Use of electric blower/vacuum to break sweet gum balls - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-08-2012, 05:40 PM   post #1 of 5
jerry_nj
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 1077
Default Use of electric blower/vacuum to break sweet gum balls

I have a couple of mature Sweet Gum trees and the annual production of seed balls is at the maximum in the spring. I have used my high speed tractor sweeper (see GT6000 avatar) and have tried a gas powered vacuum/blower shredder/chipper as well as a Yardman (Walmart with the Honda engine) to deal with the seed pods. This afternoon I tried (maybe again) the gasoline powered vacuum and it will not pick up pods that are embedded in the grass which needs mowing) unless I use the hose. This is heavy duty backbreaking work...so I though "what about one of those electric blower/vacuums?" Of course, I have a 20 year old one and decided to try it in the vacuum mode for the first time and found that it sucked the pod up fine, but the plastic/nylon... impeller could not break the pod down.

Looking I found: Toro 51599 Ultra 12 amp Variable-Speed Electric Blower/Vacuum with Metal Impeller, which has a titanium (or whatever) metal impeller. Any experience with a metal impeller to break up stuff harder than leaves?

1993 Craftsman GT6000 18 HP B&S twin L-head 44" 3-blade deck, - Avatar and duty GT
2005 Craftsman DYT4000 42" 2-blade deck - B&S 18.5 Intek - new head gasket twice in 500 hr. Was hit by a Pine tree blown down by Hurricane Sandy Oct.2012. But I now have the PYT9000 and a real mowing machine
2011 Craftsman PYT9000 B&S 26 HP Professional and 46" 2-blade deck. Wife said "ANOTHER TRACTOR?"
I replied "Yep"
jerry_nj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 PM   post #2 of 5
Walt 2002
Senior MTF Poster

MTF Member # 1229
Default Re: Use of electric blower/vacuum to break sweet gum balls

Don't take this wrong, don't want to irritate anyone, but the best way to deal with them is with a chain saw.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 PM   post #3 of 5
89YT12

MTF Member # 35873
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt 2002 View Post
Don't take this wrong, don't want to irritate anyone, but the best way to deal with them is with a chain saw.

Walt Conner
I was going to suggest dynamite

but why not just kill them by cutting the grass???

89YT12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 07:33 PM   post #4 of 5
mla2ofus
Old Stonebreaker

MTF Member # 138

Why wouldn't a big shop vac w/ 2 1/2" hose work to pick them up. That's what I used for harvesting pecans out of flowerbeds etc.
Mike
mla2ofus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 09:29 PM   post #5 of 5
jerry_nj

MTF Member # 1077

Hum, chain saw, too bad it isn't good fire wood.

A shop vacuum may work, and a lot easier to move around than is my gas powered vacuum. But, I kind of like the idea of breaking the balls into pieces.

Well, in any case, I finished as well as I'm going to the area around the two trees I have. We planted them ourselves about 20 years ago after seeing such nice shape and pretty colors on corporate drives that were lined with these trees. I suppose the corporate grounds keepers know how to clean up and that's why I didn't see the mess.

Still interested if anyone has used one of the electric blower/vacs to mulch anything harder than leaves.

1993 Craftsman GT6000 18 HP B&S twin L-head 44" 3-blade deck, - Avatar and duty GT
2005 Craftsman DYT4000 42" 2-blade deck - B&S 18.5 Intek - new head gasket twice in 500 hr. Was hit by a Pine tree blown down by Hurricane Sandy Oct.2012. But I now have the PYT9000 and a real mowing machine
2011 Craftsman PYT9000 B&S 26 HP Professional and 46" 2-blade deck. Wife said "ANOTHER TRACTOR?"
I replied "Yep"
jerry_nj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.