Home Made Lawn Vacuum - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 06-28-2009, 11:41 AM   post #1 of 10
Jnelson
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 23634
Default Home Made Lawn Vacuum

I thought some of you might get a kick out of my homemade lawn vacuum (don't laugh at the Murray tractor! It's been replaced with an Ingersoll 448 and a CUB 6284 CUT this year). See photos below.

I mow over 2.5 acres of slightly hilly and tree covered yard and our grass grows so thick that even mowing several times a week would result in windrows of cut grass. When we first moved to our place ten years ago we had no mower since we had moved from an apartment. Since we had stretched our budget just to purchase the house (sounds better than saying I didn't know better) I went right out to Wards (they were still around) and bought the last Murray riding mower they had on hand for the season. It was a shiny green riding mower with a Briggs 18 HP horizontal opposed engine, hydrostatic drive, and a 42" deck.

As soon as I got the Murray home I started putting it to work - not only as a mower but also as a hobby farm tractor. In defense of the Murray, I have put it through **** over the years. The last several years I have been repairing it repeatedly and it has started leaking oil. The compression is low and the engine is loose enough that when you shut it off it continues to spin (not dieseling) for what seems at least 15 minutes. Still, I think I can charge the battery and hose it off and still get a hundred for it from someone that can't afford more.

Anyhow.... After raking the grass up several times I soon realized that I needed some method of picking up the grass as it is cut. The only thing offered for the Murray is a bagging system that I'm sure would choke the first time it saw our thick grass. Also, I imagine the bags would require emptying every circuit around the yard. No, I needed something with a real vacuum assist and a trailer to hold the clippings.

Now I know that there are vacuum systems available on the market that feature a 5 - 8 HP engine and vacuum on the hitch, but I'm your basic cheap S.O.B. Never buy anything you can build from seemingly totally unrelated components and in no more than the next five years. In fact, for this project the need was so great that I shortened the project timeline to under 1 year.

So to create the core vacuum unit for my lawn vacuum I turned to my favorite department store - e-Bay. After watching the various ads for some time the perfect item (a Billy Goat) popped up one day at a great price and only an hour and a half from home. To ice the deal I pointed out to my wife that if we purchased it the sellers location would be roughly along the route to her mothers place and we could make a weekend road trip, picking it up on the way home. Done.

To those of you not familiar with Billy Goats, they are gasoline powered vacuums designed for vacuuming large areas such as parking lots and factory floors. Mine sported an 8 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. At $350.00 I paid a comparatively good price for it and some of the unwanted components I stripped off it I resold on e-Bay. After removing the collection bag and other unnecessary items I was left with a four wheeled machine with the 8 HP engine and vacuum housing attached.

The next step in the project was to fabricate a new exhaust housing to channel the debris into a pipe/house to direct into a towed trailer. This was cobbled (welded) from an old steel freon tank and some heavy gauge steel shelving. The results were not pretty, but it served my needs. I also removed the original wide vacuum pick-up and welded the resulting hole shut with a plate. This left the vacuum hose connect left on the vacuum side of the housing. I then fabricated a catch hood from steel VAC ducting to attach to the deck discharge of the Murray and hook up to the vacuum hose. This was beginning to look like something!

I now built a trailer tongue to attach to the hitch on the Murray and created a hitch to hook up a trailer at the rear. My lawn vacuum was now complete. But before I could put it to use I had to build a wood frame and screen top for my trailer that would catch the grass and leaves while allowing the blown air to escape. Now I was ready.....

The first time I hooked up everything I stood back to admire my handy work and realized I had created a lawn train. The whole rig actually maneuvers quite well I have found as long as you don't drive into an area you would need to back out of (for obvious reasons). A few circuits around the yard amazed me at how well the rig picked up the grass clippings and how much better the Murray mowed with it attached. That Billy Goat generates enough vacuum to suck gophers out of their holes!

For many years now I have mowed using what has come to be known as my Lawn Zamboni. Though the process of mowing our yard takes at least three hours every week (42" deck, remember?) the resulting attractive lawn was certainly an improvement over the pre-Zamboni days. The biggest problem I have had with the outfit is the fact that the green grass clippings are blown so hard into the trailer that they compact into a solid mass that is nearly impossible to get back out when it is time to empty it - even using a pitch fork. Another issue is that the compacted green grass weighs so much that it is straining the load capacity of the trailer and when full really strains the Murray hydrostatic tranny.

Another bonus to having this rig is the amount of grass and leaf mulch available to us that we never had before. We find plenty of uses for it and I like recycling everything we can. Oh, and did I mention this thing is awesome in the fall when all our leaves come down!

So Murray is being retired this spring. The Ingersoll has an available hydra-vac unit that mounts to the back and runs off the tractor hydraulics which I hope to acquire soon. If that happens I will probably seek a new home for the Zamboni as well, though I am sure that with a newly fabricated deck adapter would continue to serve. We'll shall see.....

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	70526   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	70527   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	70528  
Jnelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 PM   post #2 of 10
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage
Default Re: Home Made Lawn Vacuum

Hey !, whatever works, right ?, pretty neat setup Jeff and for sharing with us .
Jim_WV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 08:45 PM   post #3 of 10
butchs_hobby
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 1189

I love it! Good old fashioned use what you got the best you can. I'm planning to make a vac/shredder for my 1650MF useing the rear PTO to power the vac and building a three point mounted trailer that will dump when I lift the three point. Anyway you do it, sitting on a tractor seat beats raking!!!
butchs_hobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 10:35 PM   post #4 of 10
ToppDogg
MTF Member Since Day 1

MTF Member # 33

I like it Jeff, thanks for sharing and the nice write up on how you made it.
ToppDogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 11:44 PM   post #5 of 10
tcanthonyii
Snapper Lover

MTF Member # 23497

I screwed up a couple years back. We have an acre and I too didn't have riding mower. Bought the first one at a garage sale I found. 30 bucks for a non running non moving Craftsman RER. Cleaned the carb and put a new pulley on the transmission and I was mowing. I needed a bagger though. The leader of our scout troop for which I am on the committee had an old 18 hp craftsman that the engine was junk on and wanted to get rid of it. He gave me that, the bagger for it and a yard trailer for free. The trailer was in great shape but with no wheels. The trailer had a huge well built cage on it for use as a grass catcher. I retrofitted the bagger to work on my little craftsman and pulled the cage off of my trailer. My two large oaks and my neighbor's 2 large oaks dump a ton of leaves so then I was thinking of building a leaf rig. At an auction the following spring I could have bought an old Montgomery Wards yard vac for 10 bucks. I should have. Still to this day don't know why I didn't. I just use my 2 snappers now and do a lot of dumping. Oh well.

T.C.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 AM   post #6 of 10
jpdriver1
MTF Member

MTF Member # 26801

excellent idea and project
Old 06-29-2009, 12:13 AM   post #7 of 10
simplelife
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1233

Love it!

If you ever decide to get rid of the Zamboni, make sure you let us know first! That is just too cool. i do have a rear mounted vacuum on my Simplicity that is a life saver in the spring when the grass is growing fast and in the fall when the tress leaves dump on us.

I have considered going to a larger cart or 4 wheel wagon as the 2 wheel carts I have require a lot of dumping with the amount of area I have to mow.

for sharing!

The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, your not going anywhere!
simplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 AM   post #8 of 10
johndeereowner
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28450

awesome. hey dont worry, i have a little White L-12 and i am like 6'4 and 260. whatever works man. i look like an elephant riding a bike on that White.
johndeereowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2009, 01:51 AM   post #9 of 10
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439

I have made one. The biggest issue is the darn dust from the leaves. If the top of the cart is enclosed you will need an opening at the top/rear and it blows LOTS of air out. When I started mine I tried plastic drainage hose but it is too stiff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVFE02NTgU Pictured:79 Mustang Pace car 5.0 4sp I sold in 1990. All Toro: 520xi, 2x 266-H. Selling: Briggs Intek 24hp oil pan, Sears 4ws hydro transaxle, Sabre BM 19920 NOS sleeve hitch, parting Toro 117 Groundsmaster & WH C-175. Wanted: WH or Toro 42" rear discharge mower deck.
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 08:13 PM   post #10 of 10
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37

Great setup! slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.