New to me Huskee - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 06-02-2010, 12:29 PM   post #1 of 4
Adams74chevy
Rust Collector

MTF Member # 44591
Default New to me Huskee

Last night I picked up a Huskee (model 13AS673G131) 42" w/ 18.5HP Briggs & Stratton (model 42A707) from a local guy on CL. He bought it 3 years ago off an older gentleman in town who kept it in the garage and he has kept it in the garage. So the metal and especially the deck on it is pretty darn nice for the age. He said it needs a battery, has an oil leak and the drive belt feels like it's slipping because it doesn't get up to speed it goes the same slow speed no matter what gear the selector is in. After hearing it run and looking it over I think it should be fairly easy to fix up. I think the oil is leaking onto the belts causing the slipping, and I noticed the battery cables were loose when he put jumpers on it to start it, so I'm going to tighten them down and put it on a slow charge for a night and see if that fixes the battery. If not Wally world has them for $25ish. My biggest worry is the oil leak and what'll be involved in fixing it and the drive belt replacement. Either way its better (and cheaper) than the worn-out when I got it Yard Man I've spent countless hours fussing over, replacing parts, and mowing with the past 3 years...but it still served it's purpose cheaper than having someone mow my lawn or the cost of a new one. For your viewing pleasure the CL pics of the "new" Huskee.
Attached Images

Adams74chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 01:48 AM   post #2 of 4
mickirig1
Old Fix it Guy,Paramedic

MTF Member # 44293
Default Re: New to me Huskee

I have one of them in the 11 horse version. Most are MTD that have been badged Huskee( Tractor Supply ). Get the engine number off it. The number should be right up front on the top engine shroud.Most are B&S engines,so you can get parts for them fairly easy. Look at the oil dip stick area. Most B&S engines have the dip stick seal fail at the engine connection. It causes oil to leak when it's running. Most model numbers on a Huskee Or Huskey from Tractor Supply will not come up on Internet searches. Good luck with your searches.
mickirig1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 02:26 AM   post #3 of 4
hankll
Old Iron......Forever

MTF Member # 35652
Default Re: New to me Huskee

If not leaking there, then it may be the crank oil seal on the bottom of the engine. Not a hard fix, but a bit heavy on the labor. Have to remove engine to get it done. But Mick, is right, they usually have to have the "O" ring replaced on the dipstick. That is very common.

Belts slipping means both drive belts are slipping. To check, remove both screws on the shifter plate, unscrew knob and remove shifter plate. Assuming yours is between your legs below front of seat. The Vari-pulley is under there. There is a sticky on here about how to R&R the drive belts. Very good to follow it for that repair. That should get you more than one speed.

Duh, yea, you have that type. Went back and looked at your pics, it is the std shift on the go system, with the Variator pulley system. A good hour or so, and you can have both belts replaced.

Unless of course, there is oil on the belts, then that would have an effect on the motion of the rider.
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 11:32 PM   post #4 of 4
mickirig1
Old Fix it Guy,Paramedic

MTF Member # 44293
Default Huskee

I have one that is ancient. Having a B&S engine you can get the parts for anything on the engine. A lawn care equipment parts place should be able to get you anything you need for it. The dip stick seal took him about 10 sec to find for mine. As long as you don't have to crack the case open, most seal replacements are fairly easy.
mickirig1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.