Gun safe...got one? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Shooting sports If it shoots, and it can be used in any sort of a sport... lets discuss it here....

Old 03-21-2012, 03:36 PM   post #1 of 22
dyt4000
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 109
Default Gun safe...got one?

Looking into getting a gun safe...preferably fireproof. Which one did you buy? What was the deciding factor? Post pics if you are willing or able...Thanks!
dyt4000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 PM   post #2 of 22
Tencubed
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 31735
Default Re: Gun safe...got one?

After looking at a lot of safes I came to the conclusion that they were not large enough or two dang heavy to put anywhere reasonable in the house.

I opted for building a strong room using cross hatched 2" thick tongue and grove flooring on the walls and ceiling. Cement floor and two layers of 5/8" fire rated sheetrock on the inside and outside of the walls and ceiling give reasonable fire protection. A strong door with hidden latching system completed the construction part of the project.

Ducting for the AC, heat and dehumidifier were constructed to prevent the entrance of fire or bad guys. Fire stopping drop doors in the ducting and barred areas get the job done. Penetrations for electrical was limited to one incoming wire. All wiring in the room is surface mounted and in conduit.

Cost ended up being less than the heavy safes I'd have needed and I have a room that has a fire rating comparable to the safes as well.

It's a workable option you might want to consider if you have the space available. It's nice to be able to do my gun hobby in a very secure area. Very few people are privy to this room, makes it much safer when neighbor kids come to visit our grandsons.

Mike
Old 03-21-2012, 05:27 PM   post #3 of 22
Juggler
Silent, Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 65

In the spirit of Tencubeds' idea, a friend of mine built a false wall in the back of a deep closet. He keeps a fair amount of firearms there and feels safe and secure with it. Beats my wooden cabinet with a glass door!

"Jim"
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 09:58 PM   post #4 of 22
hamman
HAMMAN

MTF Member # 46389
Garage

I was researching them. If I were to buy one it would be by Century out of Salt Lake City UT.. They are made in america and are warranted for life for fire and breakin. Look them up on the web. They have a couple of very interesting videos.
hamman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 PM   post #5 of 22
Larry from MT
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 44441

I've got two. Both are Liberty. Great safes. They weigh over 650 pounds empty. Fire protection is about 90 minutes.

The push button combinations are NOT recommended by the pros. A dial is much more reliable.
McCormick Deering 15-30
Larry from MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 AM   post #6 of 22
Jere39
Have Dog - Will Travel

MTF Member # 47088

I bought one 25 years ago. I bought it at a sporting goods store, it is not fire proof. I did lag bolt it through the wall into studs in the back of a closet. It uses a pair of keys rather than a combination. A determined interloper with a reasonably long wrecking bar and enough time could probably dislodge it from the wall, and carry it out of my house with a helper. Given a little more time, they might even be able to pick the locks, or drill and sawzall their way through it.

But, I bought it primarily to provide the security needed as one's 4 year old son becomes more and more interested in every thing dad does. That was over 20 years ago, and in that time my son learned to respect and use guns, he has long since learned where the keys are kept, but now that it is installed, it protects my guns from visiting children, and the unlikely visit by a quick break-in. My small collection is primarily common enough hunting guns; revolvers, rifles, and shotguns. I need them secure, but none are irreplaceable.

Not sure you are interested in this type, but I could take a picture and post it if you are.

Jere39 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 AM   post #7 of 22
hamman
HAMMAN

MTF Member # 46389
Garage

Having a gun safe that is not secured in some fashion is defeating the purpose. Given the time line for burglaries from the FBI statistics, most burglaries have a duration of form 10 - 15 min., most less than 12min.. Most home gun safes have been affixed to the walls, floors, or both. This would make it very difficult for a burglar to have enough time to remove lagbolts, or other types of securing devices to be able to remove the gun safe. First they would have to enter the gun safe and then remove the lag bolts etc.. If they entered the safe they wouldn't need to take it away, just it's contents. When I purchase one it will only after considerable research. Fire rating and breakin accessibility are big things to look at.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:12 AM   post #8 of 22
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencubed View Post
After looking at a lot of safes I came to the conclusion that they were not large enough or two dang heavy to put anywhere reasonable in the house.

I opted for building a strong room using cross hatched 2" thick tongue and grove flooring on the walls and ceiling. Cement floor and two layers of 5/8" fire rated sheetrock on the inside and outside of the walls and ceiling give reasonable fire protection. A strong door with hidden latching system completed the construction part of the project.

Ducting for the AC, heat and dehumidifier were constructed to prevent the entrance of fire or bad guys. Fire stopping drop doors in the ducting and barred areas get the job done. Penetrations for electrical was limited to one incoming wire. All wiring in the room is surface mounted and in conduit.

Cost ended up being less than the heavy safes I'd have needed and I have a room that has a fire rating comparable to the safes as well.

It's a workable option you might want to consider if you have the space available. It's nice to be able to do my gun hobby in a very secure area. Very few people are privy to this room, makes it much safer when neighbor kids come to visit our grandsons.

Mike
Thats a GREAT idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere39 View Post
I bought one 25 years ago. I bought it at a sporting goods store, it is not fire proof. I did lag bolt it through the wall into studs in the back of a closet. It uses a pair of keys rather than a combination. A determined interloper with a reasonably long wrecking bar and enough time could probably dislodge it from the wall, and carry it out of my house with a helper. Given a little more time, they might even be able to pick the locks, or drill and sawzall their way through it.

But, I bought it primarily to provide the security needed as one's 4 year old son becomes more and more interested in every thing dad does. That was over 20 years ago, and in that time my son learned to respect and use guns, he has long since learned where the keys are kept, but now that it is installed, it protects my guns from visiting children, and the unlikely visit by a quick break-in. My small collection is primarily common enough hunting guns; revolvers, rifles, and shotguns. I need them secure, but none are irreplaceable.

Not sure you are interested in this type, but I could take a picture and post it if you are.

Thats about the needs I have, and I have been looking for. Most are WAY to big and heavy for where I want to put it.

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 11:08 AM   post #9 of 22
dyt4000
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 109

This is the one I purchased last night...it was a matter of features and what my budget could stand. I ended up getting it for around $325...

Cannon 14 gun fire safe
dyt4000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 01:41 PM   post #10 of 22
hamman
HAMMAN

MTF Member # 46389
Garage

Good safe, Great price.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:12 PM   post #11 of 22
ckill1
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19417

I have 2 Cannon safes & am very satisfied with them. They are the same model, purchased at TSC about 3 years apart. Don't forget to add a Golden Rod or some other form of dessication to protect against rust.
Also, for those of you who are considering a safe room, there's a company in Iowa called Zanotti that will sell you a safe door & frame that can be hung on two steel posts to make a room truly a safe room. Try www.zanottiarmor.com

CK

Simplicity Legacy with 60-in deck

White gt-2055 with 50-in deck & 54-in blade, 3pt.

Echo Trimmer

Stihl ms260
Stihl 0.28
Jonsered 801
ckill1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 08:21 PM   post #12 of 22
RAND81
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 48380

Ive found that when they say "14 gun safe" you cant actually put that many in there.
48" Blade
Sleeve hitch
Agri-fab box-blade
55 pound wheel weights plus tire chains
Ohio Steel utility tray
RAND81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 08:49 PM   post #13 of 22
tranks
Professional amateur!

MTF Member # 36078
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAND81 View Post
Ive found that when they say "14 gun safe" you cant actually put that many in there.
i think they are referring to pellet guns and only if the safe is laying on its back on the floor.

kidding aside, I've got a cheapo 10 gun safe (i'd call it a locker). its one of those less then $100 ones you get at a box store. but in reality, two guys with two big pry bars can get into most real gun safes in less then five minutes. so i figure you can only plan on keeping kids and law biding people from playing with your firearms. so really anything with a lock would work, fire resistance would be nice.

i was thinking about doubling a wall, so it'd be 6" deep inside and have two layers of fire resistant drywall and having a hidden door to access it. wouldn't hold a ton of guns but if you have 10 or so, you could probably squeeze them in and a single thick wall wouldn't stand out at all if you don't have the lay out for a whole hidden room.

building a steerable yard cart --- New video post #53

1971 John Deere 112--2000 New Holland LS55H
1985 John Deere 112L
tranks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 02:27 AM   post #14 of 22
chaosracing
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 56116

I have been researching these as well. My dad bought a Winchester one (Made by Cannon or vice versa) from gun dealer. TSC has the same ones and surprisingly they also come with a pretty good warranty from TSC. I forget what they were, but the stores have the brochures for it. TSC was also a few hundred dollars cheaper than the gun dealer, but the dealer delivered and placed the safe for my dad. If I buy the TSC one, I have to muscle it to where I want it.
Homebuilt Yard Vac
Trying to make a few attachments for it
chaosracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 04:44 PM   post #15 of 22
FORD_LGT_165
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 29335

I got a cheap one for my guns and an even cheaper one for my ammo

FORD_LGT_165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.