Recommend a tractor for me - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 PM   post #16 of 21
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24
Default Re: Recommend a tractor for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekhed1 View Post
Go used and you'll get more machine for your money and be able to get into a GT rather than an LT.

My suggestions as you are coming off a GT:

GT235, or 345
335, 345
GX335 GX345

All of there are FOOT PEDAL HYDRO. The 300 and above have Hydraulic lift and Power Steering as well!

The GT's can be had for between $1500-$2500 while you'll probably have to pony up about $3K for a nice GX...although i got mine for $900! I had to replace upper hood ($200!~), Ignition Module and Carb, and refurb a Piranha deck I bought separately. I still have a few things to get but at this moment it looks pretty good and runs GREAT for $1200. By the time I add some new tires and front bumper I'll be at $1500.
BUT... There was A LOT of driving, headaches, diagnosing, fixing etc that went with my story. If I had more money I'd choose to just buy a nice one "off the lot or yard"
for $2500-$3000!
We all get to the same place, we just take different paths!
I agree with CreekHeds suggestion even though Your GT242 is More than You Need I think You will find stepping down to a Lawn Tractor a disappointment If You want a Hydro There are some others to consider as well such as The GT275 or even the GT225 The Only Model In the X300 series I would suggest That would Not Be stepping down would Be the X310 But Itís above Your Price Range and since You still want to Go Used and want Foot Pedal Hydro
Well all the following Models Have That and You should Be able to find them In Your Range with a Max Of $3000
GT275
GT225
GT235
GT245
The GT225, GT235 & GT275 Can Usually Be found In the Just Under $2,000 Range .
Now Used Lawn Tractors That would Probably Fall In Your Budget and Give You what You want
LX255
LX266
LX277
LX277 AWS All wheel steer
LX280
Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
White Model: GT2055

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Sergeant is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 05:45 PM   post #17 of 21
Moose4
MTF Member

MTF Member # 43628

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambeau View Post
Don't know where you are in PA, but if you also need a snow plow, look up my "for sale" add on the forum. I have an "old school" JD314 that is absolutely spotless. For sale w/blade, weights and chains. Deck and transaxle were completely rebuilt, etc. It is a heavy duty machine w/hydrostatic and hydraulic deck, etc. I'm in central OH. Just Sayin'. good luck.
don't really need plow-have walk behind blower, didn't find your ad, OH border is four hr drive. Thanks for the heads up anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekhed1 View Post
Go used and you'll get more machine for your money and be able to get into a GT rather than an LT.

My suggestions as you are coming off a GT:

GT235, or 345
335, 345
GX335 GX345

All of there are FOOT PEDAL HYDRO. The 300 and above have Hydraulic lift and Power Steering as well!
thanks creekhed1. Those were mostly the ones I was thinking about

Sergeant, that's a pretty good list. I wasn't aware of all of those that might suit my needs. That will expand my search. I need to figure out what each model has as far as features, etc. Still kind of a noob. I definitely want a good tranny even though it's probably overkill for my use. PS and hyd lift nice but not necessary. Would like something in pretty good shape at least cosmeticly.

I suppose another option would be to get something for mowing only and keep the GT242 for other stuff; but then I'd want to have hydraulics, bucket, .....
plus I don't have room in the shed for two tractors! (and a cot for me to sleep on!)

Last edited by Moose4; 04-12-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Moose4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM   post #18 of 21
Moose4
MTF Member

MTF Member # 43628

Sergeant, why not X320 or X360? just curious.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 PM   post #19 of 21
Moose4
MTF Member

MTF Member # 43628

Another question: Where can I find the model of transmissions on certain tractors? Tractordata doesn't seem to say generally. and what would be the better ones compared to lesser ones?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:57 PM   post #20 of 21
KATT
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 34056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose4 View Post
Sergeant, why not X320 or X360? just curious.
IMHO they aren't even similar tractors.
KATT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 AM   post #21 of 21
Moose4
MTF Member

MTF Member # 43628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose4 View Post
Another question: Where can I find the model of transmissions on certain tractors? Tractordata doesn't seem to say generally. and what would be the better ones compared to lesser ones?
Still looking for info here:

what tranny is in what and what ones are servicable?
what should I look out for and what should I look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.