Sears LT/10 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 06-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
tractorkid94
Junk Collector

MTF Member # 10554
Question Sears LT/10

I just acquired a Sears LT/10-36 tractor. Anyone have any info? Numbers are below. It's pretty decent for the year. It has a 10hp Tecumseh and a 4 speed tranny. I need to do a tune up and clean the carb, and then maybe tommorow I can take it for a ride. I'm going to disassemble it and clean it, and maybe even do a paint job. I'll be using it this summer/fall to haul trailer loads of wood around the property. I'm most interested to find out the year. Anyone know? I can get engine #'s tommorow to see the approx. year of the engine but anyone have guesses? Thanks.

Model: 917.255130
Serial: 3627v-014047

tractorkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
farmallmaniac
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 246
Default Re: Sears LT/10

Looks like a solid mower! Just going to use it to haul things this summer? Plans to restore it?

1996 Blue Ford Explorer runs alright, looks like crap but I love it!

Joe Diffie - Tougher than nails
farmallmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
tractorkid94
Junk Collector

MTF Member # 10554

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmallmaniac View Post
Looks like a solid mower! Just going to use it to haul things this summer? Plans to restore it?

Thanks! Yup, just hauling stuff. I have an 18.5hp v-twin Poulan Pro that I use for cutting the grass (man that thing loves to suck up gas!). Today I'm just going to focus on cleaning the carb and getting her to the point where I can at least drive her around the yard. I just might do a quick resto on her, but I guess we'll see. Here's a question: does anyone know the name of the original color and where I can buy it? Thanks. Here's what I plan to do (if anyone has any other input feel free):

-clean carb
-new fuel filter
-oil change
-clean/re-oil spnge air filter
-new plug
-new battery (or at least one that hold a charge...)
-new gas cap (it looks like it's melted)
-paint (at least over rusted areas so it doesn't spread)
Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Dangeroustoys56
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13834

Nice tractor- id restore it. From what ive herd lately, Sears is a pain in the butt- they want to sell em and never see them again- Id try to match up the paint at either an autoparts store or tractor parts dealer.
I think the older tractors have alot more character then the newer ones- suppose thats why my oldest one is a 1969 and my newest is a 2003-older ones look so much cooler.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
tractorkid94
Junk Collector

MTF Member # 10554

Yea, I think the older ones have WAY more character. I just found out that I (believe) have a burnt exhuast valve. What do you think? Here is what it is doing:

-hard to start
-spits fuel droplets out the pipe when cranking
-and when you put your hand on the pipe when cranking you can feel a suction at a certain spot
Old 07-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
Bill Kapaun
Circumflatulater

MTF Member # 6264

Might be a stuck valve. Sometimes, if an engine sits for an extended time with a valve open, it gets "varnished/rusted/gummed....etc. " into place.
That probably has a valve cover behind the carb. I'd pull that and make sure the valves are moving. Or pull the head to do the same.

BTW, when shutting off my small 1 cylinder engines, I pull the recoil cord until I feel the compression stroke. This insures the valves are closed and the cylinder is "sealed" from the atmosphere.
Bill Kapaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
attorney_barnabas_collins
MTF Junior Poster Esq.

MTF Member # 7575

If it starts, it isn't a stuck valve.
attorney_barnabas_collins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
tractorkid94
Junk Collector

MTF Member # 10554

I found out what it is today. It could probably use a valve job, but the problem is bad rings.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
MTF Junior Poster Esq.

MTF Member # 7575

Put that part number in the Sears parts search on the sears website and it comes up. I see a wiring diagram right now..was hoping to get something with a year on it. BRB
attorney_barnabas_collins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
MTF Junior Poster Esq.

MTF Member # 7575

Run it awhile and see if it doesn't improve. Might have some oxidation on the cylinder walls from sitting.

2 out of 3 engines I start after sitting for many years stop smoking withing a short while. My Economy with a 14hp Kohler smoked at the auction, never smoked or leaked since. Same with a Deere 322 with yanmar 3cylinder gas engine. (I was sweating over that one)
Old 07-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
MTF Junior Poster Esq.

MTF Member # 7575

Most of the parts are discontinued including the manual, but there are a lot of bronze bushings in stock. Wierd.

Tecumseh verticle shaft engines aren't rare or valuable, you can probably nab one cheap, and the briggs 10 -11-12hp verticle shafts are a dime a dozen. I've got so many laying around I don't know what runs & what doesn't. Stopped buying them for $10-$15 at auctions because I don't have room for them..and I'll bet one would slip in with not much fuss.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
Raisin
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 10155

I'm guessing around '85. I just sold 11hp 38" cut that looked like yours and it was an 88'
Raisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
tractorkid94
Junk Collector

MTF Member # 10554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisin View Post
I'm guessing around '85. I just sold 11hp 38" cut that looked like yours and it was an 88'

Nope, a friend ran the #'s and it's a '78.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #14
tractorkid94
Junk Collector

MTF Member # 10554

Quote:
Originally Posted by attorney_barnabas_collins View Post
Run it awhile and see if it doesn't improve. Might have some oxidation on the cylinder walls from sitting.

2 out of 3 engines I start after sitting for many years stop smoking withing a short while. My Economy with a 14hp Kohler smoked at the auction, never smoked or leaked since. Same with a Deere 322 with yanmar 3cylinder gas engine. (I was sweating over that one)
I already have the head off, it doesn't want to run for any period of time. It looks good inside minus all the carbon. The blow-by is rediculous on this thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
Dangeroustoys56
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13834

Being that old it might have points- id check for that extra wire that goes from the magneto under the flywheel- probably needs new points. I had an old 10HP teccy dynamark - it would run fine when cold but once it heated up it would quit and not restart till cold again.

Im against engine additives , but id try to use either some marvel's mystery oil or seamfoam - let it soak in- might free up those rings. Worth a shot before either living with the blowby or rebuilding/replacing the motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.