T1530 PTO Noise?!? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM   post #1 of 4
BlueBoomer
I grew up, so did my toys

MTF Member # 59481
Default T1530 PTO Noise?!?

I just purchased a used Ford 951 5' rotary cutter for my T1530... A little undersized, but I couldn't beat the price for a quick way to clear a few acres of weeds.

I had success for about 30 minutes, but then I noticed a high-pitched ringing (or alarm, my high pitch hearing ability is fading) coming from the tractor while the PTO was engaged.

I idled down the tractor, and as soon as I disengaged the PTO (Live PTO on a hydrostatic drive transmission) the noise ceased.

When I re-engaged the PTO via the lever, I idled up the tractor and the noise came back at about 2,000 RPM engine speed, just shy of 500 PTO RPM. If I lifted the 3-point hitch, the noise would stop as well, but as soon as the implement had finished raising, the noise would come back.

I certainly hope I'm not burning out any integral part of my NH, as it's just shy of 150 operating hours. I'm not sure if this is a hydraulic pressure alarm, either, though I don't think it is as there are no additional warnings that light up on the dash. I'm currently on hold with the dealer.

Any mechanics out there that can lend any assistance? Thanks very much.

-Joe
BlueBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 PM   post #2 of 4
BlueBoomer

MTF Member # 59481
Default Re: T1530 PTO Noise?!?

I isolated the source of the noise... Hydraulic pump. This is the first time I've pushed the PTO and tractor at 540 since I've bought it. Maybe just a valve that hasn't had that much use yet?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 PM   post #3 of 4
Larry from MT
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 44441

Not trying to be a smart aleck ---- You checked the fluid level, right?
McCormick Deering 15-30
Larry from MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 AM   post #4 of 4
BlueBoomer

MTF Member # 59481

Hahah yes I did, and the levels are fine. The noise subsided, and I called my NH dealer with the same question. It was the first time I've really pushed the PTO to 540 RPM, as every other time I've used it has been with my Woods PHD. He could be very, very wrong, but it seems the Boomer Series will make a variety of noises until it has been completely broken in, and that's the first time the hydraulic pump has pushed that much fluid at once. It's definitely a valve, but has not made the noise since.

I'll keep a close eye on it, but the tractor's vitals seem to check out just fine. Welding some hooks on the bucket today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.