CC 3235 25HP Kohler Com. Blown Head Gasket or Bad Rings? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 PM   post #1 of 11
chip6990
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 74072
Default CC 3235 25HP Kohler Com. Blown Head Gasket or Bad Rings?

ok guys, one more time, not sure if i have a blown head gasket or bad rings? i have a Cub Cadet 3235 with a 25hp Kohler Command w/410hrs. i have checked for bad coils and plugs, both sides are fireing. i am consuming bout 1/2qt of oil bout 5-6hrs mowing. 1 plug is very oily, the other is normal. it started running funny like it was choking itself out with fuel or starving for air. put a new air filter on it, and it ran great. i think its a blown head gasket. so i had a guy do a compression / leak down test. said it only had 55# of pressure. he told me my rings were shot. if a head gasket is blown, it wouldnt hold pressure anyhow...right? plus, if it is only running at 55#, would the motor even run good enough to mow?
chip6990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 PM   post #2 of 11
Pa-Pa
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 76670
Default Re: CC 3235 25HP Kohler Com. Blown Head Gasket or Bad Rings?

Quote: " . . . if it is only running at 55#, would the motor even run good enough to mow?"

You would be surprised how much work a two-cylinder engine can do with a single cylinder.

If you really want to have some fun, try the "Balance Test." Start the motor and run it up to Full No Load speed, then short out the plug on the good cylinder and watch the smoke billow out --if the rings are blown.

If the problem is a head gasket, the usual tell-tale sign is evidence of blow-by and/or oil leaks at the gasket seal. Bad rings, scored cylinder, leaky valves, etc. won't cause the oil to leak.

Finally, if your guy says the rings are bad, with a compression test, you're supposed to test once, then squirt oil down the spark plug hole and re-test. If the reading improves, it indicates that the rings are the culprit, not the valves. I'm not sure how squirting oil in the cylinder would affect a leak at the head gasket, it might mimic the ring failure, if the leak is at the bottom of a horizontal cylinder.

Just some thoughts on the matter . . .
Pa-Pa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 PM   post #3 of 11
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

I've owned a number of those engines, and if just one plug is fouled, it's most likely the HG. The oil rings will wear out first, and the engine will still have plenty of compression. As long as the intake system is clean and it hasn't been dusted, do the HG and see what happens.
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 PM   post #4 of 11
Gary in NJ
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 3765

Without the reference number, 55 pounds is meaningless. Did he run the test at 60 or 70 or 80 or 90 pounds?

Where did the tech hear (or feel) the air escape? If he used soapy water at the head and saw bubbles, then it's a head gasket. If air was rushing from the dip-stick, then it was the rings.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 AM   post #5 of 11
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

Not necessarily. The HG can fail adjacent to the pushrod gallery, which will still give blowby from the disptick.
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 05:36 PM   post #6 of 11
Gary in NJ
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 3765

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscurtis View Post
Not necessarily. The HG can fail adjacent to the pushrod gallery, which will still give blowby from the disptick.
True, but I was speaking in general terms. My point was this; if you don't know the basis of the test, the results are meaningless. He needs to talk to the tech so he can understand the results before he can engage in a meaningful conversation about the results.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:07 PM   post #7 of 11
Pa-Pa
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 76670
Icon2 Re: CC 3235 25HP Kohler Com. Blown Head Gasket or Bad Rings?

Just for the record, RSCurtis and I both think it is the head gasket, and the best method for making a determination is physical inspection.
Pa-Pa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 AM   post #8 of 11
mowergene
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 54460

A couple years ago, I bought my 2550 with only 115 hours on it. It has the 22HP Kohler. BOTH the rings AND the head gasket were shot on one side.

In the past:
Craftsman, MTD, Snapper, 1961 Ford 801 Powermaster, 1992 LB4.5HP 580546, 2003 LB10552 6.5HP Duraforce, IH Cub Cadet 105
2001 Cub Cadet 2146 14HP Linamar 38" deck, love of my life (Sold 10 Dec 2011)
In use:
1994 JD LX178 sweet little mower, only 15HP, twin cyl, water cooled!
2007 Cub Cadet 2550 22HP Kohler Vtwin 50"deck smooth running, new engine late 2010
2005 Nortrak NT 254 25HP Diesel 5' FEL, here's a case of cost-cutting, I only need a tractor 3 or 4 times a year
mowergene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 03:31 PM   post #9 of 11
CJ-8_Jim
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 27111

Recently I was burning oil (dipstick dropping to below the shaded area every 10 hours).
I too have low compression... probably due to rings (IIRC both cyl at ~70psi).

My oil burning issue was caused though by over heating.

Take off your heat shields and blow all the grass away and then reinstall (otherwise you'll have more oil burning issues).

My GT3235 sucks all kinds of grass through the round hole in the flywheel screen and packs the grass into the cooling fins and behind the heat shields of each cylinder's head.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:08 AM   post #10 of 11
jsoluna
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 11315
Garage

I'm gonna vote for head gasket...not based on empirical evidence but upon experience. Its the most common oil consumption problem that the 25HP Kohler Commands in particular have had.

'99 Cub Cadet 3205
'01 Lawn Boy 6.5
'96 Lawn Boy 4.5
'72 Lawn Boy 3.5
'12 Husqvarna 440
'09 Stihl FS55
jsoluna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 AM   post #11 of 11
leeave96
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5136

I've been having issues with a 18hp Kohler Command, horizontal shaft, twin cylinder engine. No power under load, oil oozing out of the valve cover gaskets and crank seals. The crank case is pressurized. I thought it was rings, but with some internet help was told to check the head gaskets. Over the weekend, I pulled the engine out of the tractor (easier to get down to the head gaskets and remove the shrouds) and pulled the heads. I found what appeared to be intact head gaskets. The cylinder bores were in great shape, almost like new condition. I was told that the head gaskets on the older Commands would develop "worm holes" in the gasket and fail that way and let pressure get into the valve assemblies, pressurizing the engine. I installed new head gaskets, cleaned everything-up (oil everywhere) and reinstalled the engine. Have not started the engine, but when I do, later this week, I'll let you know my findings.

The head gasket was not a difficult repair, but very time consuming. Lots of stuff to get out of the way and I had some screws that hold the throttle linkage brackets shear off in the block - which I had to repair. I found it a must on my tractor (Simplicity Sovereign) to pull the engine to remove the flywheel side shroud. This also made it much easier to access everything and clean the fins on the engine too.

Good luck,
Bill
leeave96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.