Small Quantity Fuel Storage - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 10-25-2006, 07:30 AM   post #1 of 13
Wingnut
Once was a Super Member

MTF Member # 75
Default Small Quantity Fuel Storage

Fuels are the most dangerous materials we handle on daily or at least a weekly basis.
I am leaning on making a small building for fuels and all my other nasty chemicals away from everything.

My Fuel Containers:
2 JerryCans for gasoline
1 Safety Can 5 gallon Diesel
2 Safety Cans that 1 gallon each used for 2 cycle oil mixed fuels 50:1 and 32:1

How do you store you fuel cans?

Mine are stored outside covered by a tarp on a trailer.
Attached Images

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong, because someday in life you will have been all of these.

Lose money while restoring a Farmall F-12 let me show you how!

CLICK HERE
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2006, 08:14 AM   post #2 of 13
Carl
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 249
Default Re: Small Quantity Fuel Storage

Well Wing, right now I just put them in my shed. I too have been thinking about building something separate to store my fuel in.

OSHA regs calls for fuel (flamable liquids) to be stored in a cabinet that is non-flamable, and with a sump for liquid leaks. I suppose that it would also be nice if the cabinet was air tight. The OSHA reg applies to industrial, not the homeowner. But security is always nice.

I have a metal garden shed that might work for me. I think that I can also chase up a metal storage cabinet. Either of these would work. Only where do I put them so they don't look out of place. If the cabinet is tight no worry about having it in the shed or the garage.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:31 AM   post #3 of 13
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Good thought Wing. I've got a 5 gallon can for the tractor and two 2 gallon containers for my other equipment that gets mixed with 2 cycle oil. Been storing it in my un-heated shed away from the house. Seems to work well for me and I don't have to worry about accidents that way.
Jim_WV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 AM   post #4 of 13
slipshod
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 17

Storing fuel always scares me. I will leave the cans outside in the weather rather then in the shop to burn the place down.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:38 AM   post #5 of 13
bblalocksr
haffast

MTF Member # 1112

Slip at work we have to store them in a locked ventilated metal box.

At home I have 2 5Gal plastic jugs for gas. 1 5gal plastic jug for diesel, and 2 2gal plastic jugs for 2cyl gas. These are all stored in the garage. I may make an outside container or something to store then in. I can smell gas fumes whenever the garage has been closed for a while. (Scares me)
bblalocksr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 11:06 AM   post #6 of 13
USN_ED
Old Fart

MTF Member # 49

As a rule, I store all of my fuel containers under the cover of my open pole-barn; however, there is little difference between storing a tractor full of gas or diesel inside an enclosed garage, shed, etc. and storing a separate gas can in the same enclosed space as the tractor. Makes little sense to store a tractor that is full to the brim with five gallons of gas in a shed but then be hesitant to store a gas can with one or two gallons of gas next to the same tractor.

The KEY to fuel handling/storage is to be aware of how you handle it and to have a safe/secure area to store it in whether inside or outside.

NEVER FORGET "The Battling Bastards of Bataan" !!! We owe them much.

MTD Yard Machines "GOLD"
Craftsman GT5000

**** MTF 5 Year Sponsor ****

Sears "Chevron Tires" SKU # 71-24167 (Two AG tires mounted on steel rims with valve stems).
USN_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 01:29 PM   post #7 of 13
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

i store 4 5-gallon cans of gas in my workshop. plus usually 1 can of diesel. i have a metal cabinet that i keep all my poisonous chemicals in, but the fuel cans sit in one corner of teh building. never really thought much about them until last night. i was working on my old craftsman which refused to crank. sprayed a little (ok TOO MUCH) ether in the carb and it backfired out the carb, thus igniting on the air filter. as i carried the burning air filter outside to extenguish it, i walked right over 2 cans with several gallons of gas in each. the cans are now moved outside, and i will be building a secured shelf for them this weekend.

at work we got dinged on afire inspection a few years back because we had several EMPTY gas cans sitting in the bay which is heated via a NG heater. we had to put them in a cabinet outside before they would give us our permit for the year. the inspector said that the empty cans with fumes in them was more explosive than if they all were full to the top with liquid gasoline. she was correct of course, but we did not think of that.
davidg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 07:14 PM   post #8 of 13
foxtower
foxtower

MTF Member # 2188

I store all flamable chemicals from acetone to xylene on shelves in the back of my small tractor shed. The shed has only tarps for doors so it is well ventilated and far away from the house.
foxtower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2006, 12:44 AM   post #9 of 13
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Screw OSHA! (and it's inbound equine transportation) I store up to 20 gal.s in winter to keep plenty on hand for gen and tractor. I like them under a small lean-to attached to my garage and enclosed by chain link gated fence. The other worst stuff I have to store is my collection of spent nuclear fuel pellets from the cat box but they are picked up weekly. I don't worry much about turps, MEK, toluene, tylenol, paint remover, benzene or polydentanol as I buy only quart cans and have never seen one self destruct yet. (Fifty years more of "Global Warming" and then I'll worry.
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2006, 11:16 AM   post #10 of 13
USN_ED
Old Fart

MTF Member # 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroHarold
Screw OSHA! (and it's inbound equine transportation) I store up to 20 gal.s in winter to keep plenty on hand for gen and tractor. I like them under a small lean-to attached to my garage and enclosed by chain link gated fence. The other worst stuff I have to store is my collection of spent nuclear fuel pellets from the cat box but they are picked up weekly. I don't worry much about turps, MEK, toluene, tylenol, paint remover, benzene or polydentanol as I buy only quart cans and have never seen one self destruct yet. (Fifty years more of "Global Warming" and then I'll worry.
Dang Harold!!!!! I'm with you. Screw OSHA and while were at it, screw "Global Warming" too. Of the two of them, OSHA is a far greater threat than "Global Warming".

Please be extremely careful when yer around those "spent nuclear fuel pellets from the cat box"!!!!!! Never strike a match around them and always stand clear of them.

NEVER FORGET "The Battling Bastards of Bataan" !!! We owe them much.

MTD Yard Machines "GOLD"
Craftsman GT5000

**** MTF 5 Year Sponsor ****

Sears "Chevron Tires" SKU # 71-24167 (Two AG tires mounted on steel rims with valve stems).
USN_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2006, 12:16 PM   post #11 of 13
JohnW
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1445
Garage

I have an old cross bed tool box that has a full opening lid that I keep my 4-5 gal cans in. It is located what I hope is just far enough away from my garage. During the winter I keep the tractors, trucks & generator filled completely up just in case.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:29 PM   post #12 of 13
NY Yankees Fan
MTF Member

MTF Member # 3902

The following is from NFPA 30, 2003 Flammable & Combustible Liquids Code.

3.3.25.2 Flammable Liquid. Any liquid that has a closed-cup flash point below 100F (37.8C), as determined by the test procedures and apparatus set forth in 1.7.4. Flammable liquids are classified as Class I as follows: Class I Liquid any liquid that has a closed-cup flash point below 100F (37.8C) and a Reid vapor pressure not exceeding 40 psia (2068.6 mm Hg) at 100F (37.8C), as determined by ASTM D 323, Standard Method of Test for Vapor Pressure of Petroleum Products (Reid Method). Class I liquids are further classified as follows: (1) Class IA liquids those liquids that have flash points below 73F (22.8C) and boiling points below 100F (37.8C); (2) Class IB liquids those liquids that have flash points below 73F (22.8C) and boiling points at or above 100F (37.8C); (3) Class IC liquids those liquids that have flash points at or above 73F (22.8C), but below 100F (37.8C).

3.3.25.1 Combustible Liquid. Any liquid that has a closed-cup flash point at or above 100F (37.8C), as determined by the test procedures and apparatus set forth in 1.7.4. Combustible liquids are classified as Class II or Class III as follows: (1) Class II Liquid any liquid that has a flash point at or above 100F (37.8C) and below 140F (60C); (2) Class IIIA any liquid that has a flash point at or above 140F (60C), but below 200F (93C); (3) Class IIIB any liquid that has a flash point at or above 200F (93C).

Here is what it says how much liquid you can have in your home.

6.5.3 Dwellings and Residential Buildings Containing Not More than Three Dwelling Units and Accompanying Attached and Detached Garages. Storage in excess of 95 L (25 gal) of Class I and Class II liquids combined shall be prohibited. In addition, storage in excess of 230 L (60 gal) of Class IIIA liquid shall be prohibited.

So you have a fire, your insurance company MAY not pay the claim based on the above. IF it is code in your town and IF the local FD in the fire investigations sites you for this violation.

Try to store flammables in metal safety cans like this

Safety Can

The can will open and relieve pressure and not explode. IF you must store inside then you can store the liquids in this per code.

6.3 Design, Construction, and Capacity of Storage Cabinets.

(3) Wooden cabinets constructed in the following manner shall be aceppable:
(a) The bottom, sides, and top shall be constructed of exterior grade plywood that is at least 25 mm (1 in.) thick and of a type that will not break down or delaminate under fire conditions.
(b) All joints shall be rabbetted and shall be fastened in two directions with wood screws. Where more than one door is used, there shall be a rabbetted overlap of not less than 25 mm (1 in.).
(c) Doors shall be equipped with a means of latching and hinges shall be constructed and mounted in such a manner as to not lose their holding capacity when subjected to fire exposure.
(d) A raised sill or pan capable of containing a 50 mm (2 in.) depth of liquid shall be provided at the bottom of the cabinet to retain spilled liquid within the cabinet.

6.3.5 Storage cabinets shall be marked in conspicuous lettering:
FLAMMABLE KEEP FIRE AWAY.
NY Yankees Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2006, 10:51 PM   post #13 of 13
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Yeah, THAT'S how I really do it! ROF
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.