New blades for a cub cadet I 1042 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-15-2012, 12:43 AM   post #1 of 5
Mike Bice
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 30594
Default New blades for a cub cadet I 1042

I just recieved a new set of blades for my 2008 Cub Cadet I purchased used a week ago. I do understand how the timing blades work and how to set them for replacement. The blades on it have the star pattern, the new ones I want to put on have a different shape and they do not seem to go on properly. I was assured this pattern will work just as the star does, is there a trick to using this type. Please let me know if I should use them or not Thanks.
Mike Bice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 09:06 AM   post #2 of 5
rhenning
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 4880
Default Re: New blades for a cub cadet I 1042

Get the right blades or you will continually have problems with this deck. Roger
rhenning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 AM   post #3 of 5
Rog02
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 47441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bice View Post
I just recieved a new set of blades for my 2008 Cub Cadet I purchased used a week ago. I do understand how the timing blades work and how to set them for replacement. The blades on it have the star pattern, the new ones I want to put on have a different shape and they do not seem to go on properly. I was assured this pattern will work just as the star does, is there a trick to using this type. Please let me know if I should use them or not Thanks.
The "star pattern" is the standard MTD spline and if the blades do not simply set in place then you have the wrong blades. Since the deck on the i-xxxx series are belt drives there is no "timing". The blades will coast when the PTO is dis-engaged so timing them is of no use.

I got a set of "gator blades" last summer from my CUB dealer and they had a CUB part number stamped on them.

My post on the topic:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showpo...4&postcount=37
Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 PM   post #4 of 5
aquist06
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 52098

Mike, you will need the correct blades with the star on it. With a timed deck, you will have to set the blade 90 degrees to each other, one going north/south and the other east/west. Like rhenning said, if they don't just bolt up to where they are supposed to, then they are wrong. If you go to a dealer, make sure to bring your model and serial numbers, plus the date code since timed decks were only used for a couple of years.

2001 425, 54 mower, Rear PTO, QH, and 3pt.

197-something 140 with a 33 tiller...
aquist06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 10:31 AM   post #5 of 5
markwb
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19085

Home Depot and TSC have the correct blades for your machine. Cub Cadet Part # 942-04217.
1997 Lawn Boy Silver Series Model 10227
PreciseFit 42" Lawn Sweeper
Echo SRM-2100 Trimmer/Brush Cutter
"My Other Vehicle Is a Nuclear Submarine"
markwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.