatable with your tractor PROVIDING you add a "case drain line" to your tractor's hydraulic system.

The motor on that deck must have the third line connected or you will blow the front seal. Adding a case drain isn't all that difficult. You need a quick coupler female to match up to the male on the deck plus some fittings and a hose. The case drain taps into the return circuit heading to the oil cooler. If you study the drawings in the parts books for the AH tractors, you should be able to figure out where Ingersoll hooked the case drain to. If I recall correctly, the travel/lift valve had an extra port cast into it for this purpose.

Whether your tractor has this port or not is something for you to check out. Other models using the case drain tapped into the downflow side of the oil filter. In other words, the oil leaving the case drain line did NOT pass through the oil filter.
Caseguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 10:54 AM   post #3 of 12
cobra2266
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29662

My tractor has the drain back line but the issue it that the deck that I have the HRM48H does not have the drain line on the hydraulic motor. Do you think the drian should or could be added to this deck. The other deck in the parts manual is a AHRM4H and it has the drain line installed????
Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 AM   post #4 of 12
Bart
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 8013

If the deck motor doesn't require a case drain then you don't need to use one even if your tractor has one.
Bart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 11:16 AM   post #5 of 12
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

My apologies for not reading your initial post more carefully.

I now realize that you are talking about the rear finishing mower and not the belly mower.

If the drive motor is tapped for the case drain line, then I'd be inclined to install one if all it takes is unscrewing a plug. The parts book shows one motor with that boss but it is not drilled and tapped. The other motor is drilled and tapped and that one has the third line. If the plug does not unscrew, then leave it alone and just go with the two lines.

But here's the other issue.

The motors used for the AH decks are slightly larger internally because of the larger hydraulic pumps used on the AH tractors. This is mostly to do with blade tip speed but it also might have to do with the max rpm that motor was designed to spin at. In other words, if this was my rig, I'd install the case drain line if the motor will take one and make sure that I kept the engine speed to no more than 3/4 throttle. As long as the deck cut grass the way I wanted it to at 3/4 throttle, then that's all that would matter.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:17 AM   post #6 of 12
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
If the deck motor doesn't require a case drain then you don't need to use one even if your tractor has one.
I agree but the issue here is whether the original two line motor failed and someone put a three-line motor on it but chose to plug the third port.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM   post #7 of 12
cobra2266
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29662

The deck that I got is in mint condition, the paint is still there on the bottom of the deck. It could not have been used more than a couple of times. So I do not think that the motor has been replaced.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:11 PM   post #8 of 12
cobra2266
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29662

Here is the parts manual for both versions of the decks. I have the HRM48H deck. http://www.rottmansales.com/ingersoll/8-3091.pdf
Old 07-17-2009, 05:02 PM   post #9 of 12
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

If you believe that this mower is pristine, then just go with the two line set up. But keep your engine speed lower as stated earlier.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:29 PM   post #10 of 12
bhildret
Ingersoll Dealer

MTF Member # 3669

I agree with CG2's assessment on the motor speed. 4118D's are "all hydraulic" and were designed for that line up of implements.

I can't suggest what would or could happen if you run the HRM48H deck at full engine speed ... but I KNOW it will be running over the design rated speed of the mower deck. User beware.

If the motor is already tapped for the drain hose, I recommend using it even if the hose was not previously installed. Will cost you about $25 to add some robustness to that setup.

The documents I have show that later model HRM decks also got the drain hose ... and it is for the simple reason of making the motor more robust against leakage.

Brian
bhildret is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 PM   post #11 of 12
cobra2266
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29662

Thanks for all the feedback I got on this issue!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 07:32 AM   post #12 of 12
capehoorn
MTF Member

MTF Member # 26064

If you have the model number of the drive motor, you could call the manufacturer (of the motor, not Ingersoll) and they will tell you if it requires the case drain line. If it does, then using it like it is without it, you run the risk of blowing a seal. They can also tell you the gpm flow rating on the motor to see if it will handle the output capacity of your tractors pump.

Last edited by capehoorn; 07-18-2009 at 07:38 AM.
capehoorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.