Kawasaki FD501V V-Twin question - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 PM   post #1 of 4
Pocketraisins
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 56714
Garage
Default Kawasaki FD501V V-Twin question

I may be getting a free LX188 with the Kawasaki FD501V V-Twin engine. Owner says it is not running and may be a manifold problem. Local dealer quoted him a $2000 repair on it.

Question 1 : How hard is it to get to and/or repair the manifold on these things and what could possibly make it a $2000 dollar repair?

Question 2 : Is there a retrofit kit for an Intek? I think I remember reading somewhere there was a kit for replacement of the Kawasaki but would rather keep it original.

Question 3 : Would it be best to keep it original or repower, depending on the condition of the rest of the tractor?

Thanks in advance for any info. I know nothing of Kawasaki water cooled engines. Heck, if nothing else I will have an operational K61 to use in something else!

Cub Cadet LT1050 w/Johnny Bucket Jr./MTD Snowblower
JD 155C (YAY! Deck finally rebuilt and running!)
Generac 8000 Generator
Wheelhorse 416-H(Backwards Pheonix)
2-Wheelhorse C-101
Wheelhorse 520-H (Big Red)
7071, 7024 w/F engine, 8241AE, 10520 Lawn Boy, 8605A Scamp
Gravely 20-G "Almost There"
Pocketraisins is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 05:39 PM   post #2 of 4
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950
Default Re: Kawasaki FD501V V-Twin question

Depends on the manifold...intake, thermostat, exhaust/head issues?

2000 bucks is steep for anything on a rider. Probably nothing major...these were pretty stout engines.

1962 WH702

1995 K3500 Silverado
TBI 454

1995 K2500 Silverado
6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel

1994 GMC Sierra Z71
350 TBI

RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 05:43 PM   post #3 of 4
Pocketraisins
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 56714
Garage

Thats what I thought Red. I knew Kawasaki water cooled were supposed to be a decent engine, but thought as with other engines they had an inherent problem that needed to be adressed.

Sort of like my 305 Vortec and the intake manifold gaskets. I was told after about 60,000 miles I could expect problems, and I did. Had to have upper and lower intake manifold gaskets replaced. Now its good for another 100,000 miles or so.

Cub Cadet LT1050 w/Johnny Bucket Jr./MTD Snowblower
JD 155C (YAY! Deck finally rebuilt and running!)
Generac 8000 Generator
Wheelhorse 416-H(Backwards Pheonix)
2-Wheelhorse C-101
Wheelhorse 520-H (Big Red)
7071, 7024 w/F engine, 8241AE, 10520 Lawn Boy, 8605A Scamp
Gravely 20-G "Almost There"
Pocketraisins is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 06:00 PM   post #4 of 4
matt167
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 64659

Intake and carburator are below the radiator and some other cowling for the cooling fan.. I would check for spark because the Kawi Ignitors will cause a no start and do go bad from time to time.. They seem to be fairly complex ( for a small engine ) but workable if you have the time.. Things like water pump require the engine to be removed. Actually the LX188 I just bought had some preventative maintinance work done just before I bought it which included a WP, gaskets and the required R&R and parts to make that happen, and the guys bill was $680.. $2k at a dealer would not supprise me.

That said, these things run quiet. Deck is louder than the engine turned all the way up. And because it is liquid cooled, you can mow at 3/4 throttle if you want to ( I don't ).. Turns almost on a dime. For all that an Intek would not be my choice for a LX188 repower, it would work pretty easy as the FD501V is pretty big
matt167 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.