John Deere Co - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

The Barn General discussion of Full size tractors and accessories
Sponsored By: MaCorr Research

Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 AM   post #1 of 21
Paul J
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19817
Default John Deere Co

Well, the JD glory is gone! Looking down the nose at other peoples tractors is over. The apple pie tractor company is no different than any of the others any more. Chinese parts are only a part of it, how about the whole tractors. You can argue all you want that YOUR new John Deere, if it's under 120 HP, is American made. Some of them, so far and don't know how long that's going to last, might be assembled here, But their opening up big manufacturing operations in China, along with other operations in various parts of the world. No lawn mower size tractors parts are made here, all over seas. Some are assembled here, for now, how long that will last?????

Read just one of many articles. Too many to list. This is from 2006/7, there are more up dated ones.

http://www.stackyard.com/news/2007/0...ere_benye.html

REMEMBER & NEVER FORGET
We all live in the land of the free
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
Paul J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 AM   post #2 of 21
JDFANATIC
9K+ Poster

MTF Member # 41
Garage
Default Re: John Deere Co

Sounds like a smart business decision to me.

JDFANATIC
JD2210, loaded tires, 62C MMM, 210 Loader, 47" Snowblower, York Rake, PTO Spreader, Heated Cab, JD Plug Aerator, FIMCO Sprayer, Wheel Spacers, FEMCO Folding ROPS, JD Cart, Stihl MS170 and HT101, Wallenstein BX32 PTO Chipper
JDFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM   post #3 of 21
jim335
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45576

They've been doing that for decades. They manufacture machines in those countries for that areas markets. Check out this link: http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/...ocations.page?

SO DON'T PANIC!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:30 AM   post #4 of 21
jdemaris
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21690
Thumbs down Re: John Deere Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
Well, the JD glory is gone! Looking down the nose at other peoples tractors is over.
Deere was making tractors in Germany since the 1950s. By the late 70s-early 80s - in Argentina, France, Spain, Canada, Austrailia, etc. Also was selling rebadged tractors from Japan since the 70s.

So I guess you think only China is a problem? I see it like this. There are many Deere owners all over the world and some parts only come from Deere. They owe it to loyal customers to stay in business so product support exists. Deere Co. has done a great job and may be the only stand-alone original tractor company left that originated in the USA.

I just got some parts from Deere for my 1960 crawler that are not available aftermarket. I find that impressive for a machine over 50 years old. Go to your government supported Chevy dealer and try to buy parts for a 20 year old Chevy and see how far you get.
Tractors: IH B275 (2), Case VAC,/VAC-14(2), Case DC (3) Ford 641, Shaw R12, MF35, Ferg TO35, Bolens Ridemaster, AC HD4/ HD6 dozer, Oliver HG dozer, Oliver OC46 crawler, Deere 300B TLB/ 1010 crawler, Ford 4000 TLB, Pettibone TLB, IH 3414 TLB
Garden tractors (over 100 ).
Chainsaws: Remington Mall (2), Sthil S10, 040, 041G, 045 Super, 051, 041 Super; Dolmar/Makita DCS510 and DCS6401, Echo(3), EFCO/Deere CS56 (3), Poulan Pro (4), Husqvarna 455, Hoe, Lombard 2 man, Homelites (over 20).
jdemaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 PM   post #5 of 21
walterboatwright
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21679

It looks like NorTrac is out of business. Or they do all look alike.
walterboatwright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 AM   post #6 of 21
Paul J
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19817

Nor Trac is still going strong! Here's one of their tractors. PJ

AND this is one of mine.

REMEMBER & NEVER FORGET
We all live in the land of the free
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
Paul J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 AM   post #7 of 21
Team_Green
Banned!

MTF Member # 7124

As long as its built to JD spec and i can get parts in 20 or 30 years i'm fine with it. Not much any of us drive is built in the USA or Canada. Might be some parts and pieces but not the whole unit for the most part. I can still walk in and get parts for my ole JD70 diesel.. I'm happy..
Team_Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 PM   post #8 of 21
witco
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 25722

A freind and me took the Harley Davidson plant tour in York PA. a few years ago. And I was amazed at the number of overseas part on some of those bikes.
witco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 05:48 PM   post #9 of 21
wally2q
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45

some countries have rules... like: if you want to sell your product here, it must be made here (at least a certain % of the work)....
so if JD wants to sell tractors in china, which has 4x the population of the US, and a good portion are farmers - it would make sense to open up shop there.

the next day, when you realize you make for example - wheels in china, and then you need the exact same wheel in the US for a new tractor you just finished designing - why would you tool up and begin manufacturing of the same wheels in the US, when you are cranking out 1000's of them already somewhere else?... this is called 'business management'

in the end, it's the balance that counts. you make parts everywhere. you assemble everywhere. you sell everywhere. what's wrong with that?

deere has done a lot better job at balancing business mgmt, and customer sentiment, than most other companies. it could be a lot worse. they could just outsource everything to china and india, like many others... then you'd have something to complain about.
for now, congratulations to JD!...
wally2q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 PM   post #10 of 21
JDGuy630
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 69881

That's why I go old school.....
~~~
JD 555ABH 3b 14" trailer plow
JD 7' toolbar w/ 4row 3pt cultivator
JD 7' toolbar w/ 2r row row maker
JD 1600 3b 18" hydraulic plow-
HM 9' spring harrow
JD ABG 9' front blade
Frontier RB2296 8' 3pt rear blade
JD 38" mulching deck
John Deere 445 GT w/ 60"MC deck
JD 54" hydraulic 4-way blade
JD 10P cart
JDGuy630 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 PM   post #11 of 21
MF283
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 33230

My 5303 was made overseas, i'm not complaining, Green is in my blood

Ronnie
MF283 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 09:00 AM   post #12 of 21
Team_Green
Banned!

MTF Member # 7124

My 6300 was built in Germany.. it's been one heck of a tractor.. no issues yet.. hmm time for a new set of skins soon...
Team_Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 09:10 AM   post #13 of 21
ky wonder
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19840

do not think that you will ever get the service or longevity of the old dubuqe, waterloo tractors from what deere is selling today, it will just not happen

the newer small deeres would fall apart quickly if they ever had to do the work of the old tractors, they are just not in the same league
imo
ky wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 12:37 AM   post #14 of 21
mowes
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45819

and here at the end of the rant i thot u were gonna say that u finally broke down and got a nice riding select series tractor.. checkout the X310 with hydraulic deck, power steer and serviceable transmission, been sellin' like hotcakes and are priced higher in Canada.. and then ther's that X540 that's water cooled and has differential lock..4 wheel steer models.. quite the variety.. thinkin' the quality put into the select series is purdy good as they warrantied for 4 yrs.. and if they gonna build'm in China, they'll sell'm in China..
john deere, harley davidson and Norman Rockwell are all American Icons..
now who wants some apple pie..

~Mowes
mowes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 AM   post #15 of 21
gordon_bellinger
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 72132

i know this dont have nothing to do with deere but ill though it out there anyway. i work at a factory that makes locking lug nut, plain lug nuts and anything else custom locks for both government, business, and for just the private consumer. sure we have stuff brought in like our plastic stuff but over all it is mainly all stuff made in the us we mill, plate and assemble all our stuff. however we do send stuff to other counties to assemble . there are 3 or 4 other factories world wide the largest is i believe japan then us then Germany . i guess what im getting at is just because a part says its made in china (or where ever) doesnt mean the whole part was. it just means the the main part of that part was. we send main parts over and they slap "made in bla bla " on it. im sure the us companies do it too.

i dont blame deere one bit for resorting to out sourcing. a company now days has to do it in order to stay a float. the American way of pay is so messed up. the "bosses" get paid 50 grand or more to sit in a office on the phone and computer while the floor workers bust hump for just over minimum wage. that brings me to another point. we are some of the highest paid people in the world over all and yet everyone (including myself) is always asking for more money per hour. just think about it. back in theday people didnt complain so much, they were happy with what they were getting thus meaning companies wernt forking out 8.00 ph at the least. but as we all got greedier companies had think of ways to make more money to pay us more. out sourcing is the oly logical way of doing that.

so think of that before ya start complaing about how jobs are going across seas at such a quick rate and how everything is made over there and not as much is made here. plain and simple companies can no longer afford a 100% american work force now days like they could way back then.

i do agree that the new stuff isnt built as tough now as it was back then though. you cant beat good ole american steel !! we may charge more but at least its built solid and will last 50 years !!!

1964 bolens 800 tube frame

my other goodies

93 suzuki king quad 4x4 300cc
gordon_bellinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.