Farmall H overbore? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-17-2011, 07:51 PM   post #1 of 7
Dalez
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 55704
Default Farmall H overbore?

Did any of the H's come from the factory with the cylinders overbored. I am getting ready to replace the rings and looking at the options available there are two options. 3 and 3/8 which is standard or 3 and 7/16 size which they are calling overbore. I measured the cylinder walls and it is 3 and 7/16. This tractor has been in my family since new and I don't remember it ever being rebuilt. It is a 1950 SN# FBH 329105 XI

Thanks in advance.

Dale
Toro 12/38 Lawn Tractor
Dalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 08:10 PM   post #2 of 7
amf1414
certified tractor nut

MTF Member # 26032
Default Re: Farmall H overbore?

the h uses dry sleeves in the engine. and iirc the 3 and 7/16 bore was the bore size used in the firepower kits which gave it a few more horses( the kit also came with parts to modify the governer and carb to work with the increased bore). as i have been told and read somewhere the firepower kits were available as a dealer installed option or the farmer could buy the kit and install it himself. hope this helps
49 farmall H restoring it now and i'm not going to have it done for awhile i want it to be perfect

R.I.P socks 07/08/96 - 07/22/2010

http://www.powerequipmentforum.com/ come check us out
amf1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 09:34 PM   post #3 of 7
Dalez
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 55704

That makes sense. I just don't want to order the wrong size parts even though I measured over and over. Now I wonder what was changed in the carb since I am rebuilding that also.

This was a fine running tractor but I never thought it was souped up, I just compared it to a 1940 H that was owned by my father and uncles. That's why I chose this one to restore.

Dale
Toro 12/38 Lawn Tractor
Old 04-18-2011, 12:57 AM   post #4 of 7
amf1414
certified tractor nut

MTF Member # 26032

i'm not sure on what other parts were changed on the carbs and governers it more than likely was just a fuel metering setting on the carb that got changed but i'm not 100% on that only reason i know about the firepower kits at all is that a friend of mine in the used tractor business bought the inventory of a closed IH dealer and he has a pallet full of nos firepower kits for the a, c, and m. after seeing that i did some reading on the kits and know that they made one for the h he just didn't have one but i'm sure if you do an internet search on the kits you can find out what exactly was in them and what changes were made to the tractor aside from the obvious larger sleeves. from what i understand those nos kits are worth 800- 1000 to die-hard IH fans just for the originality. and you probably wouldn't notice much difference in power since at most it would only add something like 10hp but sometimes that is all the difference you need when it comes to getting the job done better.
49 farmall H restoring it now and i'm not going to have it done for awhile i want it to be perfect

R.I.P socks 07/08/96 - 07/22/2010

http://www.powerequipmentforum.com/ come check us out
amf1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011, 10:49 PM   post #5 of 7
elhigh
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20096

Since you already have the big bore sleeves, have you looked at moving to high altitude pistons? I think the H could be equipped with 5000- and 8000-ft pistons, add some compression. Since even the cheap gas available now compares very favorably to the weak sauce the H was designed for, you shouldn't have any trouble with pinging. And the extra pop shows up on the drawbar.
elhigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 PM   post #6 of 7
Dalez
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 55704

Here's a pic of the pistons. Searched for Firepower but all that came up was FireCrater. Seems like these may already higher compression. I think that's what AMF1414 meant to say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN1574.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	153843  
Toro 12/38 Lawn Tractor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 09:05 PM   post #7 of 7
AMCJavelin74
Old Iron 1%er

MTF Member # 43316

[QUOTE=amf1414;1668872 a friend of mine in the used tractor business bought the inventory of a closed IH dealer and he has a pallet full of nos firepower kits for the a, c, and m.[/QUOTE]

He ought to get the specs for all the parts, and have someone manufacture "reproduction" (here in the USA) firepower kits. Heck, I'd buy one if the price is reasonable.
AMCJavelin74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.