Digital pictures from a print? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Photography Pics spice up the forum. Cameras, use and reviews

Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 AM   post #1 of 16
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439
Default Digital pictures from a print?

How do you take pictures of an old print? I would have to dig and dig to find the negative to my new avator of my 79 Mustang Indy Pace Car which was my first car. I put the print in a picture frame and took a picture of it with my Canon Powershot SD1300IS. It was hard to keep reflections and lights from ending up in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1762.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	205402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	205403  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVFE02NTgU Pictured:79 Mustang Pace car 5.0 4sp I sold in 1990. All Toro: 520xi, 2x 266-H. Selling: Briggs Intek 24hp oil pan, Sears 4ws hydro transaxle, Sabre BM 19920 NOS sleeve hitch, parting Toro 117 Groundsmaster & WH C-175. Wanted: WH or Toro 42" rear discharge mower deck.
Boyd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 12:15 AM   post #2 of 16
littletractorguy
The Mod from... Nowhere!

MTF Member # 36339
Garage
Default Re: Digital pictures from a print?

The "professional" way would be a copy stand... Basically a post you can mount your camera on using the tripod mount, two lights mounted on either side at 45 degrees, your work flat on the bottom, covered with a piece of matte glass if it has a tendency to curl or if its a shiny print....

Here's an example of one...

There's simpler ways to do it, involving things like (for example) a music stand, two gooseneck lamps and a tripod... The important thing is to make sure that your camera is bang-on aligned with your copy, so that its squared up properly. Small pieces of matte glass can probably still be purchased from photographic places or glass suppliers.

I'm sure some of the creative minds on here can come up with other ways to build something like this, probably involving MAPP torches and/or welding something to something else...

Last edited by littletractorguy; 03-27-2012 at 12:21 AM.
littletractorguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 AM   post #3 of 16
RTG53
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 38420

How about a flatbed scanner? Worked for me.
RTG53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 09:29 AM   post #4 of 16
APinNY
I didn't do it!

MTF Member # 22011

I've also used a scanner to digitize several old photos. You can then run them through a Photoshop type program to touch them up. It works very well.

Kubota BX1860, 48" fine cut mulching MMM, FEL, snow thrower, cab
TroyBilt LTX 15.5, snow thrower, cab (sold)
TroyBilt LTX 13, (given away)
Craftsman DYT 4000 Special Edition, 21 HP Briggs Twin (sold)
DR Lawn Vacuum. Review here
1978 Craftsman 7 1/2 HP snow blower (backup machine-never use it)

"You will find out what that extra part is for as soon as you throw it away"
APinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 AM   post #5 of 16
littletractorguy
The Mod from... Nowhere!

MTF Member # 36339
Garage

Okay, ya, I SUPPOSE you could use a flatbed scanner...

Copy stand looks cooler tho....

Probably NOT cheaper than buying a $99 FBS
Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 AM   post #6 of 16
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439

No $$ for a flatbed scanner right now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVFE02NTgU Pictured:79 Mustang Pace car 5.0 4sp I sold in 1990. All Toro: 520xi, 2x 266-H. Selling: Briggs Intek 24hp oil pan, Sears 4ws hydro transaxle, Sabre BM 19920 NOS sleeve hitch, parting Toro 117 Groundsmaster & WH C-175. Wanted: WH or Toro 42" rear discharge mower deck.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 AM   post #7 of 16
littletractorguy
The Mod from... Nowhere!

MTF Member # 36339
Garage

Tripod and music stand and gooseneck lamps it is, then... I could keep an eye out for a flatbed scanner for ya, if you want, Boyd... every once in a while a free one passes my way... Although shipping it would probably cost more than buying a new one....
Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 PM   post #8 of 16
Canawler
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 32205

Take your picture and a flash drive for the digital file to Office Max or Staples and have them scan it for you.

It's only money, you make more every day.
'74 Agway/MTD 990
'93 Troy-bilt GTX18
'74 Allis Chalmers Homesteader 8 (X2)
?? Simplicity Broadmoor 717
?? Pennsylvania Meteor 1010
Canawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 12:57 AM   post #9 of 16
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439

That sounds like a great idea. I have a small collection of pictures of that 79 Mustang Indy Pace car. It was my first car. I often hand washed it on sundays then would go to take pictures of it at different locations. There were a few monday mornings in the winter time that the doors would be frozen shut from washing it but the hatch would always open. I'm sure it looked odd to the neighbors to see me open the hatch and crawl in that way to go to work. The car warmed up enough for full blast hot air about 1-1/2 miles from home. That 302 sure would put out a lot of heat in the winter and run a bit too hot in the summer.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 AM   post #10 of 16
WNYTractorTinkerer
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 26264
Garage
Icon2 Re: Digital pictures from a print?

I bought an HP Photosmart printer that also has a scanner and have scanned/digitized tons of pictures with it.. Save the gas on the trips to the store & buy one like it.. So your first car was in '79.. Hmmm showin yer age! 49 huh?

BTW- What engine was in the 'stang?
WNYTractorTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 AM   post #11 of 16
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTractorTinkerer View Post
I bought an HP Photosmart printer that also has a scanner and have scanned/digitized tons of pictures with it.. Save the gas on the trips to the store & buy one like it.. So your first car was in '79.. Hmmm showin yer age! 49 huh?

BTW- What engine was in the 'stang?
I'm 45. Mustang was from the factory 302 + 4 speed. I think there were only about 3500 with the 302 in them, less of them were 4 speed. Total production was 10,478. For its time it was quite a quick car. It was a bit much for me for my first car & buying it at the age of 19=trouble. The only options on it beyond the Pace Car edition was HD battery and rear defrost. I bought it Aug of 87 with 62,000 and sold it Mar of 90 with 79,500 miles. That car sure got a lot of attention. The first owner raced it in the SCCA Showroom Stock series in MN and WI in 80 & 81. It once had a 4 point roll cage. I was the 3rd owner. It went to a family in Omaha Nebraska that already had six 79 Mustand Indy Pace cars. About a year after I sold it I bought another one just like it that needed work. I didn't have the $$ to fix it up so I sold it too.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:14 AM   post #12 of 16
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439

The local Cub Foods grocery store has a big Kodac scanner/printer system so that I can put my old prints on to a CD. I will see if I can do that monday and then post a better version of the same pictures.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:34 AM   post #13 of 16
WNYTractorTinkerer
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 26264
Garage
Icon2 Re: Digital pictures from a print?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
The local Cub Foods grocery store has a big Kodac scanner/printer system so that I can put my old prints on to a CD. I will see if I can do that monday and then post a better version of the same pictures.
This is like the one I have:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6361401&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_ o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CN6IydDEla8CFYsntAodoHk9Uw

You can take an SD memory card or just about any other type of card and scan it on the flatbed to there. (you can increase the scanning density as well so you have a higher quality print) Also you can just save it to your computer and use an editing program (such as photoshop if you have it or Windows Live photo gallery if you have Windows 7) will let you tweek brightness or color temperature... Then you can save it and print it anywhere you would like once it's digitized. Once you understand computer storage file systems and picture formats you can handle it easily! I'll bet you wish you still had that stang!!
WNYTractorTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 02:53 AM   post #14 of 16
Michael
Retired Mod

MTF Member # 21

I am in the process of converting all the pictures to digital that my wife and I have taken over the last 38 plus years and 350 slides that my father had taken going back to the early 1950's. I ended up buying a Epson Perfection V500 Photo Flatbed scanner. In this picture I have was taken at Christmas 1960 and it was from a slide that my father had taken at Christmas in Bettendorf, Iowa. By the way that is my mother that is standing next to the christmas decoration.

A dedicated flatbed scanner was the only affordable way for me to get these pictures digital. I have just over 6,000 pictures that I have scanned and I still have a couple more medium sized boxes to still do. I would estimate at least 10,000 pictures. This scanner only cost slightly more then a regular scanner. One thing is if really want to save some money and keep your eyes open on Craigslist for a all in one scanner-printer as it will do also. These can be had for around $20-30.00. Just make sure that the CD is included or you can go to the device makers website and download the drivers there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img747.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	206222  

Last edited by Michael; 04-02-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 05:55 AM   post #15 of 16
Kbeitz
Collector of many tractors

MTF Member # 86

You wont find one cheaper than this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Model-V...item2ebb9ccb31

Kbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.