Grease warning questions.... - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Lubrication and Filters The slick stuff we all use

Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM   post #1 of 10
littletractorguy
The Mod from... Nowhere!

MTF Member # 36339
Garage
Default Grease warning questions....

Okay, so, my $5.00 mini grease gun bit the dust, so I went out and bought a "real" one, and its raised some questions for me....

First of all, the tube of grease I bought has this warning on it:

"Do not mix greases of different soap types. Thoroughly remove old grease before applying".

Okay, so, I understand the part about what they WANT you to do, start with new grease on whatever you're greasing. But what the heck is a soap type? And, how do I tell what soap type my OLD grease was, since I don't think I have the tube any more... More importantly, how the heck am I going to remove all the grease that are in the bearing keepers on my trailer!?!?

Okay, now onto some other questions!

What the heck is THIS button for? Pressure release? Bleed valve?

And this fitting? Would this be for filling the little gun if I had a big pressure tank filled with grease?

littletractorguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM   post #2 of 10
SonnyT
Hoosier Born & Raised!

MTF Member # 21893
Garage
Default Re: Grease warning questions....

Chances are your old grease was a Lithium based soap grease. Meaning it has some soap in it. I would make sure your new grease is Lithium based. Should say on the label.
1st button is to bleed air as you tighten gun/tube together after putting in a new cartridge so it doesn't get air locked.
2nd is for filling from a air powered grease pot. Never used it so I don't know if it actually works well or not.

SonnyT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 02:37 PM   post #3 of 10
SonnyT
Hoosier Born & Raised!

MTF Member # 21893
Garage

Here is a pdf with a compatability chart. Although the chances are your grease is probably a Lithium based grease, which is most common for off-the-shelf grease.
http://www.mobilindustrial.com/IND/E...patibility.pdf

SonnyT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 PM   post #4 of 10
flhusa1
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 9533

that second fitting is for refilling the gun without a cartridge. usually from a five gallon container with a hand pump on top. you slip the fitting into the pump female and as you pump the lever on your gun will extend out. the first fitting is a valve for air bound problems. i used a grease gun[s] for over ten years 40 hrs a week.
flhusa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 PM   post #5 of 10
Canawler
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 32205

And they're not kidding about the grease incompatibility. Mix the wrong types and it will almost literally turn to a watery mess.

It's only money, you make more every day.
'74 Agway/MTD 990
'93 Troy-bilt GTX18
'74 Allis Chalmers Homesteader 8 (X2)
?? Simplicity Broadmoor 717
?? Pennsylvania Meteor 1010
Canawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM   post #6 of 10
MacLawn
外人Geezer MTF Member

MTF Member # 6284

Wow, Little, great questions!! I never knew that about soap in grease, and it turning to a watery mess if mixed. Makes me wonder how much stuff I have messed up over the years. Of course, all the grease I bought was just from local stores, Walmart, etc., so I guess it was the lithium type... I have got to get a good grease gun!
Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...

"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim

http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=780993&stc=1&d=1398926  159
MacLawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 02:52 PM   post #7 of 10
littletractorguy
The Mod from... Nowhere!

MTF Member # 36339
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLawn View Post
Wow, Little, great questions!! I never knew that about soap in grease, and it turning to a watery mess if mixed. Makes me wonder how much stuff I have messed up over the years. Of course, all the grease I bought was just from local stores, Walmart, etc., so I guess it was the lithium type... I have got to get a good grease gun!
You know, I got so nervous about mixing the greases, I never re-lubed the bearing buddies on my little trailer.... BUT I've made a 500 km round trip AND a 1000 km round trip with it now, and the hubs never even got warm.... So I'm gonna assume they were still well-lubed.... NOW I'll check it out, now that I have time...
littletractorguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 AM   post #8 of 10
RustyPiston
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 76212

And just to further muddy things up.... not all online grease compatibility charts are in 100% agreement.
Also be aware that there are 3 types of lithium-based grease, Lithium, Lithium 12 Hydroxy, and Lithium Complex. While those 3 seem to be compatible with each other, ( according to the compatibilty charts I've seen), the Lithium Complex is compatible with the greatest number of other based type greases.
Bottom line--- If you find a grease that works well, stick with it. If you change the type or brand your using, keep a close watch on it for awhile. The internet is loaded with horror stories of people changing the brand of grease they use, grease runs out and bearing failure soon follows. It's rarely the fault of the grease if used for the applications it was designed for. It's a compatibility issue.
RustyPiston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 05:16 PM   post #9 of 10
ShelbyGT550
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 62377

Guess you learn something everyday, Never knew grease had compatability issues. hmmm
1996 Sears GT6000 - Backup Machine - Kohler Command 22HP Twin - 6 Speed Hi/Low - 42" Mower Deck - 42" Dual Stage Blower - Brush Guard - ATV Tires - Chains & Weights
1974 John Deere 112
(Parts)
197? John Deere 112 Electric Lift - Storage - 12HP Kohler K301- 4 Speed Manual - Turf Tires
Past Machines & To-do's - 1974 Snapper LT16 - 1989 Murray GT18/46 - 1970 Massey Ferguson 10 - 2004 John Deere LA100- WIP
ShelbyGT550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 PM   post #10 of 10
mla2ofus
Old Stonebreaker

MTF Member # 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhusa1 View Post
that second fitting is for refilling the gun without a cartridge. usually from a five gallon container with a hand pump on top. you slip the fitting into the pump female and as you pump the lever on your gun will extend out. the first fitting is a valve for air bound problems. i used a grease gun[s] for over ten years 40 hrs a week.
And if you want to change to bulk fill you have to remove the piston and flip the rubber over so the cup side is toward the grease. You also need to lock the follower rod in the piston and fill 'til the notch in the rod shows, NO FURTHER or you will get grease forced past the piston. I used grease guns most every day at work for 32 yrs.
Mike
mla2ofus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.