Need help attaching FEL to BX2360 not on concrete - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
CodeSlinger
MTF Member

MTF Member # 42353
Default Need help attaching FEL to BX2360 not on concrete

I sure could use some help. I like the BX2360 over all but am totally frustrated with attaching the Kubota FEL and feel the connection brackets are poorly designed. I've managed to connect the FEL maybe 3x over the last couple years. Last night I got the right side pin in all the way and the left side pin in only half way. Presumably the brackets mounted on the tractor are still bent and out of alignment, but it took me a long time to even get that far. I was told that it was impossible to bend them, yet Kubota came out and agreed, said they would replace them, kept my tractor for 2 months, and in the end just straightened one instead of replacing. I probably originally bent them trying to mount the FEL while not on a concrete slab. The Kubota dealer said I had to have a concrete slab. While that may be true, I don't have one, and I think unreasonable to demand a tractor have to have a piece of concrete to take the FEL on and off. Seems this would reek havoc on the concrete as much flailing around as happens on the dirt or gravel trying to connect it. That said, I can see where it would probably help but think the whole design is poor as I have struggled for a long time trying to get the FEL on even when it did go on, and now can get it connected only partially, so can't use the thing. Certainly there is some way to connect even on gravel or dirt. I have watched the video, read the manual, and just can never get the second pin in all the way anymore. I even made a gantry crane of sort to hoist the FEL up and down since the stand does not work on the dirt road. From day one it was very difficult as well and while trying, the bucket probably swung too far on one pin that was in and bent that bracket.

Is there some sort of easy mount attachment for this FEL and the BX2360?

Some trick for gravel and dirt if no concrete slab?

Thanks for any suggestions, Dave

Last edited by CodeSlinger; 04-08-2012 at 11:21 AM.
CodeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
mikesj
BX1860

MTF Member # 41755
Default Re: Need help attaching FEL to BX2360 not on concrete

I'm with you brother. I've got a BX1860 and while I love having a loader, I dread putting it on. Like you, I've got a gravel floor in my shed. I just put mine on yesterday- it took me a half an hour and I had to use a mallet to tap my left pin into place, but I got it. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.
mikesj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
rockford
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 26868

Thanks guys. I was thinking of taking mine off but now I'll reconsider.
rockford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
UrbanTractor
Likes Vintage JDs

MTF Member # 38663

I don't own one, but have demo-ed the FEL removal/mount at the kubota dealership when evaluating the BX. I actually found it pretty simple to mount and dismount.

One thing I've heard about is the importance of setting the FEL on a level surface. Otherwise it can get wracked and won't re-mount easily. I think this applies to almost any FEL of any brand. I don't know that it would HAVE to be set on a concrete pad -- but an uneven dirt surface could be problematic. Could you purchase some 3/4" ply and shim it up for a level pad?

If your mounting bracket was somehow damaged, the place to start is by getting that resolved once and for all. If you think you may have caused the damage by operator error, then it might just be best to pony up and purchase a replacement. If you think it was defective, then push hard to get it replaced under warranty. This time, don't let that dealership take the tractor until they have the replacement parts in hand and can promise a quick turn around!!!

1966 JD 110 Round Fender Integral Sleeve Hitch, Model 42 Blade, Model 36 Snowthrower, Model 36 MMM, 1964 Model 80 Cart

1972 JD 140 H3 Model 54/48" 4-Way Blade, Model 43 Blade, Model 48 MMM, 542 PTO, 3-Point-Hitch, Heavy-Hitch, Model 15 Cart, Johnson Model 12 FEL (in progress), MTF Dec. 2013 Machine of the Month
UrbanTractor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
mfarmelo
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 37790

That's a bummer you guys are having trouble with the loader mounting. Its all about leveling the loader relative to the tractor. Try shimming the tractor with a piece of wood under the rear tire on the low side. This is what i do when i unmount someplace not level. I leave a couple of pieces of wood in the ballast box for that purpose, works every time. Once you get the hang of it it's easy. I do agree it's easier on concrete, i have carpet under the loader to prevent messing up the floor. My loader goes on or off for some reason once or twice a week, takes less than 1 min.
mfarmelo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
JRC0528

MTF Member # 21688

I have the BX2350 with the 243 FEL and R&R it on a regular basis. Primarily I do it in the shed where it rests on a level concrete pad, but I also drop it in the yard or the gravel driveway. Even if it's slightly off level I don't have any issues with realigning it and sliding the pins in. There's a simple procedure I follow that works every time...

Re-Attaching the BX243 FEL on a BX23X0/BX18X0:

1) Pull in square and centered between the FEL arms, stopping about 4-5 inches short.
2) Turn Off the engine and operate the FEL joystick in all four directions to relieve any residual pressure.
3) Clean and firmly attach all four hydraulic connectors, ensuring they seat completely.
4) Restart the engine and throttle up to ~2200 RPM (not critical, just high enough to have full hydraulic pressure)
5) Using the FEL Lower motion of the joystick (joystick forward) fully retract the lifting cylinders.
6) Pull forward to within 1-2 inches of the FEL arms.
7) Using the FEL Raise motion on the joystick (joystick back), extend the arms toward the mounts until BOTH touch and slightly scoot the FEL forwards. The base of both arms should be in contact with the mounts and hovering over the sockets at the lower front of the mounts.
8) Check that the arms are roughly centered over the mounts and if needed center them by hand. (get off tractor and push/pull on the arms as needed)
9) Using the Bucket Dump motion of the joystick (joystick FULL right, past the detent) lower the FEL arms into the sockets, visually confirming both are seated.
10) Continue using the Bucket Dump motion of the joystick (joystick FULL right, past the detent) to raise the front wheels slightly off the ground; the goal is the weight transfer here, not ground clearance.
11) Once the weight of the front end is on the FEL the two mounting pins should insert fully with minimal force required.
12) Raise the FEL and return the stand to it's folded position.

Hope this helps. If the pins are still hard to R&R with the front tires raised clear of the ground than you do indeed have alignment issues that the dealer needs to correct. As long as the surface is close to level this procedure works well. By raising the front and into the air it causes the arms and mounts to press firmly into each other to the mechanical stops welded to each. As a side, you'll notice that any time the FEL has the front axle lifted clear and isn't on a serious bind your pins will both be loose.

Many a man in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl!
-- Stephen Leacock on the danger of infatuation
JRC0528 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
CodeSlinger
MTF Member

MTF Member # 42353

Thanks everyone. And thanks for the detailed process JRC.

I figured out what I was doing wrong reading the comments and watching a couple videos - I was not lifting the BX front wheels off the ground. That sure makes a difference.
CodeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
JRC0528

MTF Member # 21688

Glad we could help!

That's the power of forums... someone likely is well experienced in dealing with your issue.

Many a man in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl!
-- Stephen Leacock on the danger of infatuation
JRC0528 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
savageactor7
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 18371

We use a spud bar around here to nudge attachments into place...everyone should have, a real back saver.

They're almost 6' long.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.