Tire kickers - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Car Talk Auto shop and car discussions

Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
matt167
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 64659
Default Tire kickers

I'v recently dropped my Beetle to well below what it's worth, just cause I'm sick of looking at it, but I'm also not going to drop the price any more... had a guy come today, knock on the door and ask to hear it running. I jump started it ( dead battery ) and it fired right off, as it always does. he looks it over, checks the trans, offers about $200 less than I'm asking. Tell him it's gotta be my price, as it's giving the car away as it is. Then offers $100 less, but requires a test drive. I let him and he took it down the road, then as he was coming back, seemingly TRIED to flood it. made the car look bad and it stalled, we had to push it cause it was so flooded. get back to my drive and he tells me " get it running good, then my original offer stands ". does run good, he just has to learn to drive..What he did not know is there are 2 other people racing to get here tomorrow first cause I won't hold cars without a deposit.. 1st guys actualy going to wire a deposit, so I get to tell the other guy to stay home once I get it.

Rant /off
matt167 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Vonrow
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 36761
Default Re: Tire kickers

I had a car that I was selling and the buyer wanted to take it to a shop and have it looked over. I asked them wich shop was going to look at it. I told them I wasn't going to pay for their inspection, but they were free to have it looked at on their dime. They had the car hauled to the shop a few hours later.

I went to the shop where the car was at the next day. Spoke to the mechanic who said the engine was not running right. the people who asked him to look at it wanted an estimate on the repairs to get it running good. I asked what was wrong and he popped the hood: the plug wires had been swapped out with crappy old ones. (I knew this right off because the set I had on it were new and yellow in color and the ones on it were now black & mismatched) and the distributor was seriously out of time. I was furious. I had the title and the papers to the car & identified myself as the owner. On the spot, I swapped out the plug wires for another new set & re-timed the distributor, and then drove the car home immediately.

I got a call from the buyer, who somehow knew the car was back in my yard, they offered half of the asking price and wanted me to pay for the "repairs" to make it run decent. **it ran FINE when they first came to look at it. I told them to give back my plug wires or tack on another $100 bill in addition to my full asking price, and hung up the phone.
Vonrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
matt167

MTF Member # 64659

Yea, this car fires on the second crank and still seems to have all of it's 62 HP. Actually the engine alone is worth my asking price... Back when I sold my 2wd Ranger, it had a little rust on the core support which is super common but no big deal. The truck itself was MINT.. Guy offered me about 1/2 of my reasonable asking price cause the " front is ready to fall off "..
I cut a '94 up for parts which had both front core support mounts completly rotted off, and the front end was still there..
Old 04-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Matt, having a vehicle that needs to be jump started is just begging for lowball offers. To me, it would say, I need to spend $60 or more on a battery, plus worry about the charging system and wiring.

But if your price took that into account, that's another story.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
matt167

MTF Member # 64659

Yea, it takes it into account.. Price was about $500 less than it's actual fair market value in it's condition, which needs floor work and some other odds and ends. I do have it on the trickle charger and it seems to be holding.

In any case tho. the guy came thru with a deposit and it's basically sold.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Brett-JDX748
Has anyone seen ChimChim?

MTF Member # 1790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonrow View Post
I had a car that I was selling and the buyer wanted to take it to a shop and have it looked over. I asked them wich shop was going to look at it. I told them I wasn't going to pay for their inspection, but they were free to have it looked at on their dime. They had the car hauled to the shop a few hours later.

I went to the shop where the car was at the next day. Spoke to the mechanic who said the engine was not running right. the people who asked him to look at it wanted an estimate on the repairs to get it running good. I asked what was wrong and he popped the hood: the plug wires had been swapped out with crappy old ones. (I knew this right off because the set I had on it were new and yellow in color and the ones on it were now black & mismatched) and the distributor was seriously out of time. I was furious. I had the title and the papers to the car & identified myself as the owner. On the spot, I swapped out the plug wires for another new set & re-timed the distributor, and then drove the car home immediately.

I got a call from the buyer, who somehow knew the car was back in my yard, they offered half of the asking price and wanted me to pay for the "repairs" to make it run decent. **it ran FINE when they first came to look at it. I told them to give back my plug wires or tack on another $100 bill in addition to my full asking price, and hung up the phone.

Lord you are a better man than I am.. I would have BEAT the mechanic with his OWN torque wrench!

That knockin, ain't a loose rod, Son!
Photos

Former Fleet:
2009 Craftsman GTS5000 Excellerator - Sold
Photos

2006 John Deere 3320, FEL, Backhoe, 62 MMM - Sold
Photos

2005 Cub Cadet 6284D FEL, Backhoe , 70" rear finish mower - Bought back, LEMON
Photos
Brett-JDX748 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Vonrow

MTF Member # 36761

I knew the shop they had taken it to. He hadn't touched it yet. It was the potential buyer who swapped the wires & mucked up the timing. I actually had a decent conversation with the mechanic, who knew the car was mine and was kinda puzzled about why I would sell a car with that kind of "issue." He refused to do any more work for the fart blossoms who messed with it.
Vonrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
matt167

MTF Member # 64659

You have to be careful when letting them take it somewhere.. When I was selling my '98 Ranger 2wd, I had a lady ask to take it to her shop which is about 40 miles away. At first I told her there were 4 shops in town she could take it to, but she said it HAD to be her mechanic. I then told her I would be more than willing to let her take a short ride around and that I would take it to her mechanic and drop it off for her. but she told me that she had to make that trip. somthing didn't set right, so I just backed out of that deal, and sold it about a week later anyway
Old 04-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Brett-JDX748

MTF Member # 1790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonrow View Post
I knew the shop they had taken it to. He hadn't touched it yet. It was the potential buyer who swapped the wires & mucked up the timing. I actually had a decent conversation with the mechanic, who knew the car was mine and was kinda puzzled about why I would sell a car with that kind of "issue." He refused to do any more work for the fart blossoms who messed with it.
Reading Comprehension -1 for me.. I would have beat the perspective buyer with a Torque Wrench.. But, in retrospect it's not worth throwing your own torque wrench out of calibration!

Photos

Former Fleet:
Photos

Photos

Photos
Old 04-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Canawler

MTF Member # 32205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett-JDX748 View Post
I would have beat the perspective buyer with a Torque Wrench.. But, in retrospect it's not worth throwing your own torque wrench out of calibration!
Now you've got me wondering.... if you beat someone with a torque wrench, will you be able to tell how many pounds of force you used???

It's only money, you make more every day.
'74 Agway/MTD 990
'93 Troy-bilt GTX18
'74 Allis Chalmers Homesteader 8 (X2)
?? Simplicity Broadmoor 717
?? Pennsylvania Meteor 1010
Canawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Brett-JDX748

MTF Member # 1790

Hahahahahah!!!!

Photos

Former Fleet:
Photos

Photos

Photos
Old 04-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
orange j d
My Orange Jane Deere

MTF Member # 37225

Boy I love these kind of post, got my laugh for the day.

Sent from my FREE MTF APP PROVIDED BY MY FRIENDS AT MTF*****

Remember: Marriage is the number one cause of divorce.
orange j d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
Dodgeboy49
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 52593

It won't record the force you used, but it will count the number of times you kick them.

"Foot Pounds"

Dodgeboy49 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
Brett-JDX748

MTF Member # 1790

*slaps knee*

May The Force be with you!

Photos

Former Fleet:
Photos

Photos

Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #15
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439

About 1999 I had an early 90s Hyundai Excell I got for $1.00 with a bad tranny but a new clutch. I invested about $300 for tranny and ball joints into it. It had a sweet Mitusbishi engine in it. Listed it at average price of $1,100 and got a few calls. I lowered it to $900 and the phone started ringing a lot. One couple wanted me to let them take it to a shop for inspection without me going with. I said no. They pushed. I said no again. No sale. I drove into St.Paul to show it to some foreign guys and they offered me some ridiculous price of about $700 and I said no. Finally a local guy paid my $900 asking price and was happy to be able to buy it from me. Always make two bills of sale with names, addresses, drivers liscence numbers, time, signatures, vin # etc. One guy I sold several F150s to 5 years ago had sold a car 15 years ago without a bill of sale. The buyer hit and killed someone and ran from the scene to never be found. He, the seller had to go in front of a judge in court and lost his drivers liscence for 10 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVFE02NTgU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zdO4JuKEiw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJMEDJVDro0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy0B7M03U-E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r59AWfhwpPg
Pictured:79 Mustang Pace car 5.0 4sp that I sold in 1990. Toro 520xi 60" side, 42" rear discharge decks & Berco 40" blower, (2) Toro 266-H, Toro 117 Groundsmaster, Toro 724z making into pull type. WTB Toro 5xi front wheels & 2 Toro/WH 42" rear discharge decks.
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.