My new to me hoist - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-14-2012, 05:49 PM   post #1 of 14
blown67
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36477
Default My new to me hoist

I work in construction, and now and again I come across some good items that are being thrown away, this is one of those items, a half ton, 3 phase electric hoist. A section of an old factory was being turned into office space, and they were just disconnecting the power to about 10 of these and just leaving them above the new ceilings because they said they were just too much of a hassle to take down. The building owner was a good guy and said I could have one if I wanted it. So I tested it first with a 400 pound piece of scrap steel and after that was good, killed the power and took it home. It was not as nice as it is now in the pictures, should of taken some before shots, it was black, about an hour of cleaning, and its back to the original silver. It was wired to run on 440 originally but the motor tag said its convertible to 220, it was just a matter of moving all the jumpers from the 440 position to the 220. I also needed a 3 phase converter, which I got from eBay for 59.00, and to pay for that my company throws away all the old Nextel phones every year, I sold 21 for 150 bucks, paid for the converter and new tires for my 80 cart. All the steel I used to mount the hoist were also throw away pieces from job-sites, it took me about 8 months to collect all the pieces I needed to complete the install for zero dollars. Had to make a quick test video for youtube. I still need to get a couple more of the c-clamp bolts to secure the 5 inch I beam to the angle iron, thought I had more in the garage.

blown67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 06:17 PM   post #2 of 14
oldtimer
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 4355
Default Re: My new to me hoist

Great find, and great job fixing it up. I bet it'll come in hndy a lot of times.
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 11:48 PM   post #3 of 14
Steevo
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 13492

I love FREE.

Nice hoist setup.
1886-01-repowered w/ Kohler Command 22HP V-twin
HT-20 (rebuild in progress); Johnson 14 loader (restored!)

Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 07:16 AM   post #4 of 14
blown67
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36477

Thanks guys, I just need to get the proper hardware for the trolley, the beam it was mounted on was wider then then mine, so I need to use about an inch of washers on each "axle" to adjust it down, after I cut and re support 1 ceiling joist I will have a span of four feet to be able to roll it back and forth.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 AM   post #5 of 14
Kansas John Deere
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 32517

Instead of using washers to step it down why not get some pipe and cut that to the size you need? Be a lot easier to align it all back up rather then trying to align a bunch of washers. Or go to a tractor supply and pick up some spacers like for Cat-0 to Cat-1 hitch pins.
Kansas John Deere is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 09:35 AM   post #6 of 14
stladrill
Run ahead of the pack

MTF Member # 31914
Garage

Nice!, what is the lift capacity rated on it?

Welcome Canadians Sign in!!

(Click on the image to get there)

The information provided is without warranty of any kind. In no event shall I be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential loss, damage, liability or expense incurred or suffered, claimed to have resulted from use of this information.
stladrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM   post #7 of 14
blown67
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36477

Quote:
1/2 ton 1,000 pounds

Quote:
Instead of using washers to step it down why not get some pipe and cut that to the size you need?
Guess I could do that too, hadn't thought much about it, was just going to do it the way it was installed previously, this is a pic of a similar one to mine.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:58 PM   post #8 of 14
Steevo
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 13492

Quote:
Originally Posted by stladrill View Post
What's the rafter capacity?
1886-01-repowered w/ Kohler Command 22HP V-twin
HT-20 (rebuild in progress); Johnson 14 loader (restored!)

Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 PM   post #9 of 14
blown67
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36477

Each rafter is calculated at just over 250 pounds each for a live load directly attached to a single rafter, snow load is way higher, the steel for the hoist is attached in 4 locations now, and I have 2 more pieces of angle to install after I cut them at my company's shop, they are going on the top side of the beam to the rafters to allow the trolley to move all the way to the 2 angle irons that are underneath the beam, so 8 locations @ 250 a piece is 2000 lbs on paper, that being said the heaviest thing I will be lifting will be a big block Chevy motor, topping out at around 500 max, also with using a static 3 phase converter the motor in the hoist will only run at 2/3's of its max power, which puts my max lift at around 666 pounds. Believe it or not I think the most use it will see its to put the hard top on and off my Jeep Cj7, which is roughly about 125 pounds. The bigger concern is when people remove the ceiling joints with out proper support and collar ties and the exterior walls will actually spread, and not transfer the load to the walls as designed.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:15 PM   post #10 of 14
Quixote2
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 29900

If your trolley is like the pictured Harbor Freight model, you move the washers from the inside to the outside to narrow the trolley width.
Quixote2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 PM   post #11 of 14
blown67
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36477

I actually picked them up the other day, I didn't remove the hoist from the beam at the shop I got it from, it was just in a box, for some reason the washers didn't make it in the box and I didn't notice till I had gotten it home. I used it for the first time tonight getting rid of my old gas grill, I'm sure I could of managed without it, but wheres the fun it that. And of course I took a video of it.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 PM   post #12 of 14
Dragon
Handyman

MTF Member # 6544

Very nice re-use of materials and the price is right.

How difficult to work with that Phase converter? I had never even heard of one of those, I always thought you had to either have single phase or 3 phase.

If that phase converter is as easy as it sounds then I could be looking more closely at some machines I have passed by since the were 3 phase and I didn't have that.
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 04:08 PM   post #13 of 14
blown67
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36477

If you can wire an outlet, you can wire the static phase converter that I used, eBay link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 12:06 AM   post #14 of 14
jdrobison
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 72142

we use a converter similar to that to run a 3 phase meat grinder from a old grocery store. they are much better for continuous loads but will work for start and stop ok.
jdrobison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.