Plug Aerator Tine Repair - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-09-2012, 10:02 PM   post #1 of 9
migraineman
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26161
Default Plug Aerator Tine Repair

Many moons ago, before I knew any better, I purchased a plug aerator as part of a package deal. Turns out the previous owner had seriously abused the aerator, bending most of the spoons 90-degrees. His yard must have had multiple buried concrete clothesline anchors ...

I finally got around to doing something about this mess. I figured that if I couldn't fix the tines, certainly there would be replacement parts available. Right? Uhm, no. I can buy the larger 3/4" plugger tines for the Bluebird commercial aerators, but the smaller 1/2" tubular types appear to be made of pure hensteethium. Precision and Agri-Fab have long since moved to a flat plugger tine that is incompatible with this model.

So I took the thing apart, and set to straightening the bent tines. A simple piece of steel tube made quick work of the slightly-bent spoons, but the 90-degree victims needed more care lest they tear in half. I found that squeezing the bend in my big bench vise would open the tine without tearing the metal (too much,) then I could roll the piece on my steel tube/mandrel while expressing my displeasure with the ball pein hammer. In all but three cases, I was able to straighten the spoons without catastrophic separation.

I spent about two hours welding the tears closed, and running a bead over the tang the manufacturer used for the initial bending operation. The tang hole creates a fundamental weakness in the spoon, and all were bent at this location. The three separated tines were seamed back together. Two remaining tines were sans-spoon. I fabbed replacement ends from some tube stock on hand - yes, it is EMT, which ain't the best choice for this. Each spoon received a weld up each side to prevent re-bending, along with whatever welding was necessary to close-up the metal.

Everything went back together, and I took it for a spin around the new garden. There are large clumps of soil and turf still floating about, and the aerator did a decent job of breaking up the lumpy bits. I bashed about the garden for a half-hour, and none of the spoons failed. I may have to keep this appliance in it's current form. It certainly has a more menacing look with all the spoons straightened out.

migraineman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 04:28 AM   post #2 of 9
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37
Default Re: Plug Aerator Tine Repair

Nice work. slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 AM   post #3 of 9
ggsteve
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 9436
Garage

Wow, I would have bet all the money in my wallet that just unbending those tines would have caused enough metal fatigue to cause them to bend back when used. Nice job!
69 JD 110H 37A blower 50 cart
71 JD 140H3 integral hitch 54" 4-way blade 46" deck cozy cab
71 JD 140H1
72 JD 110 parts
78 JD 316 49 blower
81 JD 317 Onan JB Sr. 46" deck 80 Cart
84 JD 214 39 deck 43 blade

Toro 212-5 36" blower
74 Concord (MTD) 990
12 cu. ft. poly cart, JD front dethatcher, plug aerator, drop spreader, box blade, 10" bottom plow, sweeper
ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 08:25 AM   post #4 of 9
scrat2
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 21897

Nice rebuild. Is that a Swisher brand aerator?
scrat2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM   post #5 of 9
Jere39
Have Dog - Will Travel

MTF Member # 47088

Good luck, it almost looks like the PO pulled it across a driveway or sidewalk with the wheels up. Looks like you've got it ready for action again.

Jere39 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 10:25 AM   post #6 of 9
migraineman
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26161

There are no stickers or tags on the thing. It bears a strong resemblance to the Precision PA42GY aerator, below. The Agri-Fab lift linkage is substantially different from what I have.

Honestly, I gave it a 50/50 chance of re-bending the spoons. I did try to reinforce the wrinkled areas, but every one of the spoons was damaged to some extent. If it lasts, great. If not, I'll tear it apart and re-task the usable pieces (maybe convert it to a disc harrow.)

My wife it semi-pleased with the repair. It's no longer just an eyesore taking up space in the back yard. Now it's a functional eyesore, which makes it easier to justify keeping. I think she was hoping it would just go away.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:27 PM   post #7 of 9
mikeinri
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 62115

Wow, that was an impressive amount of abuse.

Great job resurrecting that mess!

Mike
mikeinri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 08:45 PM   post #8 of 9
migraineman
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26161

One of my co-workers accused me of telling a tall tale. Apparently it's un-possible to use EMT in this application and have it not bend. I'll shove the following photos under his nose tomorrow.

Here's a close up of one of the EMT tines, then a photo of the underside of one of many boogery welds. You can still see the fracture from the bottom. I bent the fabrication tangs over with a punch, then welded the hole closed from the outside. I didn't attempt welding from the inside because I couldn't get all the paint and rust cleared. I thought about soaking them in solvent, but I was trying to get this task completed under time constraints.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 PM   post #9 of 9
ggsteve
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 9436
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraineman View Post
There are no stickers or tags on the thing. It bears a strong resemblance to the Precision PA42GY aerator, below. The Agri-Fab lift linkage is substantially different from what I have.

Honestly, I gave it a 50/50 chance of re-bending the spoons. I did try to reinforce the wrinkled areas, but every one of the spoons was damaged to some extent. If it lasts, great. If not, I'll tear it apart and re-task the usable pieces (maybe convert it to a disc harrow.)

My wife it semi-pleased with the repair. It's no longer just an eyesore taking up space in the back yard. Now it's a functional eyesore, which makes it easier to justify keeping. I think she was hoping it would just go away.

That's the one I have, although I think mine came a box branded "Red Devil" or something like that:

69 JD 110H 37A blower 50 cart
71 JD 140H3 integral hitch 54" 4-way blade 46" deck cozy cab
71 JD 140H1
72 JD 110 parts
78 JD 316 49 blower
81 JD 317 Onan JB Sr. 46" deck 80 Cart
84 JD 214 39 deck 43 blade

Toro 212-5 36" blower
74 Concord (MTD) 990
12 cu. ft. poly cart, JD front dethatcher, plug aerator, drop spreader, box blade, 10" bottom plow, sweeper
ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.