How BIG is your compost pile? - Page 4 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM   post #46 of 62
Nouveau Redneck
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 19566
Default Re: How BIG is your compost pile?

I wish I had taken some pictures this weekend when I was dumping a mess of tree limbs from all the downed trees we've had this year. There's a place near me that allows free dumping of yard debris, and they chip up the bigger stuff to make mulch and grind up the smaller stuff to compost into top soil. I had to drive my Grand Cherokee with the trailer behind it into a series of canyons between a half dozen or so piles of compost and mulch, most of the piles were about 30 feet high and 50' across at the base. I don't know how much more they had further back on the property, but what I saw was pretty amazing.
2008 John Deere X500
2010 John Deere X304
2014 Kubota BX25D w/50" snow blower

You know you might be a Nouveau Redneck if...
1. You use the cup holder on your tractor to hold your cosmopolitan instead of a beer
2. Your "Santa on a tractor" Christmas yard decoration is actually a high tech digital hologram.
3. Your deer camp cuisine is better than most 3 star restaurants.
Nouveau Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 11:15 AM   post #47 of 62
LLigetfa
standard issue neuralyzer

MTF Member # 15283

Ja, they have a commercial compost facility here but they have long windrows instead of big piles, probably to make it easy to turn.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=48.616772...h&z=18&vpsrc=6

You can try a street view of it.
http://maps.google.com/?ll=48.617704...3.84,,0,-17.26
Old 10-24-2011, 01:23 PM   post #48 of 62
Silvercreek Farmer
Formerly Tractor #2

MTF Member # 37172

I ran out of compost last weekend so I decided to spend today hauling organic material to the farm. I decided to take a sampling from all my sources. I try not to take too much advantage of my free sources as they are generally folks that know the value of organic material, but share a little just to be nice. I also buy a little, just because it is a little more convienient as it includes loading. Here is a picture of the organic "buffet":

From left to right
2 yards of chicken litter/carcass compost still needs a little time but sould make some black gold, cost $0
2 yards of "Designer" mulch, my guy at the sawmill misheard me and gave me the expensive stuff, he had already loaded it so I let it go, cost $15
2 yards of aged tree service chips, hand loaded, cost $0
2 yards of municipal yard waste chips, cost $5
2 yards of "rough" mulch from the sawmill, cost $10

Child labor, Cost: lunch and a bit of my sanity, but well worth it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55EvBb4fhWI

They are learning well. I can't wait until they have a little more meat on them!

Right around 10 yards total
Silvercreek Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 05:03 PM   post #49 of 62
LLigetfa

MTF Member # 15283

Now that there is a nice stash! Will probably reduce down to about half that but still, 5 yards.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 PM   post #50 of 62
fergus
Ferg

MTF Member # 56889

here she is!!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:54 PM   post #51 of 62
LLigetfa

MTF Member # 15283

LOL
I grew up on a farm and that looks very much like a manure pile. Mind you, back in my day I used to shovel it by hand not with a skid-steer.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:37 AM   post #52 of 62
fergus
Ferg

MTF Member # 56889

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
LOL
I grew up on a farm and that looks very much like a manure pile. Mind you, back in my day I used to shovel it by hand not with a skid-steer.
lol manure is farmers compost!! I love it when we spread it because all the surrounding people hate it!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:17 PM   post #53 of 62
Wayne195
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 44033
Garage

About two years ago we had gotten the local garbage disposal company to dump off a whole load of leaves that they pick up along the ronds in local towns. That was a lot more of a pile than I wanted in my backyard, but it's all on the garden now.
Wayne195 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 PM   post #54 of 62
John Snykus
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 9147

I know, this is a little late getting here but I finally got to it. Leaves have been dumped in my bin down by the garden every year. Leaves are used to cover garden each year. But we get move leaves than we can use for cover so the bin got full. I had no more room this fall so I got the FEL into the bin and dug this out. Nice stuff in left photo, Grandson sitting on new leaves on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dirt005.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	183946   Click image for larger version

Name:	dirt010.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	183947  
Old 11-20-2011, 09:13 PM   post #55 of 62
LLigetfa

MTF Member # 15283

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
lol manure is farmers compost!! I love it when we spread it because all the surrounding people hate it!!!
If the people are complaining, it is still too fresh to be called compost. Well composted manure doesn't stink.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 AM   post #56 of 62
hairyapple
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 49515
Default Re: How BIG is yours

This is why I love MTF because where else would you find a bunch of folks bragging on the size of their compost pile?
hairyapple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 AM   post #57 of 62
hairyapple
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 49515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne195 View Post
About two years ago we had gotten the local garbage disposal company to dump off a whole load of leaves that they pick up along the ronds in local towns. That was a lot more of a pile than I wanted in my backyard, but it's all on the garden now.
One year I thought it would be a good to pick up bagged leaves that were left out on the curb for the town to pick up and bring them home to enhance and build my compost pile. Not a good idea. There were some leaves alright, along with dog s--t, broken glass and other trash. It was awful. Our town composts leaves and the compost available to anyone who wants it. I found a mink coat in there. Has anyone composted a mink coat? How long does that usually take?
Old 04-08-2012, 11:56 AM   post #58 of 62
LLigetfa

MTF Member # 15283

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyapple View Post
One year I thought it would be a good to pick up bagged leaves that were left out on the curb for the town to pick up and bring them home to enhance and build my compost pile. Not a good idea. There were some leaves alright, along with dog s--t, broken glass and other trash. It was awful...
I could just imagine. The other thing is you can never be sure what sort of pesticide residue it may contain.

Speaking of animal crap, I've been dumping used kitty litter on my compost pile all Winter and then turn it in come Spring. Now to keep it in perspective, look at the size of my piles and given that the wife scoops most of the crap out and puts it in the landfill, the percentage of crap that makes into the compost pile is small. None the less, the wife was googling around some organic gardening sites and apparently what I did is a major faux pas and sure to revoke my organic status. Supposedly there are pathogens that don't get broken down...

Now, there may be a smidgen of truth to it, but our cat is not wild. He is raised on vet prescribed food, and while he may catch mice and birds, he doesn't eat them. She countered that by saying the pathogens could pass to the cat anyway. Keep in mind that mice will build nests in my compost pile and there is a lot of bird/squirrel/mouse crap as well from all the sunflower husks she cleans up around the bird feeders and tosses on the pile. Foxes too, like to crap on top of the pile to mark their territory.

I tried to counter the argument by saying the supposedly organic sheep manure she buys probably has more bad stuff in it. I mean, those mega sheep farms feed the sheep animal by-products, bathe the sheep in pesticides, and pump them full of antibiotics. I'm still in the doghouse...

The compost pile shown at the start of this thread is long gone now but it is a recurring process with 2 other piles started since. Last year I started a new pile in a different location to give the old one time to complete. In the Fall I picked up a nice mini-cultivator and I used it and my manure fork to turn the old pile this weekend. By the end of Summer it should be about 2 cu yards of black gold. I've yet to turn the new pile I started last Fall.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:44 PM   post #59 of 62
hairyapple
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 49515

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
I could just imagine. The other thing is you can never be sure what sort of pesticide residue it may contain.

Speaking of animal crap, I've been dumping used kitty litter on my compost pile all Winter and then turn it in come Spring. Now to keep it in perspective, look at the size of my piles and given that the wife scoops most of the crap out and puts it in the landfill, the percentage of crap that makes into the compost pile is small. None the less, the wife was googling around some organic gardening sites and apparently what I did is a major faux pas and sure to revoke my organic status. Supposedly there are pathogens that don't get broken down...

Now, there may be a smidgen of truth to it, but our cat is not wild. He is raised on vet prescribed food, and while he may catch mice and birds, he doesn't eat them. She countered that by saying the pathogens could pass to the cat anyway. Keep in mind that mice will build nests in my compost pile and there is a lot of bird/squirrel/mouse crap as well from all the sunflower husks she cleans up around the bird feeders and tosses on the pile. Foxes too, like to crap on top of the pile to mark their territory.

I tried to counter the argument by saying the supposedly organic sheep manure she buys probably has more bad stuff in it. I mean, those mega sheep farms feed the sheep animal by-products, bathe the sheep in pesticides, and pump them full of antibiotics. I'm still in the doghouse...

The compost pile shown at the start of this thread is long gone now but it is a recurring process with 2 other piles started since. Last year I started a new pile in a different location to give the old one time to complete. In the Fall I picked up a nice mini-cultivator and I used it and my manure fork to turn the old pile this weekend. By the end of Summer it should be about 2 cu yards of black gold. I've yet to turn the new pile I started last Fall.
Frankly, I would avoid any carnivorous animal waste in my garden. The sheep manure you buy may be irradiated or something to kill any micro organisms,
so it might be okay. There is so much free and available plant material out there that it almost makes animal by products pointless, in my opinion. It's just not worth taking the chance, even a few of these bacteria in the right environment can multiply faster than a congressman voting himself a raise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 PM   post #60 of 62
patf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 68943

Here is a picture of my first pile. In the past I just put the chopped leaves and grass on as a mulch to keep weeds down or tilled in in the fall, but very little decomposition happens that way so I I though i would try a more active approach.

I am going to add one or 2 more bins on to this this week as I can fill another bin immediatly.

I think I did a good job mixing this on Sunday as it is already 155F in the core on a 60f day.

I have wood chips and dried leaves for carbon and mostly grass for nitrogen, with each in about equal amounts by layer size. I also added about 40 lbs of composted cow manue to add a bit of nitrogen (1,1,1 per the bag). Only problem is i caught poisen ivy so i guess some poison ivy leaves may have blown in with my other leaves. I'll have to be more careful handling this stuff.

So how often should i stir, or do i let the teperature help determine that. Like i it goes down, I mix it into the empty bin and water as i mix it up? Or should mix on a regular schedule every 1? or 2? weeks?

thanks Pat
patf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.