John Deere 400 garden tractor? - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 06-14-2009, 09:15 PM   post #16 of 35
Alan in Vermont
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 18320
Default Re: John Deere 400 garden tractor?

Rabbit, the JD 20 was a bolt-on, I think the 400 was the only application for the 20.

CP7, the post hole digger is a Johnson/Arps and was the correct one for the 400. My personal opinion is that it turns way too fast, making me think it is just a 540 rpm model equipped with the correct PTO coupler for the 400 1"-15 spline output shaft.

I have worked the snot out of the 400, had it four years and I'm running about 150 hours a year. The first couple years didn't get all that much, it pulled a York rake in the summer and loaded salt in the winter. The last couple years it has been doing an increasing amount of tillage work. At the present it's dealing with around 2 acres of vegetable garden, either with a 12" Brinly plow or the 48", #35 Deere tiller. Working hard nobody will ever claim the flathead Kohlers are economy engines, this one will lap up about a gallon an hour.

I've been intimate with a couple other Deere garden tractors, a '64 110 and a '91 318. Both of them had ag tires and neither was particularly good in any sort of wet conditions. The 400 is packing 26x12.00-12 Swamp Witch ATV tires and the traction is amazing. I have had it in mud as deep as the front tires and it backed out. This spring I wallowed into a wet spot with the tiller and had to work out by pushing with the loader.

A loader will spoil you. I no longer strain to load compactors, generators or pumps and I'm loving it. I will even trailer the tractor to a job just to have it there for material and tool handling duties.
Alan in Vermont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 10:44 AM   post #17 of 35
400 ted
MTF Member

MTF Member # 4193

Rabbit,
I have a 400 with a Loader, front and rear PTO's, Tiller, Gannon, and a 60" finish mower and I would be lost without it. Alan is sooo right that a Loader will spoil you because you find so many uses for it other than moving dirt, I'm so bad (lazy) that I fire up the 400 to move a gallon of paint from the front to the back of the house!!! Ted
400 ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 AM   post #18 of 35
SuperSport396-375HP
MTF Member

MTF Member # 13517

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 ted View Post
Rabbit,
I have a 400 with a Loader, front and rear PTO's, Tiller, Gannon, and a 60" finish mower and I would be lost without it. Alan is sooo right that a Loader will spoil you because you find so many uses for it other than moving dirt, I'm so bad (lazy) that I fire up the 400 to move a gallon of paint from the front to the back of the house!!! Ted
Ted, that is quite a set up you have there!
SuperSport396-375HP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2009, 07:37 PM   post #19 of 35
Alan in Vermont
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 18320

I'm working through what would be required to put the loader pump on a seperate drive, making the loader hydraulics "live", so I won't have to run the rear PTO at the same time as the loader pump. It is both annoying and potentially dangerous to have the rear implement rotating when using he loader.

I'm thinking along the lines of adding a third groove to the crank pulley, then mounting the pump as high as possible between the frame rails. It will necessitate cutting the front stub off the PTO shaft at the front axle. No big deal as I cannot use front attachments with the loader installed anyhow.

There will need to be some way to disengage the pump for cold starting. I absolutely hate to have a hydro pump getting spun up in cold weather. With a diosconnect I can fire the engine, let it warm up and then idle it down and bring the loader pump online. Maybe no need for that but I think it helps with both pump and starter life.
Alan in Vermont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 11:40 PM   post #20 of 35
Smilinsam
MTF Member

MTF Member # 2339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
Rabbit, the JD 20 was a bolt-on, I think the 400 was the only application for the 20.
Alan, if I may but in here, I have a unidentified loader I got on a 314 Deere I just got done ressurecting. I was wondering of you had any more pictires of your 400 with the model 20 loader?
I have a suspicion that the loader on this 314 was originally on a 400. Other 400's with loaders I have seen pictures of use the same bucket as whats on mine. There are no tags on this loader i have and I have been trying to find out what loader it is so I can get a parts book for diagrams. Got a few issues I need to look into..

Thanks, Sam
Smilinsam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 01:07 AM   post #21 of 35
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24

The JD 400 can take a Kwik-way loader as well as a Kwik-way Backhoe.
Loader $2,500
Backhoe $6,000
Kwik-way link for Deere tractors http://www.kwmanufacturing.com/asst/pdf/jd_general.pdf and the Home page http://www.kwmanufacturing.com/index.htm
Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
White Model: GT2055

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 07:44 AM   post #22 of 35
Smilinsam
MTF Member

MTF Member # 2339

This loader isnt a KwikWay. Had one of those before, and an Allis/Simplicity one too. This one seems closer to a Johnson Workhorse, though the bucket is different. The thing that makes me think it was for a 400 is that the side braces are too long. There are 4 holes in the front to mount and the forward pair of holes dont line up with anything on the tractor.

Last edited by Smilinsam; 07-01-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: add link
Smilinsam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 06:08 PM   post #23 of 35
TerriLynn
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 62051

We have a John Deere 400. Where do you add hydraulic fluid?? Runs great, but when you engage mower deck it dies and sounds like it is out of fluid or low on fluid. Any ideas greatly appreciated!
Thank you
TerriLynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 07:23 PM   post #24 of 35
Wfburton159
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 37906

TerriLynn, you add hydraulic fluid in the back. Under the gas cap about a foot there is a square 90 degree fitting. Take the plug out and add fluid till you can see about 3/4 of an inch of fluid in the clear hose that goes through the hitch plate. This shouldnt have anything to do with the mower deck or the tractor dying. Can you spin the mower deck by hand? Be sure to check the oil level in the gearbox mounted to the mower deck. They are expensive to buy used or have rebuilt.

John Deere 445
60" Mid Mount Mower
Converted quick tach model 50 snowthrower with long chute
Custom 52" quick tach front blade
Modified foam filled turfs off a 400 (183# each)
75# wheel weights and chains
Hard sided cab with the works
John Deere 40" Front Mount Thatcher w/hydraulic lift
Wfburton159 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 07:33 PM   post #25 of 35
attorney_barnabas_collins
MTF Junior Poster Esq.

MTF Member # 7575

I spent $300+ on a deck driveshaft last year, and the gearbox isn't nearly that cheap. Keep it lubed. I'd guess you have something wrapped around the blades (the cheapest solution, then search further to you find what isn't turning) I'd also guess the whining is from the PTO belts squealing trying to turn the non turning gearbox.
attorney_barnabas_collins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 PM   post #26 of 35
PA318Guy
Ole man winter is gone!!!

MTF Member # 31960
Garage

Had one at a repair shop pull a 318 that was slightly buried right out and tow it to my truck without even chaning the pitch on the engine. A real tough tractor and with the 60 inch mower a real grass eater!

Current Machine JD 322

Former Machines: JD 318, JD 216, JD 212, 1965 JD 110

My videos: www.youtube.com/user/tkelley16341
PA318Guy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 10:36 PM   post #27 of 35
69project
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 40646

Ok, $1k for a JD400 is a steal since you say it is in prime shape with a 3 pt and the deck. You can't go wrong.

The front/rear/power steering are all on the same hydraulic system. So if the front ports are not leaking then you should be fine.

The front PTO is a 2000 RPM PTO. The mid-PTO (where the mower deck shaft hooks up is a 2K RPM PTO as well. It's really the back side of the front PTO so...

The Rear PTO is really a gear reducer. It bolts up to the rear end and has a drive shaft that runs to the Mid-PTO. It takes the 2000 RPM's and reduces it to 840 RPM NOT 800. That is really a bummer because it kills all chances of using a rear mount mower unless you are brave enough to overspeed one meant to run at 540 RPM.

If you want to run a tiller for the 400, you will need the Rear PTO ($350-450, anything else is too expensive) and a 35 or 35A tiller (I have no idea what the difference is) The tillers generally sell in the $800-1000 range and only pop up occasionally on Ebay but they do show up.

You can mount a 4 way 54 inch front blade on front blade. They are in the $400-500 range, IIRC. You can get a blower for a 400 as well. It is hydraulically controlled as well. I don't track prices on those but generally $500 and up gets in the range. Both blades and decks show on a regular basis on Ebay and other places. You won't find them much on CL unless you happen to live in the Mid-West/North Central US. So you maybe in luck.

The 20 Loader is a bit of a rare piece but the St. Louis, MO CL has one for sale right now for $1500 but it needs some work. The frame bolts right onto the tractor, but you will need a couple hours and a buddy to do it the first time, ask me how I know. If you mount the loader, you can't mount a mower deck, only rear attachments so....make sure you have a need for a FEL or have a good back up mower.

There are a bunch of other attachments you can find for the 400 but they tend to be a little hard to find. Most attachments are indeed 400 specific but the most common ones folks need for mowing and snow removal are pretty easy to source.

I would buy it for $1k and if you don't like it, you can sell it for twice that on Ebay without too much sweat. Wait until the fall or next spring to do it though.
69project is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 AM   post #28 of 35
Cat385B

MTF Member # 22567
Garage

This thread was started in June of 09, and rabbit rescue has not visited since August of 2010.
Cat385B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 06:45 AM   post #29 of 35
69project
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 40646

Well at least it generated some good discussion on 400's.
69project is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 07:22 AM   post #30 of 35
JD400-
Rookie

MTF Member # 60780

I wonder if he bought it?
JD400- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.