Yazoo rider - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 AM   post #1 of 20
BroncoRN
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 65268
Default Yazoo rider

I found one of these things for $250. Runs good but what i want to know is could i use it to pull my trailers around my yard? 6x12 lawn trailer and 6x10 enclosed trailers.
BroncoRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 11:36 AM   post #2 of 20
BroncoRN
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 65268
Default Re: Yazoo rider

Maybe I should've specified the Yazoo is the old school rider with 18hp kohler and 48" deck. This is pre-hydro so I assume its chain driven.

Anybody???
BroncoRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 09:02 PM   post #3 of 20
jpdocdave
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45633

It's not chain driven, or at least mine isn't. I hope I helped in your pm, but they have a belt from engine to trans, and clutches in the trans, but no actual clutch pedal, hi and low lever on gear box, and forward and reverse that you simply engage and disengage to move. It has a brake, but it does not slow the tractor down in gear. These things are definitely operated, not ridden.

No one around here has much info on them on this site, if you find a site more helpful let me know also, I've posted up a couple yazoo questions to no avail.
jpdocdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 AM   post #4 of 20
Clarkbug
Still Plays with Tractors

MTF Member # 71312

Figured I would bump this thread a little, since Im curious to hear if there is more info out there. Was just given a Yazoo YR-60, and got a chance to fire it up for the first time yesterday. Its quite something, I have to say.

Its easily the craziest looking piece of machinery that I have ever seen, but it works pretty well, all things considered. Just keep that tail wheel out of any dips in the lawn, your spine will thank you.
Clarkbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 10:24 AM   post #5 of 20
jpdocdave
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkbug View Post
Figured I would bump this thread a little, since Im curious to hear if there is more info out there. Was just given a Yazoo YR-60, and got a chance to fire it up for the first time yesterday. Its quite something, I have to say.

Its easily the craziest looking piece of machinery that I have ever seen, but it works pretty well, all things considered. Just keep that tail wheel out of any dips in the lawn, your spine will thank you.
Congrats on that, they are amazing machines. Unfortanetly I have not gotten much info on them in my searches. Mine has been a tank for the last two years mowing our church/school's play ground, soccer field and so on. It does twice the job twice as fast as any other tractory they have, but you know you've earned it when you're done, its a kidney buster.

The parts for the Wisconsin engine (if thats what yours still has) are easily available, but as far as other parts they are on ebay, but not a ton.

One nice thing is its just a bunch of bent and welded steel, so that stuff is easy to fix, the only thing I worry about is clutches and transmission parts.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:08 PM   post #6 of 20
Clarkbug

MTF Member # 71312

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdocdave View Post
Congrats on that, they are amazing machines. Unfortanetly I have not gotten much info on them in my searches. Mine has been a tank for the last two years mowing our church/school's play ground, soccer field and so on. It does twice the job twice as fast as any other tractory they have, but you know you've earned it when you're done, its a kidney buster.

The parts for the Wisconsin engine (if thats what yours still has) are easily available, but as far as other parts they are on ebay, but not a ton.

One nice thing is its just a bunch of bent and welded steel, so that stuff is easy to fix, the only thing I worry about is clutches and transmission parts.
Thanks for the congrats! I do have the original owners manuals for it, for both the engine and the machine. It does have the Wisconsin engine, which has been rebuilt at least once in its lifetime. I have to say, the engine alone draws me in.

I just took it around the lawn yesterday to try it out, but before I knew it, half my lawn was done, so I just finished it up. It makes me enjoy mowing the yard again!

The transmission is definitely the thing that worries me too. I think thats the part thats made of onobtanium on these things, as everything else can be "farmerized" as necessary.

Next option Im considering is a seatbelt, just in case you want to use reverse....
Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM   post #7 of 20
jpdocdave
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45633

lol, seatbelt option.

I'm considering building a suspension seat myself.

That engine is fantastic, it holds almost 4 qts of oil, its like a small car engine, and you can't bog the thing down, I've mowed some seriously tall grass in fields with it, and it just doesn't care what you put it in.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 PM   post #8 of 20
Clarkbug

MTF Member # 71312

Ill bet you could find a suspension seat off an old tractor or forklift that would work if you have a tractor junkyard around you. Might need to drill and tap some holes, but your kidneys would thank you.

I would say that its a BIG car engine! And the rating of only 12.5 HP makes me wonder... either new stuff today uses really puny horses, or this thing is seriously underrated. I was basically mowing a sand pile by accident yesterday, and the engine just changed pitch a little, but didnt slow down at all. Just fantastic.

The pictures I have shown around just have people staring, or wondering how it ever was built, since it doesnt exactly scream "Safe to use".
Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 PM   post #9 of 20
jpdocdave
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45633

Ya, not all that safe. Mine has the 18 hp Wisconsin, and yes, now days the ratings are inflated and back in those days they were actual output hp. I'll take an old cast iron engine at half the hp of todays engines any day, they are stronger back then.

A guy that deals old Wisconsin engine parts told me to replace my 18 hp engine I'd need at least a 24 hp kohler, and it wouldn't be the same.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:53 AM   post #10 of 20
old ford guy
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 72615

I agree, I have a Y R 60, they are a work horse and enjoyable to operate. unfortunately mine has a blown head gasket. I have not found anyplace locally that deals with or can order one, any help would be great,the yard is startin' to get deep, thanks in advance, Mike in upstate New York.
old ford guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM   post #11 of 20
Clarkbug

MTF Member # 71312

Old Ford Guy, what engine is on your Yazoo? I have a single cylinder Wisconsin, and dave has the two cylinder I believe.... Obviously that would make a big difference! let us know and someone may be able to help you out.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 PM   post #12 of 20
jpdocdave
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45633

If its a Wisconsin engine I found a guy that has tons of parts for them, and is a great help to. I ordered some parts last year, and you can try and see if he's still available.

It's called Rock Creek Consulting, and here's the email I have: wisconsinengines@embarqmail.com

His name was Tim and they're in PA

Let me know if that helps.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:37 PM   post #13 of 20
old ford guy
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 72615

Sorry, yes it is a Wisconsin engine.
old ford guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 PM   post #14 of 20
jpdocdave
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45633

Good, that guy should have what you need, he had a ton of NOS Wisconsin engine parts, I got a fuel pump from him, and he had just about anything for my 2 cyl engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 AM   post #15 of 20
Clarkbug

MTF Member # 71312

I found one for the AGND Here:

http://www.m-and-d.com/WIS-QD712.html

But the Rock Creek guy should also have whatever you need.

Speaking of parts, I now need to get some for the deck of my mower... Needs the cups that go over the spindles, and I think I need some of the bits that hold the casters together...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.