Soaker hose system recommendations - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Home Garden Herbs and Veggies grown at home

Old 04-08-2012, 06:13 PM   post #1 of 7
patf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 68943
Default Soaker hose system recommendations

I'm looking to make my garden watering as easy as possible and also not wast water which i would likely do if i move hoses around with sprinklers etc.

I have 11 4ft wide hilled up beds. Each bed will have 2 rows. So i was thinking soaker hoses right down the middle

rows are 36 ft long which is a odd length for stock hoses. I was wonder what people would recommend include where to buy?

I see some system where you can have up to 500' on one spicket, so If that is really possible it could be on large zone.

Should i go with stock hoses, or mixter of poly tube to connect the soaker hoses?

Any recommendations?
patf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 09:26 PM   post #2 of 7
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807
Default Re: Soaker hose system recommendations

i bought a 500' roll of soaker off ebay a few years ago. the first year i used it UNCUT and just snaked it around the garden. since then i have cut it a few times, and just use a hose clamp to close off the end. you could get a couple 50' or 4 25' ones and just cut to length.

davidg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 10:08 PM   post #3 of 7
patf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 68943

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
i bought a 500' roll of soaker off ebay a few years ago. the first year i used it UNCUT and just snaked it around the garden. since then i have cut it a few times, and just use a hose clamp to close off the end. you could get a couple 50' or 4 25' ones and just cut to length.
David, Thanks for the reply.

500' is probalby about right for me. I have 11x36' double rows to cover so about 400'. But I also have 2 experiments where i am growing potatoes in 3x3 boxes and I have a dozen berry bushes I am planting nearby. so 500' would not be that much extra. Do you recall who you orded from? There seems to be alot of vendors and it is nice to get some recommendations from people who have purchased their hose before.
patf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 PM   post #4 of 7
KRS
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 63500

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
0.50" or 0.25" ?
08 MS310 Stihl chainsaw
XL700 Homelite chainsaw
Lincoln AC 225 arc welder
Lincoln HD100 wire welder
KRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 11:14 PM   post #5 of 7
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

.5", but i have no clue who it was. it has held up good, i don't store it for the winter usually just leaving it laying in a pile outside or some years even leave it in the garden. i've had a few blow outs from overpressure in it before i finally figured out the right pressure to run it.

when i cut it into sections i went to lowes and bought some 1" PVC, screw together coupler ends, male/female hose ends to fit the PVC, tees with 1/2" female threads, and a handful of 1/2" screw in nipples. i put a tee every 4 feet along the PVC pipe, and every 10' i put a coupler. the soaker fits the nipple and is held on with a hose clamp. i can make my pvc 50'+ long, or break it down into several 10' sections and connect them with regular garden hoses. this has worked great for the last couple years, though the hose clamps tend to rust pretty quick when out in the weather! i feed this off my deep well, and even with 6-7 years of minerals the hose has not clogged yet. i can't get a full season out of the hoses from Wally world/Lowes.

oh and for blow outs i simply use some 1/2" metal conduit and splice it in with hose clamps. most of these now are cause by an errant hoe or the driver of the X500 not paying attention and trying to cut a little too close to the garden!

Old 04-08-2012, 11:54 PM   post #6 of 7
SonnyT
Hoosier Born & Raised!

MTF Member # 21893
Garage

I have used the 1/2" soaker hose for many years. About 4 years ago I went to drip irrigation for the Tomatos/ Peppers and have not been real happy with it. So I am going back to my soaker hose for everything this year.

SonnyT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 10:10 AM   post #7 of 7
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Colorite-Bulk-Soaker-Hose-5-8-Inch-by-250-ft-garden-/180842736719?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1b11 2c4f is the hose i have, it is 5/8 not 1/2 inch. i knew that did not sound right yesterday.

i also recommend soemthing like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mechanical-Hose-Watering-Irrigation-Timer-For-Low-Pressure-Drip-And-Soaker-Hoses-/190641491201?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c631e 4d01 as the hose does NOT come with a pressure regulator. if you run long run you don't really need one so long as you don't turn the bibb on full blast, but for shorter runs the pressure can build too much and cause a blow out. that's what the little rubber plug with the small hole is for on store bought soakers, i used to throw them away and then wonder why every hose i bought blew out in no time!

and for thos blow outs try http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garden-Soaker-Hose-CONNECTORS-Brand-New-/380331598793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588d87 a3c9

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.