Off-season topic. - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 PM   post #1 of 5
WMass712
MTF Member

MTF Member # 71242
Default Off-season topic.

So, now that I'm well on the way to resurecting my Suburban 12 I have a question. Would a newer 2-stage sears snowthrower attachment mount onto it and be able to be powered via the mule drive on the front? The snowthrower ia model # 842 240729 serial # 457451. Suburban is model 917.99420. I know we're comin up on summer, but the way life is it'll be January and the middle of a blizzard before I know it and I'm tired of clearing a 1/4 mile driveway with a walk-behind.
WMass712 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 PM   post #2 of 5
lobsterbox
"Mandrake!"

MTF Member # 32341
Default Re: Off-season topic.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say likely not, because the newer sears snow blowers mount to the underside of the frame on the 80's Craftsman II GT's. I do know that Haban made an aftermarket snowblower that was compatible with the Sears Suburbans.
1973 Sears SS/16 V-Twin (Loader)
1975 Roper RT/16 (3 Point)
1974 Roper RT/16 Dual Hydraulics (project)
lobsterbox is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 07:05 PM   post #3 of 5
Small Fry
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8155

I had a newer Craftsman blower on a Suburban, I don't have the model number but it was gray and from the 80's. The blower had a long frame that went under the tractor and mounted to the deck hangers. The pulley was on that frame and was about were your mower pulley would be. I did run it off the mule drive just like a mowing deck.
I still have it in the barn but it's barried. The one I have lined right up, no mods were needed. I put a peice off round stock threw the rear deck hangers. The ears on the blower frame slipped on to that rod, then the frame mounted to the front deck hangers.
It was hard on the belt, but the blower pulleys were pitted from rust when I got it. Im not sure if it was the pitting or the angle of the belt. I gave up because 12 hp was not really enough power for the size of the blower.

Small Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 PM   post #4 of 5
WMass712
MTF Member

MTF Member # 71242

Good to know it CAN be done, the power was the next question, I believe this is a 40" or 42" blower which will eat alot of snow, however if I go in 1st gear Low it might just do it
WMass712 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 PM   post #5 of 5
mcavvie
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 50597

I've been looking for a two stage blower to adapt also, the ones I looked at were the models that have an idler pulley on the frame, like the MTD models. A belt runs from the idler to the blower and one from it to the engine.
1985 Bolens 1900 Eliminator c/w Cat "0" 3 PT., 60" deck, 54" blade, 46" dual stage blower, 1977 Bolens G14, 2005 Bolens(MTD) 17.5 hp c/w 42" deck, 42" Bolens mower deck, 2-42" Bolens snowblowers, 33" Bolens tiller, 42" MTD 8 HP tow behind tiller, 1978 Sears Canadian 19.9c/w FEL, 1977 Sears 16/6 twin, 2-moldboard plows, Spike harrow, spring tooth harrow, 2 - Cultivator, Sears Tote box, 46" dozer blade, 42" deck. Komatsu PC18MR-2 Mini excavator(in 2 pieces now)
mcavvie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.