Bobcat CT235 too heavy? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 03-19-2012, 12:00 AM   post #1 of 20
Sleblanc
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70836
Default Bobcat CT235 too heavy?

Hey guys,

Been looking for a while at several tractor models, and I believe I'll pick the Bobcat CT235 tractor. Not sure what to expect though, as that thing is a whole lot heavier than anything I have at home.

Here's my setup: I have a somewhat large land, in a mountainous region. My house is located about 800 feet from the street, up a hill, at the end of a sinuous road. The road is bordered by a stream on one side, and a really steep hill that ends in a stream also on the other side (hence my need to use a front-mounted snowblower... driving backwards on that road would be suicide).

Now, I've been snowblowing my alleyway for 5 winters now, using my John Deere LA150 lawn tractor, with a belt-driven front mounted snowblower. I've been through one transmission (replaced under warranty) on the LA150, plus they've had to resolder the frame at the rear of the tractor about 2 months after replacing the transmission. Now, the whole snowblower needs to be replaced.

Now, I know the CT235 is more powerful, but I'm scared that it'll be so heavy it won't manage the climb along the road. I keep telling myself I'm wrong, as is the dealership, but there's this little voice in the back on my head that keeps on bugging me (it has already made me switch from the CT122 to the CT235 just in case the tractor ain't powerful enough).

Now, to all of you who have experience with these tractors, do you guys have any problems climbing hills using a front-mounted snowblower? Being that heavy, is there a risk that the tractor is going to rip out the road leading to my house, leaving me stranded.

Hope you guys can clear my mind. Thanks.

Last edited by Sleblanc; 03-19-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Title not clear enough
Sleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 PM   post #2 of 20
Sleblanc
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70836
Default Re: Bobcat CT235 too heavy?

Just an update on this.

The dealership offered to freely loan me the CT235 that I was thinking of buying, plus one of them will come to my home to show me how to use it, and evaluate the land to make sure that everything will be ok.

I'll let you all know how everything works. Hopefully, it'll convince me to keep it and enjoy it.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:00 PM   post #3 of 20
dkizerian
MTF Member

MTF Member # 60802

Tractor is showing 3055 lbs Plus anything you add... I still think this will weight about the same or less than even a 1/2 ton 2wd pickup. So unless your road is really bad, I don't think weight is an issue.
dkizerian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 06:48 PM   post #4 of 20
Sleblanc
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70836

The road isn't that bad, but my parking area at the top is not hard-packed, and no vehicule of mine so far is as heavy as that tractor. I'll find out this friday how the CT235 handles when the dealership brings it here.

Plus, I've decided that, regardless of the tractor make I choose, I'll get a box blade. That should help repair anything that could happen. Since I want the frond-end loader and the backhoe, I understand that pretty much anything out there that can have these two attachments will be heavier than my vehicules, so I might as well get what I want and deal with the damage afterwards... at least that's what I tell myself.

I'll let you guys know what I think of the tractor this week-end. With luck, it'll still be here on monday, and I'll be at the dealership signing papers.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 PM   post #5 of 20
dkizerian
MTF Member

MTF Member # 60802

Other think you can do to the parking area is just work on compacting it better this summer with the tractor. Just driving back and forth over it and back, and forth, and back and forth.... will help compact it. If you're getting a FEL then make sure the bucket is full when you're doing this, and add a rear attachment of some sort too to get the weight up...

Doing this through the summer should help ensure that it's compacted well for winter!

Enjoy your loaner tractor, I doubt you'll send it back.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 PM   post #6 of 20
Sleblanc
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70836

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkizerian View Post
Enjoy your loaner tractor, I doubt you'll send it back.
I doubt I'll send it back too. That's why I went and had a look at it again today, to make sure I liked what I saw.

I am planning on getting it with the 7TL FEL and the 7TB Backhoe, a front mounted 62" snowblower, a ballast box (so I don't always have to carry the backhoe), an Auger attachment and a boxed blade. That should pretty much cover all my needs for the upcoming summer and winter.

I have further plans for getting a rotary tiller attachment, but that ain't in the plans for at least two years. The wife's gonna have to keep relying on me using the small motorized one we have for the moment, or agree for the tractor budget to be increased..

Last edited by Sleblanc; 03-21-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Correcting spelling errrors.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM   post #7 of 20
dkizerian
MTF Member

MTF Member # 60802

So, have you sent it back, or have you just been using it every waking hour since you got it?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 PM   post #8 of 20
Sleblanc
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70836

Sorry about the late reply, I had the misfortune of being called away for a business contract that required me working on the week-end, so I had to postpone the trial, especially since I wanted to try the tractor with front-end loader and backhoe, and they didn't have the backhoe in stock.

They're bringing it tomorrow morning for that trial, with the backhoe I asked for. Since I have a 4 day week-end for Easter, that should give me enough time to test it. I also mentionned them to have the contract ready for Tuesday morning, so that if everything works fine on this end, I'll go and sign everything.

I'll give eneryone an update as I try it, and maybe find the time to post some pictures if I do indeed buy it.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 PM   post #9 of 20
Sleblanc
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70836

Okay, somehow, this thing actually looked smaller at the store.

Tried it around the yard, up and down the driveway. Didn't have much problems, didn't leave any noticeable marks anywhere, except at one place where I purposely left the road and wend to dump in a load of dirt into a hole. Left two nice sets of tire tracks, about an-inch deep. Will probably return to normal eventually.

Now, I have a question to all of you out there. I really am unfamiliar with PTO driven attachments. In the owner's manual, it says that one shouldn't drive the PTO above set speed (540 for rear, 2000 for mid). Now, the RPM engine throttle, is that related to the PTO? Do I need to somewhat try to set it at 540 RPM in order to use the attachment, or will the rear PTO lever, on the driver's left site, automatically set the speed to 540?

Forgot to ask the guy that came, and they'll be closed this week-end, and somehow can't find the information in the owner's manual.

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 PM   post #10 of 20
dkizerian
MTF Member

MTF Member # 60802

That's purty!

I believe PTO speed is dependent on engine speed. On my Kubota there is little dot on the Tachometer and "540" up about 2800RPM, I always thought this meant that at that engine speed I was getting approx 540RPM when engaged...

But I could be wrong, I often am.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:01 AM   post #11 of 20
Sleblanc
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70836

Ok, i finally found some information in the manual, but it is not helping. It says that for PTO speed, I need to set the engine throttle speed at the required RPM for the PTO. The problem is the tractor's throttle has it running at 900 RPM on idle, which by far exceeds the 540.

Now, on the throttle meter, it says PTO 1 - 540 RPM. I'm wondering, does that mean that I need to set throttle speed at 1540, giving the rear PTO it's 540 RPM, and keeping 1000 for the engine speed.

Luckily, I don't have any PTO driven equipment so far (they loaned it to me with the backhoe and the front-end loader), but I am planning on getting the Auger, which does run on the rear PTO.

Other than that, I tried the machine last night, to see if I'll need aditionnal lights when I get my snowblower, and so far I must say I am really impressed with the machine. Won't know for sure until I get the front snowblower in place to see if the headlights are blocked by it though.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 AM   post #12 of 20
dkizerian
MTF Member

MTF Member # 60802

1540 doesn't seem high enough... Probably best to just ask the dealer about it next week. I went through my manual last night out of curiousity, and would have had the same question if the guy that sold it to me hadn't explained.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM   post #13 of 20
Djdoxie
MTF Member

MTF Member # 56337

The PTO is geared down through the transmission. Look on the tach, you will see a red arrow at 2500 RPM. Running the engine at that speed will give 540 RPM at the rear PTO & 2000 RPM @ the mid-PTO for the snowblower. Idle the tractor down, push in the clutch, engage the PTO lever(s) and let out the clutch, then bring engine up to rated RPM. When using a post hole digger, keep the engine speed idled down. I run my digger @ 1100 -1200 RPM. My tractor is idenitical to this one except 27 HP engine.

The extra wieght of that tractor is going to give you better traction blowing snow.
Djdoxie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 10:41 AM   post #14 of 20
JDFANATIC
9K+ Poster

MTF Member # 41
Garage

Very nice! Congrats on your purchase.

JDFANATIC
JD2210, loaded tires, 62C MMM, 210 Loader, 47" Snowblower, York Rake, PTO Spreader, Heated Cab, JD Plug Aerator, FIMCO Sprayer, Wheel Spacers, FEMCO Folding ROPS, JD Cart, Stihl MS170 and HT101, Wallenstein BX32 PTO Chipper
JDFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 10:45 AM   post #15 of 20
Sleblanc
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdoxie View Post
Look on the tach, you will see a red arrow at 2500 RPM. Running the engine at that speed will give 540 RPM at the rear PTO & 2000 RPM @ the mid-PTO for the snowblower.
Thanks for the information.

I thought that red arrow meant I should not exceed that throttle speed when driving. Does this mean i can put it at full throttle without risking blowing the engine? (on a car, I know it ain't good to reach the red zone for the engine, which is why I figure it was the same for the tractor).

So as long as I don't exceed that red mark when activing any PTO (rear or mid), then I won't exceed recommended PTO rpm? Really don't want to break anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.