Locating a hydraulic filter - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

The Barn General discussion of Full size tractors and accessories

Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 PM   post #1 of 7
super m
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 71563
Default Locating a hydraulic filter

I have a dual 345 without a hydraulic filter I have been told to put it inline between the spool valve and the return to reservoir. It seems it would do more good on the outlet of the reservoir before the pto pump. Don't know if it will restrict flow to pump?
super m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 PM   post #2 of 7
wally2q
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45
Default Re: Locating a hydraulic filter

filter should be on the suction side of the pump....
wally2q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM   post #3 of 7
super m
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 71563

Thanks I didn't think it made sense to filter the oil after it had been circulated local tractor parts store gave me the miss information
super m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 08:06 AM   post #4 of 7
Nouveau Redneck
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 19566

I've always seen add-on filters on the return line back to the reservoir. I think that there's 2 reasons. First, you don't want to restrict the flow on the suction side of the pump, especially on a system that wasn't designed to have a filter in the first place. Second, the oil gets dirty when it's out in the system doing work, so cleaning it before it gets back to the reservoir keeps the rest of the reservoir from getting contaminated.
2008 John Deere X500
2010 John Deere X304
2014 Kubota BX25D w/50" snow blower

You know you might be a Nouveau Redneck if...
1. You use the cup holder on your tractor to hold your cosmopolitan instead of a beer
2. Your "Santa on a tractor" Christmas yard decoration is actually a high tech digital hologram.
3. Your deer camp cuisine is better than most 3 star restaurants.
Nouveau Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 08:10 AM   post #5 of 7
wally2q
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45

both good reasons, however, the oil reservoir may also already have debris in it - including debris that fell in during the act of adding oil for example.
My philosophy is that you don't want to send that debris throughout the entire hydraulic circuit, and only hope that it works its way through to the return line and into the filter.....

the return line may have very little pressure in it - in some instances, it's even relies on gravity flow. Adding the filter there may cause unexpected backpressure in the hydraulic system. This may or may not be a problem.

having said that, the filter has to be big enough to not restrict pump inlet flow rate. it should not be a small automotive filter.

best thing to do is google filter kits and see what the experts are doing....
wally2q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 AM   post #6 of 7
jdemaris
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21690

Quote:
Originally Posted by super m View Post
I have a dual 345 without a hydraulic filter I have been told to put it inline between the spool valve and the return to reservoir. It seems it would do more good on the outlet of the reservoir before the pto pump. Don't know if it will restrict flow to pump?
A good hydraulic system will have two filters. A finer filter on the return circuit (with a relief valve) and a coarser filter on the suction side of the pump. The suction filter is usually wire mesh and just stops the bigger debris and is reusable.
Tractors: IH B275 (2), Case VAC,/VAC-14(2), Case DC (3) Ford 641, Shaw R12, MF35, Ferg TO35, Bolens Ridemaster, AC HD4/ HD6 dozer, Oliver HG dozer, Oliver OC46 crawler, Deere 300B TLB/ 1010 crawler, Ford 4000 TLB, Pettibone TLB, IH 3414 TLB
Garden tractors (over 100 ).
Chainsaws: Remington Mall (2), Sthil S10, 040, 041G, 045 Super, 051, 041 Super; Dolmar/Makita DCS510 and DCS6401, Echo(3), EFCO/Deere CS56 (3), Poulan Pro (4), Husqvarna 455, Hoe, Lombard 2 man, Homelites (over 20).
jdemaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 AM   post #7 of 7
jdemaris
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21690

Quote:
Originally Posted by super m View Post
Link to 25 GPM in-line suction filter - 25 micron with a 5 PSI bypass/relief. Cost $30 . .

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...name=hydraulic

32 GPM suction filter - also 25 micron is $40 . .

20 GPM return filter assembly with a 10 micron filter and bypass is $14 ..

Tractors: IH B275 (2), Case VAC,/VAC-14(2), Case DC (3) Ford 641, Shaw R12, MF35, Ferg TO35, Bolens Ridemaster, AC HD4/ HD6 dozer, Oliver HG dozer, Oliver OC46 crawler, Deere 300B TLB/ 1010 crawler, Ford 4000 TLB, Pettibone TLB, IH 3414 TLB
Garden tractors (over 100 ).
Chainsaws: Remington Mall (2), Sthil S10, 040, 041G, 045 Super, 051, 041 Super; Dolmar/Makita DCS510 and DCS6401, Echo(3), EFCO/Deere CS56 (3), Poulan Pro (4), Husqvarna 455, Hoe, Lombard 2 man, Homelites (over 20).
jdemaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.