Installing 50K Solar at my Business - Page 3 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Alternative Energy Better ideas for a brighter future!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #31
tiretrx
Do Nothin' Admin

MTF Member # 13571
Default Re: Installing 50K Solar at my Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttractor View Post
Very, very cool! Thanks for all the info; even though it's still a little pricey on the initial outlay, a three-year horizon to recoup your investment is nothing almost.

What part of the country are you in? You mentioned that the state and local folks along with the installer worked very well together. It sounds like they have it pretty well figured out. I was just wondering where these enlightened folks are.
Our company is located in Suffolk County, Long Island, NY. My impression is the wheel hub is at the federal level. They supply the lion's share of the incentive. The outlay is sizable. For us the timing was right. It's something that I wanted to do for years, but till now the comfort level wasn't there. I do think if you have a healthy company, and have resources to reinvest, the returns, over time, are great. Plus, as we own the building, it's not a bad equity builder
tiretrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #32
doubleE
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 52410

You mentioned that the power is banked and you get credit when they need it. So how is the power banked? Do you mean it is stored?
doubleE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #33
tiretrx
Do Nothin' Admin

MTF Member # 13571

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleE View Post
You mentioned that the power is banked and you get credit when they need it. So how is the power banked? Do you mean it is stored?
Actually, it goes into the grid, and that amount is subtracted from what I use. So, instead of selling it to the local power company at a discount, I receive full value on my end for the power generated
Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #34
lima
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 34824

What happens when a storm knocks out power to your area, and the utility workers need to repair the broken transformers? Do you get notified to stop banking power to the grid to prevent killing the utility workers? How does the shutoff work?

BTW, thanks for sharing the info and pictures.
lima is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #35
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima View Post
What happens when a storm knocks out power to your area, and the utility workers need to repair the broken transformers? Do you get notified to stop banking power to the grid to prevent killing the utility workers? How does the shutoff work?

Good Q there. I would assume there is some sort of transfer switch,

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #36
tiretrx
Do Nothin' Admin

MTF Member # 13571

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima View Post

Hmmm, can't say I know what would happen in that scenario. As far as the shutoff, it's easy, one button on/off on the outside of the converter.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #37
Ken in NJ

MTF Member # 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrx View Post
Hmmm, can't say I know what would happen in that scenario. As far as the shutoff, it's easy, one button on/off on the outside of the converter.
I'm not 100% sure, and as you know I've seen and worked in your MDP (main distribution panel)

Your solar system is "smart" it will not back feed power into the grid without power coming off the grid. There is no way that the solar install would have been installed any other way. Unless you used some cheap fly by night company to install it.

CNC machine wiring ? Sure, fly by night companies are ok for that.
Ken in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #38
Texasclodhopper
Native Texan

MTF Member # 35881
Unhappy Re: Installing 50K Solar at my Business

Appropriately, the discussion of the "rebates" and incentives should include the fact that the money comes from funds that "we" have borrowed.

So, the fact that some folks can install such systems only makes it more difficult for the rest of us to afford to install them. It's a downward spiral that I wish I knew how to handle.

Kubota B3200HSD tractor, 32hp/23hp PTO ... LA504 front-end loader
LandPride RTR1050 rotary tiller reverse 50" ... Armstrong HD1618 disc plow 5'
Hustler FasTrak 54 zero-turn w/Honda 20hp ... Case IH 385 tractor w/box blade, 46hp (1989) {SOLD}
Texasclodhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #39
tiretrx
Do Nothin' Admin

MTF Member # 13571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in NJ View Post
I'm not 100% sure, and as you know I've seen and worked in your MDP (main distribution panel)

Your solar system is "smart" it will not back feed power into the grid without power coming off the grid. There is no way that the solar install would have been installed any other way. Unless you used some cheap fly by night company to install it.

CNC machine wiring ? Sure, fly by night companies are ok for that.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up, Ken The installers were contracted by the local power company. To my eyes, they did a fine job.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #40
marlboro180
Loving Life :-)

MTF Member # 37397
Garage

The local utility here requires an outside disconnect installed and notification to them that you have PV's. That way, they can come flip the disconnect, assuring no backfeeding of lines during a event like lines down or transformer work. This is beyond the " Smart" system internal switching like Ellis's system has- I know I am saying that wrong, but Ken can correct me LOL

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2012/05/0...d-horticulture
marlboro180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #41
Ken in NJ

MTF Member # 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboro180 View Post
The local utility here requires an outside disconnect installed and notification to them that you have PV's. That way, they can come flip the disconnect, assuring no backfeeding of lines during a event like lines down or transformer work. This is beyond the " Smart" system internal switching like Ellis's system has- I know I am saying that wrong, but Ken can correct me LOL
I'm not correcting you, cause I'm not 100% sure.

My guess is that there is a auto transfer switch that is fed from the outside power company feeds. And once the power goes off from that source, it either shuts down the solar system completely or won't allow the system to back feed out to the power lines.

If Ellis was given a company by the power co, I'm sure they did everything 100% rite. Which was most likely inspected by a PC engineer .

Ellis, were permits required for this project ? And if so was it inspected by a city, county or state inspector ?
Ken in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #42
tiretrx
Do Nothin' Admin

MTF Member # 13571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in NJ View Post
Ellis, were permits required for this project ? And if so was it inspected by a city, county or state inspector ?
Yes, and yes.

Also, there is an outside disconnect, as Brian mentioned.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #43
jdemaris
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingersoll444 View Post
OK, here is one for you... That 20% loss... does that go away as heat??
Inverters made for grid-tie setups have to make almost perfect sine-wave current. Any that I know of are rated 91%-96% efficient - i.e. there's 4%-9% loss that goes to heat. My house and farm are 100% on solar with twin Outback inverters.

I have no idea why this guy's system is supposed to have 20% loss. That's something I've never heard of. I've got three places on solar. Two have Outback inverters and the other an Xantrex/Trace inverter. 92%, 92% and 95% efficient.

In regard to power outages - the grid-tie inverters are required to be unable to work when they don't sense grid power. So, when the grid is down so is the solar power which seems a bit silly if someone buys it to be "prepared" and not dependent on the grid. The system at my house is custom designed with grid-tie and a backup battery bank. I can make it work when grid power is down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar barn.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	202103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverters 2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	202104   Click image for larger version

Name:	inverters close.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	202105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outback inverter .jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	202106  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xantrex.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	202107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunny Boy inverter.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	202108  
jdemaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #44
CRE1992
Wheel Horse Fan

MTF Member # 63877

Nice install. I am only 19, but I worked as a helper at the local IBEW Union Hall on a solar project this past summer before college started. This is a picture looking from the middle of the roof towards one of the ends of the building. The building was the size of 13 football fields. It was very labor intensive, especially because it was over 160 degrees on the roof for over 4 weeks straight. It was hot enough to fry an egg on the tar. If you stood in one spot without moving your feet for more than 2 minutes it started to melt the bottom of our boots. The panels we installed were connected by the same aluminum sub frame you used. Also this is only 1 of the 3 buildings we did at the industrial park.

CRE1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #45
marlboro180
Loving Life :-)

MTF Member # 37397
Garage

That's a lot of panels right there ^^^ CRE1992. Nice layout on them too.

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2012/05/0...d-horticulture
marlboro180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.