Rear Mount Winch or Actuator for Snowblower Electric Lift - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 09-23-2011, 09:46 AM   post #1 of 4
britm3
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 30465
Default Rear Mount Winch or Actuator for Snowblower Electric Lift

I've seen quite a few of the older threads on winch setups for snowthrower attachments, and most of those seem to be on older machines, with more room to get a bracket on the front of the tractor to hold the winch etc.

I have a 2009 GT5000, with the Craftsman 42" snowblower attachment - no room for a winch on the front. I have contemplated mounting a winch on the rear and guiding the cable back up front to provide lift.

The linear actuator approach seems easier to accomplish, going on this example: Electric Lift

Any thoughts would be appreciated - I like the idea of some float also, which you don't get with the actuator unless you have the right slotted hole setup etc. Looking at this actuator.

On the 48" blade setup, there was plenty of room to get a standard 2000lb winch on the front bracket to lift the blade.

britm3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 09:59 AM   post #2 of 4
DocG
Just a Tinkerer

MTF Member # 20620
Garage
Default Re: Rear Mount Winch or Actuator for Snowblower Electric Lift

You might want to also check out this posting:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showth...t=72095&page=2
Old 09-24-2011, 12:44 AM   post #3 of 4
Toolin
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert

MTF Member # 18867

britm3,

I rigged up a winch to lift my snowblower attachment last season. I too had very little room up front (especially when the hood is lifted since it tips forward), so I actually ended up mounting the winch underneath the tractor by bolting it to the blower's separate undercarriage pulley assembly that attaches where the mowing deck usually goes, and used a few pulleys to route the winch cable up front where it rotates the blower's lift arm bracket like the manual lift handle used to do.

I used the ever-ubiquitous camo-painted remote-operated winch that Harbor Freight sells normally for $100 but often goes on sale for $50. I modified the control circuit to remove the wireless remote (which has a dangerous 1 second delay on both start *and* stop) and replace it with a simple SPDT toggle switch which provides instantaneous response.

Yes, using a cable to lift the blower does provide "float" behavior, but that's not always a picnic with a spool type device like a winch. Basically when the blower floats up over something, the cable goes slack, and due to the cable's stiffness it can sort of unwind itself on the winch spool a little bit and start to overlap it's windings, which can lead to some kinking of the cable next time it goes under tension. Because of this, my next modification to this design will be to put a tensioner on the cable to take up the slack produced when the blower floats and keep the windings nice and tight and orderly and non-overlapping.

I have a ton of pictures (and a few videos) but never got around to posting them. But here's a teaser...

Last edited by Toolin; 09-24-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Toolin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 01:29 PM   post #4 of 4
nd11
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 51986

Try an actuator its works great, you could attach it to a homemade brushguard. this worked for me. Search "snowblower conversion" for more pics of my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-10 128.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	179197  
nd11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.