walk behind snowthrower - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 11-04-2010, 02:24 PM   post #1 of 27
Victory
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6699
Default walk behind snowthrower

Put this thread in the right section if I got it wrong. I looked under the titles and did not see covering this or I missed it.

My best friend plans to buy the 30" wide JD walk behind snowblower. From what I see on line it looks like a real nice machine and should serve him well.
1. Has anyone else used it?
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa...=LP25939&tM=HO
Plus or minus views?
2. He wants to buy the cab for $129. That JD cab looks el cheapo. I have a '93 Troy-Bilt and my cab was $300 and I haven't had to do a thing to it except clean the plastic windows. I have done a search but can't find any other companies making cabs for walk behinds. Any suggestion or links would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff
Victory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 02:49 PM   post #2 of 27
johndeere
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 207
Default Re: walk behind snowthrower

If you compare the John Deere to a Simplicity you will see there the same machine.I have had a Simplicity for about 4 years now and have had good luck with it.If I was buying today it would be a John Deere but Simplicity was not building them for John Deere back then.Simplicity has a heavy duty cab available bright orange might look funny on a Deere but would work.
johndeere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 03:01 PM   post #3 of 27
FrankMA
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 10550

I have heard good reports on these on other OPE forums. Like JD said, they are a Simplicity which is a very good, proven brand.

Honda HS928TA Snowblower
Honda HS621AS Snowthrower
Honda HS520A Snowthrower
Honda HS624WA Snowblower (Sold 8/23/2010)
Honda EM6500SX Generator
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
McCulloch MS1635 Chainsaw
Weedeater SST25 Line Trimmer

"It is what it is!"
FrankMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 03:30 PM   post #4 of 27
blown67
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36477

I bought this one 2 seasons ago, from a guy who said he used it once, I didn't see that he had regular bolts in place of shear pins installed and I blew the gearbox out of it the first time I used it, I went to Deere to get the parts (90 bucks) and they didn't stock them, but he sold me ones for an Ariens, they were 20 dollars cheaper than the list price on the Deere parts. Turns out Ariens makes this machine for Deere. Does Simplicity make them for Ariens?

blown67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 05:25 PM   post #5 of 27
ggsteve
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 9436
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown67 View Post
I bought this one 2 seasons ago, from a guy who said he used it once, I didn't see that he had regular bolts in place of shear pins installed and I blew the gearbox out of it the first time I used it, I went to Deere to get the parts (90 bucks) and they didn't stock them, but he sold me ones for an Ariens, they were 20 dollars cheaper than the list price on the Deere parts. Turns out Ariens makes this machine for Deere. Does Simplicity make them for Ariens?

That is definitely an Ariens but I also think it is more than two years old (maybe 6-8). Here's my Ariens, a 2004 model.

Simplicity/Snapper/Briggs & Stratton makes them for Deere now. If you like these models I think this clone at Sears is hard to beat value wise with the electronic controls:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G11
69 JD 110H 37A blower 50 cart
71 JD 140H3 integral hitch 54" 4-way blade 46" deck cozy cab
71 JD 140H1
72 JD 110 parts
78 JD 316 49 blower
81 JD 317 Onan JB Sr. 46" deck 80 Cart
84 JD 214 39 deck 43 blade

Toro 212-5 36" blower
74 Concord (MTD) 990
12 cu. ft. poly cart, JD front dethatcher, plug aerator, drop spreader, box blade, 10" bottom plow, sweeper

Last edited by ggsteve; 11-04-2010 at 05:32 PM.
ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 05:49 PM   post #6 of 27
FrankMA

MTF Member # 10550

The handlebars and bucket usually provide a good indication of the company of origin.

Honda HS928TA Snowblower
Honda HS621AS Snowthrower
Honda HS520A Snowthrower
Honda HS624WA Snowblower (Sold 8/23/2010)
Honda EM6500SX Generator
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
McCulloch MS1635 Chainsaw
Weedeater SST25 Line Trimmer

"It is what it is!"
FrankMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 05:54 PM   post #7 of 27
blown67
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36477

I know mine is also an 04, I bought it 2 seasons ago, the original owner bought it used it twice and hired a guy to plow his driveway, he at least drained the gas out before storing it away. His company was relocating him to Texas and was selling it in July, I think I did Ok for $200, well $290 after the new gearbox.....
Old 11-04-2010, 06:57 PM   post #8 of 27
ggsteve
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 9436
Garage

Quote:
I know mine is also an 04, I bought it 2 seasons ago, the original owner bought it used it twice and hired a guy to plow his driveway, he at least drained the gas out before storing it away. His company was relocating him to Texas and was selling it in July, I think I did Ok for $200, well $290 after the new gearbox.....
$200? Wow, nice deal!
69 JD 110H 37A blower 50 cart
71 JD 140H3 integral hitch 54" 4-way blade 46" deck cozy cab
71 JD 140H1
72 JD 110 parts
78 JD 316 49 blower
81 JD 317 Onan JB Sr. 46" deck 80 Cart
84 JD 214 39 deck 43 blade

Toro 212-5 36" blower
74 Concord (MTD) 990
12 cu. ft. poly cart, JD front dethatcher, plug aerator, drop spreader, box blade, 10" bottom plow, sweeper
ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 07:47 PM   post #9 of 27
Deereman76
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 41263
Garage

From what I have heard from the guys at my JD dealership is the John Deere blowers don't run very well. He said there are better machines out on the market.

Best regards, Deereman
Deereman76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 08:33 PM   post #10 of 27
KATT
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 34056

He used it once and went thru the shear bolts ?? How ??
KATT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 08:46 PM   post #11 of 27
Mike Michaels
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36554

That is definitely an Ariens. I have the same model in Ariens orange from 2002. Although the Tecumseh Snow King engine runs fantastic, the snowblower itself is a POS. I've had every part of that blower apart to fix one thing or another every season and I hate the thing. It's the primary reason I'm on this board and dreaming of when I will be able to buy an X500 with a blower. I'll be more than happy if I can get $250 out of mine when I get an X500. I tend to think the Simplicity built machines are better, but Briggs & Stratton Power Division bought Simplicity a year or two ago and I suspect their cost cutting mentality will eventually leach all the quality out of Simplicity.

I've only broken my shear pins once. Stay out of the ice chunks the city plow leaves behind and you shouldn't have any problem. Plan instead to replace the auger belt every season or two to maintain an acceptable throwing distance. The belt tensioner is a crappy design and never should have made it off the drawing board. Wipe down snow and water off of all the non-galvanized cotter pins after every use or else they will rust through in one season. The friction wheel transmission - sometimes you'll have six speeds so slow you can nap all the way to the end of the driveway and other times the slowest speed will have you almost running to keep up with it. On the good side, I haven't had the auger gear assembly apart... yet.

It's hard to tell exactly from your picture, but it appears that the plastic belt cover has two worn grooves in the top like mine. That's because they couldn't even design the plastic belt cover to have sufficient clearance to the belt pulley.

Quote:

Last edited by Mike Michaels; 11-04-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Mike Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 PM   post #12 of 27
sadixon49

MTF Member # 4517

The current JD walk behinds are built by Simplicity/Snapper and are very good units. Unfortunately, many of the previous units were built by Murray and were not very good. In fact JD lost so many customers, and had so much warranty work on them, that they dropped walk behind blowers from their line-up for a few years. In a strange twist, now that Briggs owns Simplicity,Snapper, and Murray the current Murray blowers are also Simplicity clones and are pretty good.
steve
sadixon49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM   post #13 of 27
Nouveau Redneck
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 19566

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATT View Post
He used it once and went thru the shear bolts ?? How ??
It happened to me on my first time out with my walk behind too. I was blowing the snow off of the front sidewalk last year for my new next door neighbor (my mother-in-law) and I didn't realize that the previous owner had left a number of rubber welcome mats scattered about, as well as a heavy garden hose...

I hit two different rubber welcome mats at 2 different times and got each of them tangled up in the auger, which took less than half a second, before the shear pins gave up their lives to save the gearbox. I put new shear pins on after untangling the first ruber mat from the auger, and less than 5 minutes later, another rubber welcome mat and another set of shear pins, and then about 10 minutes later, the heavy rubber garden hose and another set of shear pins.
2008 John Deere X500
2010 John Deere X304
2014 Kubota BX25D w/50" snow blower

You know you might be a Nouveau Redneck if...
1. You use the cup holder on your tractor to hold your cosmopolitan instead of a beer
2. Your "Santa on a tractor" Christmas yard decoration is actually a high tech digital hologram.
3. Your deer camp cuisine is better than most 3 star restaurants.
Nouveau Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 PM   post #14 of 27
pawber
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33692

I have 9 years on my 724D, macadam driveway, no troubles yet.
Inlaws had a stone driveway, they changed over to a plow on their lawn tractor.
had a JD 214 - 11 years
had a Bolens QT16 - 7 years (talk about a whiney transaxle)
had 2 Bolens 1050's - 21 years & 3 years

pawber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 01:16 AM   post #15 of 27
blown67
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36477

Not really sure how he broke the shear pins, for 200 I wasn't asking many questions and getting it loaded up as quick as possible. I ran over and outdoor electrical box, my fault, I was off the driveway and forgot it was there. Sorry you have had such a bad time with yours Mike Michaels, but for the couple years I used it, it was flawless. There are no groves worn in the pulley cover, the machine still looks just like it did in that picture. I dont use it anymore, I drained the gas, put some oil in the cylinder and tucked it away in case I need it. Being 6'4" I need to hunch over to use it, with a not so great lower back and and having a long sloped driveway, I cold barely walk after using it for an hour to clear my driveway, let alone my 2 elderly neighbors drives. So I picked up this last winter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.