Herniated Disc - Page 3 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Health and Fitness Keeping in shape

Old 01-19-2012, 12:23 AM   post #31 of 58
RDR
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 4731
Default Re: Herniated Disc

I won't know if anything can be done until the Dr. sees the MRI. That won't be until next week. With everything deteriorating I don't know what will happen.

I skipped the wine last night and didn't sleep well. Tonight I am overdoing it, but will sleep. Pulling grass so I can find some of the blackberries to prune them made for a long day. This year they will have better care to make it better for next year.

I had a friend and classmate the had spine problems. He had bone spurs that were growing in. At least the ones in my lower back are growing out. He was on pain meds. They changed his meds. Four days later he shot his dog and then himself. I noticed one of the side affects of Tramadol was suicidal tendencies.

As you mentioned, you can tolerate a lot of pain so as not to take the crap the drug companies are getting rich on. The main thing is to ignore it and keep busy.
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 08:23 AM   post #32 of 58
coldwater
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 56256
Garage

Spinal research and medicine has made great progress over the last few years, and i hope there is a suitable treatment available to you. Texas has some of the finest spine research and treatment centers in the country. My surgeon received his training in Texas, and he not only saved my life, but more importantly, my WAY of life following treatment. While I will never be 100%, I am able to function and live an active life, so far, without the need for powerful medications. I wish you great luck!
coldwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 PM   post #33 of 58
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

Thanks. I feel pretty good tonight. Worked hard, but spent more time in my recliner. Only had one glass of wine last night also.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 PM   post #34 of 58
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

Today I finally got in to see the Dr. First she said the MRI looked a lot worse than the x-ray. She also said "I guess some people have a higher tolernance of pain." She couldn't believe I am still getting by with a couple of aspirin at night. I told her I can tolerate the pain. I was worried about the cracking and popping in my neck. She said that was the least of her worries. She is afraid I might wake up some morning and find my left arm doesn't work. Tomorrow I get to call a nuerosurgeon.

Moderately severe degenerative disc sisease with disc space narrowing is seen at all levels between C3 and T1. Posterior annular bulging is seen at all of the levels between C3 and T1. The one at C3-4 is herniated in and pushing on the spinal cord.

The thing I liked that my Dr. said about the other one is that he doesn't like surgery if not needed. Time will tell.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 PM   post #35 of 58
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

Can't get in until 2/18. At least I don't have to go to Houston on a week day. Next is to ask my Dr. about 2 and 3 physicals ago. I remember telling her that my left arm felt strange. This may have been going on for awhile.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM   post #36 of 58
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

I didn't like my trip to Houston yesterday or the Dr. He went for surgery without seeing my MRI. I think a second opinion is warranted. I think the next Dr. isn't going to have anything to do with "surgeon" in their name.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 AM   post #37 of 58
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

I've been taking it easy. At least I have plenty to do that doesn't include any lifting. Not much pc time since sometimes it was bothering me to sit here.

Last Thursday was a trip back to my Dr. My bp was 148/82 which is way high for me. I was irritated about a woman on a cell phone in the waiting room She wanted me on a prescription. I asked to have it checked again on Monday. It was 116/70.

Tomorrow is a trip to a neurologist that is 30 miles away instead of 70. Since the surgeon couldn't get me in for 30 days I decided not to be in a hurry. Anyone else see the story on the world news about dirty surgical instruments?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:13 PM   post #38 of 58
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

No surgery. After looking at my MRI and checking reflexes, arm and leg strength, she said at this time she doesn't see anything to warrant surgery. Makes me have second thoughts about the surgeon I went to.

I have to be careful on lifting, pushing or pulling on anything. I go back in Tuesday for tests to make sure there isn't any nerve damage. I mentioned about laying over something to take the weight of my discs. She said that would be good. The surgeon said no.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:13 PM   post #39 of 58
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

After being jabbed with needles and elctric shock I was told I have severe carpal tunnel syndrome. I was told surgery was simple for this. I asked why I would want surgery on something that isn't bothering me? Other than that no loss of strength or nerve damage.

As long as there are no sharp pains down my left leg or arm, no visit for 3 months. Light lifting and no straining on anything. Looks like I'll have to come up with electric start on my hand crank diesel water pump for irrigation. All in all, I feel pretty good if I don't over do it.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 AM   post #40 of 58
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

If severe carpal tunnel syndrome is supposed to be painful, compared to my back I would rate it about like a mosquito bite. So far I don't consider my back that bad. The Drs. got me a little rattled.

While mowing a few days ago I got thinking. I know sometimes that can be dangerous. I thought about how my left arm felt strange 2 to 3 years ago. It isn't now. On my neck problems, I went to the Dr. to find out why it was cracking and popping. Otherwise I wasn't having any problems other than what I thought was normal pain for a lot of things I do. After taking it easy for about 3 weeks I felt worse. I have gradually worked up to most of the things I do except for heavy lifting. I'm still at only about half of what I would normally do. I feel much better. I still hit the recliner 3 to 4 times a day and stretch out for 30 minutes.

I don't have to work. I like to work. I can't just lay around like some. Each Dr. I have seen has the idea that I need surgery either for something I haven't complained about or something I mention years ago that wasn't bothering me lately. I am going to listen to my body and keep doing what doesn't bother me. What would you do?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 PM   post #41 of 58
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

Tonight I feel the best in a long time. Monday I hoed 2 90' rows of peppers, squash and tomatoes. Yesterday I hoed an 80' row of onions. I had back pain from using muscles getting out of shape. It was great. I know that will go away. I'll keep taking it easy on lifting and pulling on things.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:28 AM   post #42 of 58
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439

Maybe this will make a few of you feel better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ow1nlafOg&ob=av3e
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVFE02NTgU Pictured:79 Mustang Pace car 5.0 4sp I sold in 1990. All Toro: 520xi, 2x 266-H. Selling on Ebay. Google: "ebay Mustangboyd" all one word, no spaces. As of July 15: Sears 4ws hydro transaxle, WH B115 hood, Toro 265-6 rear wheels, 1979 Case 446/448 manual. Wanted: WH or Toro 42" rear discharge mower deck. Parting out late 80s Toro 117 Groundsmaster w/52" deck.

Last edited by Boyd; 04-14-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Boyd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 01:21 AM   post #43 of 58
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

I was beginning to have doubts, but I made it through grape season. Some days were a little rough, but made it through with a little help from my wife on the picking part. The nice thing is after they are picked everything I make from them I do in the a/c.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:08 AM   post #44 of 58
Robert Webb
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 53133
Garage

RDR I can sympathize with you on the doctors........I was having problems with my neck and it was causing problems with pain all the way down to my finger tips and occasionally numbness in my hands. Had all of the nerve test done and was told the same thing that you were told.......SEVERE CARPAL TUNNEL...........Told them that I wasnt worried about my hands.......I was worried about my neck. I have the same issues that you have but not near as bad from your description. I have bad discs in my neck and in my thoracic spine. I just had a cervical spinal block done last Tuesday and it seems to be working so far. I had one done back last December and it helped up until about a month or so ago. It had gotten to the point that I couldnt sleep at night because everytime I moved my neck would scream at me......lol

I use Doctors as a LAST resort. My cardiologist fusses at me because I dont have a "primary physician". I tell him the same thing every time I see him...........IF and WHEN I need a doctor, I will go......I aint going just to be poked and prodded for them to "FIND" something to treat. I didnt even meet my insurance deductible for the year last year!

John Deere 430
John Deere 425 with 54" Deck and Power Flow and MC 519 Cart
John Deere 400 with 60" Deck and Power Flow
John Deere 112 H with 38" deck
John Deere 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/ 12" extension and 3 Pt setup
John Deere 21 Cart
John Deere 80 Cart (refurbished to be used)
John Deere 22 Cart (Greens mower trailer)
54" 4 way plow
Brinly 10" Sleeve hitch plow
Brinly 12" 3pt Plow X2
Brinly 4 gang Disc
Brinly Cultivator
5 JD 400 parts machines (2 are destined to be rebuilt)
Craftsman Lawn Cart (orphaned)

Its amazing how fast the collection grows when you aren't even trying....
Robert Webb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 10:44 PM   post #45 of 58
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

I ate about 30 minutes ago. I took my 2 aspirin. I am now on my first sleeping pill, a glass of red wine. I take 2 almost every night. Between the aspirin and wine things go smooth for good night's sleep. Once in awhile it might be a 3 glass night. Some nights none. Beats being on drugs.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.