Gravely 16G Professional PTO clutch is stuck - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 06-14-2010, 07:41 PM   post #1 of 26
Dvycrocket09
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 46270
Help Gravely 16G Professional PTO clutch is stuck

I first have to say , I am by no means any kind of expert when in comes to in depth repair of anything . I can do moderate repairs of machinery but anything involved I feel it is better in the hands of a professional .
Well I hate to be so new and ask for help right out of the gate but I have a 1987 Gravely 16 G professional , Koehler twin 16 horse. I bought it only a couple years old and this mower ran great for the last how many years.
The only issue I have had with it was an issue with the pto not disengaging at times , this was only on and off over the past year.
A month ago I ran the mower ( 2 acres of mowing) and it ran well. Again PTO did not disengage when I was done mowing , thinking that was not uncommon for this mower , I just parked it and that was it.
A week later I tried to turn the mower over and it would not turn over . It was only turning over v-e-r-y slowly.
I took it into a repair shop and they immediately told me it was a big job to fix . They explained to me that my PTO clutch is stuck in and that running it the way I did , and not disengageing the clutch can cause the transmission to almost weld itself to being permanently engaged . To fix it would be too much for them at this time of year. I asked them roughly what would it cost and they said it is 8.5 hours of labor and 400+ in parts, or more or less 1000 to fix, minimum!

Is their any easier of a fix for a stuck PTO clutch?
If not ...
2.How difficult is this job? I have an auto mechanic who is good and was telling me that he slowed down a little over the next day or so and he was willing to work on it .
Is their any step by step manuals or data available to access for me to review that I can give to my mechanic before any disassembly? I heard that taking them apart can be really tricky and disasterous for the inexperienced Gravely repairman.
I am wondering . Is this worth fixing this mower at that cost?
Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dave
Dvycrocket09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 09:43 PM   post #2 of 26
arcam8123
Gravelyyard.com

MTF Member # 1157
Default Re: Gravely 16G Professional PTO clutch is stuck

The first things you need to do is make sure it is adjusted properly and the oil level is correct. You can get a manual for it at www.oldgravelys.net
arcam8123 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 PM   post #3 of 26
PA RedRider
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 32057

I have a G which exhibits similar symptoms...ie., PTO continues to spin for a few seconds after the PTO lever is positioned to OFF. It will eventually disengage. Have to assume the lever is out of adjustment. After reading your story, think I need to stop putting it off.

----
Looking for a home for:
- Fan belt for a 6.6/7.6
- Seat pan support brackets for a G-series
- Axle bearing retainers for a G-series
- 5665 2-wheeler

Looking for:
- Side shields for a rotary cultivator
- Steering brake kit for a 5000 series
- G-series lift assist kit
PA RedRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 04:08 AM   post #4 of 26
Mickeymotormount

MTF Member # 20928

I would definitely adjust the clutch as per the instructions supplied by arcam. If the pto still won't disengage, you may have to get into the transmission to repair it. I would have to say that since this has been a gradual process of the pto not disengaging at times, and finally ending up with it not disengaging at all, that the adjustment should do the trick. Hopefully, the clutch is not worn out as that requires engine removal and trans disassembly to remove/ repair/ replace the pto shaft. Here are some pics of the clutch and transmission. It's not too bad to work on. Just methodical care and follow the instructions found here:

http://www.oldgravelys.net/pdf/Pro_G_Serv_Man.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	109039

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	109040

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	109041

Ford and Gravely Nut

Mickeymotormount is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 AM   post #5 of 26
Fla Don
Gravely bug bit.

MTF Member # 33720

Just be forewarned that even if it has a blue spring on the PTO shaft, you do not want it coming loose. Current red spring ups the rate from medium pressure to heavy pressure. A loose spring can be dangerous.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:09 AM   post #6 of 26
yamato72
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 14161
Garage

When you replace the PTO clutch, can you buy the whole assembly ready-to-go, or does every repair involve messing with that spring?

I know I will have to replace mine eventually and I have read through the replacement instructions, I don't mind cracking the tranny case but my preference would be to not have to disassemble the PTO itself.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 AM   post #7 of 26
Dvycrocket09
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 46270

I am not sure as to the extent of the issue but I really appreciate the replies and tips.
This mower has been great to own and all I did was oil changes and basic maintenance. I can't believe I have ran it this many years without an issue.

This couldn't happen last fall could it. The problem is, my grass is growing like crazy with all this rain and my neighbor, who is happily lending me his, is probably wondering when I will ever get my mower back.

So I am in the market for a good running PTO 5 -6 ft mounted finish mower till I can the rider back in business.
Anyone in the Erie Pa area that has one they would like to sell drop me a line. I would prefer a 6' rear discharge finish mower.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:45 PM   post #8 of 26
george_lehr
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26054

If you disconnect the mower drive, you shouild be able to get the engine running and warmed up. Then you may be able to reconnect the mower drive and restart the engine to try some unsticking remedies. If adjusting or overfilling with oil doesn't un stick it, go to the yahoo gravelyclub and look up message #101290. Harry Ashton made a tool that he used to disengage his stuck pto clutch. He uploaded put pictures of it in the photos section. The pto clutch is somewhat accessible when the engine is removed. Before you remove the engine to use the tool though, you should also search the archives there for other posts regarding stuck pto clutches and consider trying some of the remedies (basically some method of applying a sudden torque to the pto shaft). When I finish mowing and disengage the pto, if it doesn't disengage right away, usually just revving the engine quickly is enough to break it free.
It helps to understand how the clutch works to understand why/how it is stuck engaged and why/how it may be unstuck. The large spring mentioned earlier and shown in the picture puts pressure on two clutch cups to engage when the pto control is "IN". When the pto control is moved "OUT", the large spring is compressed so as not to exert pressure on the clutch cups. That's why proper pto control lever adjustment and ample lubrication are so improtant in freeing a stuck pto clutch.
Good Luck
George
george_lehr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 01:50 PM   post #9 of 26
yamato72

MTF Member # 14161
Garage

I was sure that I had a stuck clutch last year and it turned out that I had adjusted the lever wrong. Make sure you follow the adjustment instructions to the letter before you split the tranny.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:49 PM   post #10 of 26
Mickeymotormount

MTF Member # 20928

Don has a good point. Don't even think about trying to work on the pto unless you have the proper pullers. I found this setup in the Gravely 8000 series service manual on page 29 of the book(page 32 as counted by the computer).
http://www.oldgravelys.net/pdf/8000_...v_Man_0385.pdf
Once I saw that and knew I had the pullers, it was easy. But caution must still be exercised as there is alot of potential energy built up in the spring.
Instead of long bolts, I used high strength all thread and just went through the bearing puller and balancer puller and double nutted everything with double washers. The socket went over the shaft on the small gear end of the pto shaft to give the puller something to push against. Went smooth as silk but it was still done with care. Below is a pic of what I used. Believe me, if you have the knowhow to pull the pto shaft out of the trans, it's not beyond your ability to work on the pto shaft itself. Remember, the right tools make the job--- and make it done safely.

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	109074

Ford and Gravely Nut

Old 06-15-2010, 03:28 PM   post #11 of 26
Dvycrocket09
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 46270

You guys are awesome.
I can't thank you enough for helping a new guy out.

I take it the 16G is worth fixing. One guy told me I may want to start looking for a new mower.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:51 PM   post #12 of 26
Fla Don
Gravely bug bit.

MTF Member # 33720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvycrocket09 View Post
You guys are awesome.

I take it the 16G is worth fixing. One guy told me I may want to start looking for a new mower.
We have a Smilie for that person.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:15 PM   post #13 of 26
yamato72

MTF Member # 14161
Garage

I just re-read the PTO service instructions and yes, as long as you are careful and methodical, it appears to be a straightforward procedure. How do you know what to order ahead of time? Just the clutch cones? Obviously you should inspect everything for wear once the shaft is out.

And yes, Mr. Crockett, by all means hang on to that machine!
Old 06-15-2010, 04:40 PM   post #14 of 26
Mickeymotormount

MTF Member # 20928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Don View Post
When you put the gear back on the crankshaft, make sure the key and keyways are on the top. As you have the red spring, if you need to do a PTO clutch job, you should only need the cone and cups.
The above quote refers to a post about a 12 G transmission repair showing the red spring on the pto. According to Don, the cone and cups need to be replaced. I would have thought that the cone only needed replacing as long as the cups were good.I think most of the G series came with the red spring.(Don please correct me if I am wrong).
I believe the expense in replacing parts lies in the cost of the cone that has the lining material on it along with the bearing/gear.

Ford and Gravely Nut

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 04:52 PM   post #15 of 26
Mickeymotormount

MTF Member # 20928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvycrocket09 View Post
You guys are awesome.

I would say definitely worth fixing. Don't rule out the clutch adjustment as that would be the first and easiest thing to check out.

Ford and Gravely Nut

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.