Lets see them welds!!! - Page 114 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 AM   post #1696 of 1772
marlboro180
Loving Life :-)

MTF Member # 37397
Garage
Default Re: Lets see them welds!!!

Guys, I am soooo happy, I had an epiphany, well, that is hardly the right word , but you know what I mean.

I was welding some bosses onto my bike trailer tonight, and I realized I was doing everytihing backward for GTAW. I was bringing the torch toward me , and touching the rod into the front of the puddle.

Well, I went the other way , torch away, and bringing the the rod in from the backside into the puddles, sweeping back to grab the rod to puddle it.

OMG, what a difference. This is a gamechanger for me, I can see the stacks of dimes in my future.

BTW, this was on 1/4 " plate, to 3/16 plate. 3/ 32 E, 1/16 rod. Setup kinda like open root, but on slight lands.

I feel so much better with my future with DC TIG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8109.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	203339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8124.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	203340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8128.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	203341   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8125.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	203342  

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2012/05/0...d-horticulture
marlboro180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 AM   post #1697 of 1772
wilber
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 49462

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboro180 View Post
Guys, I am soooo happy, I had an epiphany, well, that is hardly the right word , but you know what I mean.

I was welding some bosses onto my bike trailer tonight, and I realized I was doing everytihing backward for GTAW. I was bringing the torch toward me , and touching the rod into the front of the puddle.

Well, I went the other way , torch away, and bringing the the rod in from the backside into the puddles, sweeping back to grab the rod to puddle it.

OMG, what a difference. This is a gamechanger for me, I can see the stacks of dimes in my future.

BTW, this was on 1/4 " plate, to 3/16 plate. 3/ 32 E, 1/16 rod. Setup kinda like open root, but on slight lands.

I feel so much better with my future with DC TIG.

Pushing the weld is the appropriate way .Puddle in front of torch adding filler as you go.,not pulling the weld with filler behind the torch..You have switched to the wrong technique. Go to the miller site and download the tig hand book and study up. Begin with torch at a 70 deg angle and filler at 20 deg angle.Other angles work this is a starting point.

W

Last edited by wilber; 03-15-2012 at 12:24 AM.
wilber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 12:28 AM   post #1698 of 1772
wilber
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 49462

More info. http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...um-Ron-Covell/

Read item #4

W
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2012, 01:07 AM   post #1699 of 1772
marlboro180

MTF Member # 37397
Garage

I had an awesome post built up, but a gnat got on my touchscreen. LOL

Basically, will do , thanks for straightening me up, as I did a few more tonight, ( the wrong way ) and they leave a nice high build overpass to blend out. This could be handy at times though.

Thank you .

Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 AM   post #1700 of 1772
wilber
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 49462

Quote:
I had an awesome post built up, but a gnat got on my touchscreen. LOL

Basically, will do , thanks for straightening me up, as I did a few more tonight, ( the wrong way ) and they leave a nice high build overpass to blend out. This could be handy at times though.

Thank you .

"Good" keep on going.There is no need to blend any tig weld.Post some pic's of your welds and perhaps we can do some coaching for you.

You are blending because you don't like the appearance of the weld?

W
Old 03-15-2012, 06:10 PM   post #1701 of 1772
marlboro180

MTF Member # 37397
Garage

Sometimes I do architectural stuff, so yes a fill and blend is required or desired and MIG is just too sloppy sometimes, plus I dislike using filler. I have a thread in here somewhere about my crazy staircase I built, and the desire to TIG really comes from that . Railings, stair parts , whatever, sometimes just want to be smooth, ya know?

This is the link to the staircase below
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=184065

^^^
The stair ballusters are just fluxed in , and need to be done for real, with the TIG. This is the main reason I am pursuing this process, but want to learn it right.

Here is a link to a post I did a railing at the house here. Blended piece , MIG.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=160864

I have a few pics up of my TIG welds in this thread, maybe I'll settle in later and consolidate a few. Coaching would be great, I sure could use it.

Funny thing is a job I am on now, there are TIG welds everwhere, and I stop to admire the workmanship quite often :-) You can tell the weld from the new guy vs the old hand in a heartbeat.

Quote:
4. When TIG welding, always use the push technique - pushing the torch ahead of the weld puddle. Pushing offers you a better view of the weld puddle, provides good gas coverage of the weld, and ensures that oxides have been removed when using alternating current, as you will when welding aluminum.
Thanks for that link, very helpful. Out to the shop to pass some more gas :-0 pics to follow.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 PM   post #1702 of 1772
RedOctobyr
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33934

I've been continuing to practice since my last post. I also bought a 20 lb tank of CO2 last week, so I was able to change from flux core, to MIG. That's been a big help so far

It was a bit of an adjustment at fist, but I'm getting more used to MIG. The arc seems easier to control, the weld beads are smoother, there is *very* little spatter, and there's no appreciable smoke or mess, vs flux core. It's not as hot, so I'm using C or D voltage for things that used A or B, with flux core. That reduces my max thickness, but I get better results on the thinner materials. And I can go back to flux core for thicker stuff, if needed. I'm also getting less burn-through with MIG.

I tried making a little enclosed box. I had made one or two smaller ones with flux wire, using steel that already had a bend, for the side walls. So on those, I had kind of a head start. I did fill those half with water, and weld them shut, though, so that was kind of cool You can hear the water when you shake them.

This one is made just from flat rectangles. The steel is 0.091" thick, I'm using 0.023" wire, pushing the gun. I set the machine to 3.5 wire, B voltage. Lower settings than it recommended, but I was lining up the "inside" corners at the joints, so the weld could have more easily burned through, which I wanted to avoid. I like how it came out. Some of the welds are better than others. Unfortunately, some of the less-bad welds are on the back side, in the first picture. I wanted to do each weld in just 1 pass, but I had trouble in a few areas, and had to go back and add little "touch up" beads. I deliberately did not grind anything down, to leave it the way I made it. I sealed a 5/16 nut inside, for fun. The box is about 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.7".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	205355   Click image for larger version

Name:	End.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	205356  
RedOctobyr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 10:22 AM   post #1703 of 1772
marlboro180

MTF Member # 37397
Garage

Now that's a baby rattle! I wold sooooo want to know what was in there if you had not mentioned what it is LOL

So, the inside corners of your plates- Did you have them touching or open just a touch? ( open root) It takes a while to learn to weld that up, the puddle will be just on the verge of dripping away, then you move the puddle over and move along.

Looking much better though-- and practice practice practice- you are on the right track.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 PM   post #1704 of 1772
RedOctobyr
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33934

Thanks. I tried to have the inside corners touching. In a few places there was a small gap, but I did my best to clamp them so they were touching. Lining up the inside corners was trickier than having the two plates really up against each other. But it made a small "pocket" for the weld to sit in, so I was hoping that would help them look a bit better (not sticking out as far).

I haven't intentionally tried any open-root type stuff. I'm still trying to get the hang of the basics Then will come trying to go vertically, etc.
RedOctobyr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 PM   post #1705 of 1772
marlboro180

MTF Member # 37397
Garage

Good man ^^^ Basics first - I am not 30 year welder by any means, but I git er done, and practice is the key.

Got some more GTAW in, DC, 70 ish amps. Working on Piglet- my bike trailer bosses. Pic 1, and two. Two looks like it has undercut.... Good thing it is just in compression LOL

Tell me what I can do better TIG guys please! ( well, practice- I know LOL
) Schedule 40 pipe to 12 gauge square tube.

Anyone else ever use Chemsharp for yer tungstens? WOW! Easy peasy.Glad I found that!

Last pic- open root Gmaw. I think it looks pretty pretty good- I just had to throw that in there, prolly just to make myself feel better LOL !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8193.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	205758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8195.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	205759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steel work DGM (123).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	205760  

Last edited by marlboro180; 03-29-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 PM   post #1706 of 1772
wilber
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 49462

This is what you need for sharpening.Threw out chemical years ago its for tig newbies.Learn how to grind .A $500.00 tungsten grinder uses a 300 grit diamond wheel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUTW-6-x-1-x...item3f15af11d3

Put it on your grinder turn grinder around on your bench so top of wheel is turning away from you.This will prevent the tungsten from being aimed at you if you slip it will pull it away from you.Keep it dedicated for tungsten and you will sharpen for years to come. The chemical works but is clumsy to use and slow.This will be way easier to use.And much quicker.Gives you way more control of the grind angle.
My2 bin there done that.

W
Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 PM   post #1707 of 1772
4x4_Welder
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 45875

I sharpen my tungstens on a fine grinding wheel, slowly rotating and with the tip into the wheel so there isn't a burr on the end. Having any grinding marks inline with the tungsten makes the arc more stable and predictable. I also polish them a bit with the wire wheel too.
Here's some welding on my gooseneck, 3/32 stick in vertical and horizontal.
Merry Tiller
Too many parts mowers
4x4_Welder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 01:19 PM   post #1708 of 1772
marlboro180

MTF Member # 37397
Garage

Wilber- I have a few spare motors laying about that I could dedicate to a diaomand wheel like you shared. I'll see if the weld supply shop has that wheel this coming week. I just thought the ChemSharp was cool- like magic! Heat up the Tungsten to cherry red, dip it in the salts a few times, wire brush off the residue, and good to go. Real sharp.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 AM   post #1709 of 1772
wilber
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 49462

Quote:
Wilber- I have a few spare motors laying about that I could dedicate to a diaomand wheel like you shared. I'll see if the weld supply shop has that wheel this coming week. I just thought the ChemSharp was cool- like magic! Heat up the Tungsten to cherry red, dip it in the salts a few times, wire brush off the residue, and good to go. Real sharp.
The lws won't even have a clue what you want.They will look at you like a deer in the headlights and want to sell you a 500.00 tungsten grinder.Just buy it from flee bay.

W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 PM   post #1710 of 1772
Rog02
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 47441

Yeah Chem Sharp works but, WHY spend the bucks?

Here is what I use to sharpen tungsten and it cost me less than the diamond wheel that Wilber uses.

http://www.harborfreight.com/replace...ner-98862.html

Toss the emery wheel in the drawer for some other project (emery contaminates tungsten as does aluminum oxide) and mount the diamond wheel on any bench grinder.

For proof of concept I first just mounted it against the wheel on the grinder using the shaft adapter bushing to center it up and it worked great. Since I wanted a dedicated tungsten grinder that is used for nothing else, I decided to turn a delrin shaft adapter that has the correct bore for the grinder shaft and a shoulder to center the arbor hole in the diamond stone. Sorry, no pics of that yet.

Since the grinder was a dumpster find that just needed a cord replaced (discarded computer cords are great for this sort of stuff) and the delrin was an end cut that an acquaintance gives me for such projects, my total cost for this thing is about $11 USD (tax included).

Just another way to skin a door!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.